Frequency and wavelength of a wave

In summary, the conversation discusses a sine wave on a string and how changing the wavelength and frequency affects the graph of the wave. It is explained that changing only the frequency or only the wavelength results in a compressed or stretched graph, respectively. However, changing both factors simultaneously results in the graph remaining unchanged. The equation for the wave is also discussed, with a_0 representing the amplitude and a representing the displacement at a given point in time and space. The conversation also touches on the relationship between wavelength and frequency and the importance of keeping the speed of the string constant. Finally, a question about finding acceleration based on the wave equation is asked.
Shay10825
Hi everyone :smile: .

If I had a sine wave on a string at one instant of time how come when I reduce the wavelength and frequency by half the graph of the wave does not change.

~Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you plotting on the graph ?

The question said :

The figure below shows a sine wave on a string at one instant of time (it is a normal sine wave). Which of the graphs below shows a wave where the wavelength and frequency asr each reduced by half? The answer was the same graph.

Well, the waveform will be t he same, it's just that the frequency is halfed. So that means the period of the graph is doubled.

What does the change in wavelength do to the graph.

futb0l said:
Well, the waveform will be t he same, it's just that the frequency is halfed. So that means the period of the graph is doubled.

If the period is doubled then why does the graph look the same as the original?

Shay10825 said:

If I had a sine wave on a string at one instant of time how come when I reduce the wavelength and frequency by half the graph of the wave does not change.

~Thanks

What about the speed of the string?
You must look at the formula v=frequency*wavelength

Shay10825 said:

~Thanks

Are you certain that a change in the wavelength will not change the graph of the wave at an instant in time ?

I agree with you about the frequency, though. The instantaneous shape of the graph will not alter with frequency changes.

Do you know the one dimensional wave equation ?

[tex]a = a_0\cos(kx - \omega t)[/tex]

[itex]k[/itex] is the wave number given by [tex]\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/tex]

It describes the number of peaks of the wave over a given distance at an instant in time.

[itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular frequency given by [tex]2\pi\nu[/tex] where [itex]\nu[/itex] is the frequency, or the reciprocal of the period.

It describes the rate at which you will see peaks traveling through a fixed point in space.

Can you see the whole picture now ?

Last edited:
christinono said:
What about the speed of the string?
You must look at the formula v=frequency*wavelength

The velocity will be multiplied by .25. So why does the graph stay the same??

Looking at the equation: v=frequency*wavelength, you can see that the frequency is inversely proportional to the wavelength. Therefore, if you half the frequency, the wavelength is doubled (if the velocity stays constant, of course). Now if you half the wavelength, the frequency doubles. Can you see how these 2 cancel each other out?

No, I don't believe it should. If you were simply reducing the wavelenth in half, the graph would look "squished" horizontally by a factor of two. If you were simply reducing the frequency by a factor of 2, the graph would stretch horizontally by a factor of 2 (if all the other variables such as velocity and amplitude were kept constant, of course). But you are doing both, which means the effects cancel each other out.

christinono said:
Looking at the equation: v=frequency*wavelength, you can see that the frequency is inversely proportional to the wavelength. Therefore, if you half the frequency, the wavelength is doubled (if the velocity stays constant, of course). Now if you half the wavelength, the frequency doubles. Can you see how these 2 cancel each other out?

oh. I see it. Thanks :smile:

Curious3141 said:
[tex]a = a_0\cos(kx - \omega t)[/tex]

What does a and a_0 stand for?

i think a is amplitude.

Shay10825 said:

What does a and a_0 stand for?

a = Displacement (Amplitude) of oscillation at a given point in time and space. It is the vertical coordinate of your graph.

a_0 = Maximum amplitude of oscillation. It is the maximum vertical point your graph reaches.

The graph should be compressed by a factor of 2. The answer given is wrong. The frequency change does not affect the shape of the graph.

The equation of the wave at a particular time t1 is (modifying Curious' equation):
[tex]a = a_0\cos[2\pi(\frac{x}{\lambda} - ft_1)][/tex]

a_0 is just the amplitude of the wave.

if you factor out the lambda, it is:

[tex]a = a_0\cos[\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}(x - \lambda ft_1)][/tex]

So when [tex]\lambda[/tex] becomes 1/2 of the previous value, the coefficient becomes 2, so the graph compresses by a factor of 2.

If f becomes 1/2 of the previous value then the overall shape is unchanged, only the shift along the x-axis is changed.

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
The graph should be compressed by a factor of 2. The answer given is wrong. The frequency change does not affect the shape of the graph.

The equation of the wave at a particular time t1 is (modifying Curious' equation):
[tex]a = a_0\cos2\pi(\frac{x}{\lambda} - ft_1)[/tex]

a_0 is just the amplitude of the wave.

if you factor out the lambda, it is:

[tex]a = a_0\frac{\cos2\pi}{\lambda}(x - \lambda ft_1)[/tex]

So when [tex]\lambda[/tex] becomes 1/2 of the previous value, the coefficient becomes 2, so the graph compresses by a factor of 2.

If f becomes 1/2 of the previous value then the overall shape is unchanged, only the shift along the x-axis is changed.

I don't agree. The wavelength is dependant on the frequency if the speed of the string is kept constant.

christinono said:
I don't agree. The wavelength is dependant on the frequency if the speed of the string is kept constant.

The question didn't mention speed being constant. Besides, if speed is constant, then it is impossible for both frequency and wavelength to be 1/2 of before.

I have 1 more question.

For a sinusodial wave on a string, if y= 2sin(4x-3t) then a is?

The answer is:
-18sin (4x-3t)

I don't know where to even start

Shay10825 said:
I have 1 more question.

For a sinusodial wave on a string, if y= 2sin(4x-3t) then a is?

The answer is:
-18sin (4x-3t)

I don't know where to even start

velocity [tex]v=\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

acceleration [tex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}[/tex]

ok i understand. Thanks

1. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength of a wave?

The frequency and wavelength of a wave are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of the wave / frequency.

2. How are frequency and wavelength measured?

The frequency of a wave is measured in hertz (Hz), which is the number of cycles or vibrations per second. The wavelength of a wave is measured in meters (m) or other units of length, and it represents the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave.

3. Can the frequency and wavelength of a wave be changed?

Yes, the frequency and wavelength of a wave can be changed by altering the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. For example, the wavelength of a sound wave can be changed by changing the density of the medium, and the frequency of an electromagnetic wave can be changed by changing the source's energy.

4. What is the difference between frequency and amplitude of a wave?

The frequency of a wave refers to the number of complete cycles or vibrations that occur in one second, while the amplitude of a wave refers to the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium position. In simpler terms, frequency measures how often a wave occurs, while amplitude measures its strength or intensity.

5. How are frequency and wavelength related to the speed of a wave?

The frequency and wavelength of a wave are inversely proportional to the speed of the wave. This means that as the speed of the wave increases, the frequency and wavelength also increase, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: speed of the wave = frequency x wavelength.