Symmetric vector to tensor representation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a 2D vector field with two vectors in opposite directions at each point. This creates an eigenvector or tensor field situation. The goal is to find the degenerate points and represent the vectors in tensor form using the dyadic product. It is noted that the same eigenvectors can be achieved with the dyadic product of v1 and v2 or v2 and v1.
hiroman
Hi all!

I have a discrete 2D vector field with a particular characteristic: At every point, instead of having a single vector, I have two vectors which are in the opposite direction. For example, at point p(x,y)=p(0,0) I have two vectors: v1(1,1) and v2(-1,-1). And so on for all points.

I understand this becomes an "eigenvector field" situation, or a "tensor field", or "symmetric tensor field" situation.

At the end, I wish to find the so called "degenerate points" (refer to Delmarcelle, Hasselink 1993).

But first, I wish to translate these two vectors on a single point to a 2x2 tensor representation, such that T(point)=[T11(x,y) T12(x,y) ; T12(x,y) T22(x,y)].

Summarizing,

Given, two symmetric vectors at a point, v1(point)=[x1;y1] and v2(point)=[x2;y2], such that v2(point)=(-1)*v1(point) represent them in tensor form T(point)=[T11(x,y) T12(x,y) ; T12(x,y) T22(x,y)].

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized that I can use the dyadic product of two vectors to generate my tensor.

Thus, v1(point)=[1; 2]; v2(point)=[-1;-2] can give T(point)=[(1)(-1) (1)(-2); (2)(-1) (2)(-2)]
T(point)=[-1 -2;-2 -4].

Thus I can have the same eigenvectors if [dyadic product(v1,v2)] or [dyadic product(v2,v1)] since they give me the same tensor.

If anyone is interested.

1. What is a symmetric vector?

A symmetric vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It can be represented by a line with an arrow pointing in a specific direction, where the length of the line represents the magnitude of the vector.

2. What is a tensor representation?

A tensor representation is a mathematical tool used to describe the relationships between different vectors in a system. It consists of a set of numbers organized in a specific way that allows for the calculation of various physical quantities.

3. How is a symmetric vector converted to a tensor representation?

A symmetric vector can be converted to a tensor representation by using a symmetric tensor. The symmetric tensor is a mathematical object that represents the symmetric relationships between different vectors in a system.

4. What are the advantages of using a symmetric vector to tensor representation?

Using a symmetric vector to tensor representation allows for the simplification of complex mathematical calculations and makes it easier to represent and understand the relationships between different vectors in a system. It also allows for a more efficient description of physical phenomena.

5. In what fields is the use of symmetric vector to tensor representation most common?

The use of symmetric vector to tensor representation is most common in the fields of physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is especially useful in areas of mechanics, where it is used to describe the relationships between forces and motion, and in fluid dynamics, where it is used to describe the flow of fluids.