What Are the Best Introductory Physics and Chemistry Textbooks for Self-Study?

In summary, a typical freshman level physics and chemistry textbook would be Halliday and Walker, or Zumdahl if you don't have calculus.
jbmiller
Hey everyone,

What is a really good Physics textbook for one who has Geomerty, Alg II, and some Pre-Calc/Calc skills.

Also, what is a really good Chemistry textbook for one who has Geomerty, Alg II, and some Pre-Calc/Calc skills.

It would basically be an intro to classes, I'm just looking to have it over the summer so I can go through the book and basically self-teach myself all (most) the material.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there, since you have some calculus under your belt, I would recommend a typical freshman calculus based physics book. Most people agree that Halliday and Walker are the best. I would recommend getting 6th (it's in its 9th edition now) edition because the contents haven't changed amazon link. Alternatively if money isn't an issue then here's a link to the latest edition amazon link

Now, for chemistry you don't actually need calculus just some basic algebra. Anyway at the freshman level most books are the same. The two names that I know of off the top of my head are Zumdahl and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ML7A0U/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Good luck OP, I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say freshman level, do you mean high school or college?

I'm currently a freshman in high school, going into my sophomore year.

I meant college freshman, so if you're a high school freshman the physics book I linked might be a little too advanced but you seem to have the math pre-requisites so consider giving it a shot.

Well I'm learning Calc this summer, so I guess I probably wouldn't be able to do some of the things in the book intended for freshmen in college.

I should learn it (calc) pretty quickly though, the only pre-requisites required for our high schools physics course are Alg II and below, and Biology.

Well in that case here's an algebra only physics book amazon link

Alright, thanks for the help!

What is the purpose of a beginning physics textbook?

A beginning physics textbook serves as an introductory guide to the fundamental concepts and principles of physics. It aims to provide a solid foundation for students to build upon as they progress through more advanced topics in physics.

Who is a beginning physics textbook designed for?

A beginning physics textbook is typically designed for high school or college students who are new to the subject of physics. However, it can also be a helpful resource for anyone with a general interest in physics.

What topics are typically covered in a beginning physics textbook?

A beginning physics textbook may cover a wide range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. It may also introduce students to important mathematical concepts and equations used in physics.

What makes a good beginning physics textbook?

A good beginning physics textbook should be well-organized, clearly written, and visually appealing. It should also provide plenty of examples, practice problems, and real-world applications to help students understand and apply the concepts being taught.

Are there any online resources available to supplement a beginning physics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement a beginning physics textbook. These may include interactive simulations, video lectures, practice quizzes, and online forums for students to ask questions and discuss concepts. It is always recommended to use a variety of resources to enhance understanding and learning.