Very quick insulating sphere electric field question

In summary: The correct equation to use is [1] with r = 5.0cm and Q = -35*10^-6C. This gives us an answer of 2.60*10^7N/C, which is the correct answer.
binbagsss
Given the standard formulas of an insulating sphere, inside and outside respectively:

[1] Q/4πΣσr^2
[2] Qr/4πΣσR^3

- where R referes to the radius of the solid insulating sphere.

Charged paint is spread in a very thin uniform layer over the surface of a plastic sphere o diameter 12.0cm, gicing it a charge of -35*10^-6C, Find E:
a) just outside the paint layer?
b) just inside the paint layer?
c) 5.00cm outside the surface of the paint layer?

My Attempt:

a) just outside: Using [1] with r=6.0cm and Q = -35*10^-6 , I obtain 8.74*10^7N/C , is the correct answer
b) just inside: E = 0 (From Gauss's Law)
c) just outside: Using [1] with r = 5.0cm and R = 6.0cm, I obtain 1.26*10^8N/C, however the correct answer is 2.60*10^7N/C

If anyone could point my in the right direction for c, greatly appreciated, ta =]

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
Given the standard formulas of an insulating sphere, inside and outside respectively:

[1] Q/4πΣσr^2
[2] Qr/4πΣσR^3

- where R referes to the radius of the solid insulating sphere.
Um, that should be outside and inside respectively because the first equation is for outside and the second equation is for inside.

binbagsss said:
c) just outside: Using [1] with r = 5.0cm and R = 6.0cm, I obtain 1.26*10^8N/C, however the correct answer is 2.60*10^7N/C
Yes, you should be using equation 1, but since you've mentioned R, I'm guessing you actually used equation 2?

1. What is an insulating sphere?

An insulating sphere is a spherical object that does not conduct electricity. This means that it does not allow the flow of electric charges through it.

2. How does an insulating sphere affect electric fields?

An insulating sphere can create an electric field around it, just like any other charged object. However, because it does not conduct electricity, the distribution of charges on its surface is different from a conducting sphere.

3. What is the electric field inside an insulating sphere?

The electric field inside an insulating sphere is zero. This is because the charges on the surface of the sphere are evenly distributed and cancel out each other's electric fields.

4. Can an insulating sphere store electric charge?

Yes, an insulating sphere can store electric charge on its surface. However, the charge will be localized on the surface and will not be able to flow through the sphere.

5. How is the electric field around an insulating sphere affected by its size and charge?

The electric field around an insulating sphere is directly proportional to its charge and inversely proportional to its size. This means that a larger charged insulating sphere will have a stronger electric field compared to a smaller one with the same charge.