Physical Explanation of a Pull-Back Car

In summary, the conversation is about the pull-back car and the physics concepts behind its movement. The person asking the question is trying to understand the energy generated by the spring inside the car when it is released. The answer is to apply the law of conservation for total energy, which includes both kinetic and elastic potential energy. The term "elastic nature" is used to describe the potential energy in this case.
deanchhsw
Hello. I have troubles understanding how the pull-back car works in a physical sense, so I decided to post a question.

By "pull-back" car, I mean one of thoese Hess Cars where you pull and the spring inside it shrinks and once you release the car the spring inside gives it a thrust forward.

However, I need to come up with the physics-related concepts on how it works. I have considered recoil velocity, but if I remember correctly
recoil velocity is related to Newton's third law, like how the gun gets a backward movement after it fires the bullet, proportional to its mass, so I don't think it has anything to do with the Kinetic Energy generated by the spring. So, what is going on? Obviously, as a student I have yet to learn all the concepts in Physics, so please tell me,

how can you explain(or calculate) the energy generated by the shrunken spring when it is released? not in common sense, but in phyiscal sense.

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your last question is elementary.Just apply the law of conservation for total energy...So it involves KE and elestic nature potential energy.

Daniel.

Oh. I never knew that there was an "elastic nature" for the potential energy.

That's what I needed, thank you so much :)

If u don't like that word,maybe:"elastic origin,elastic kind" would do... :tongue2:

Daniel.

PS.You're welcome. :smile:

What is a pull-back car?

A pull-back car is a toy car that is powered by a mechanism that involves pulling the car back and then releasing it to propel it forward. The energy created by pulling the car back is stored in a spring or rubber band, which is then released to move the car forward.

How does a pull-back car work?

A pull-back car works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy. When the car is pulled back, potential energy is stored in the spring or rubber band. When the car is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the car to move forward.

What materials are used to make a pull-back car?

The materials used to make a pull-back car can vary, but typically include plastic, rubber, and metal. The body of the car is usually made of plastic, while the wheels are made of rubber for better traction. The mechanism that creates the pull-back and release motion is often made of metal.

Are pull-back cars safe for children to play with?

Yes, pull-back cars are generally safe for children to play with as they do not have any sharp edges or small parts that could be a choking hazard. However, it is important to supervise young children while they are playing with pull-back cars to avoid any potential accidents.

Can a pull-back car be used to demonstrate scientific concepts?

Yes, a pull-back car can be used to demonstrate several scientific concepts, such as potential and kinetic energy, friction, and motion. It can also be used to teach children about basic physics principles, such as force, acceleration, and velocity.