Why does Minesweeper always come down to a 50/50 guess at the end?

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary: I was looking at about 2:30 for intermediate, then i died.Hmm, you know that if you mark(flag) a mine, and you have a #1 that is next to it you can push the middle mouse button (on that #1) and it will take care of all the spaces that the #1 touches. The same principle works with #2s, #3s, #4s, etc. You just need to make sure you have all of the mines marked; for example, if you want to middle mouse click a #2, you need to have the right two mines flagged. You do know about the right click to mark a flag right?
mattmns
I just went on a long streak in minesweeper... About 2 hrs of my life spent wisely. Note: I play gnome mines, so I have a 1 second advantage, just add a second to my times to get the windows xp minesweeper time. Got a 27, minesweeper 28 :cool:

minesweeper

Physics news on Phys.org
i love GNOME. SO much better than KDE.

That said, congrats!

Try beating the four in a row game in GNOME. The AI is a little too good, I've beaten once out of about a hundred games. Dang hard.

What size setting was that, i can't quite tell. I just got a 26 on small.

Last edited:
franznietzsche said:
i love GNOME. SO much better than KDE.

That said, congrats!

Try beating the four in a row game in GNOME. The AI is a little too good, I've beaten once out of about a hundred games. Dang hard.

What size setting was that, i can't quite tell. I just got a 26 on small.
OMG I know, I hate that 4 in a row game. On easy it is almost impossible to beat, and I have not even tried any of the other levels. I beat it once after at least one hundred tries, same as you it seems. Even when I hit hint non stop the other person wins, if it is not a tie. That ai is rigged like hell lol.

Ohh and that was intermediate (40 mines).

edit.. yeah I too like gnome over kde. However, as you can tell, my desktop is not custom at all, it is all stock :cry: , I just reinstalled a few days ago.

Last edited:
mattmns said:
OMG I know, I hate that 4 in a row game. On easy it is almost impossible to beat, and I have not even tried any of the other levels. I beat it once after at least one hundred tries, same as you it seems. Even when I hit hint non stop the other person wins, if it is not a tie. That ai is rigged like hell lol.

Ohh and that was intermediate (40 mines).

edit.. yeah I too like gnome over kde. However, as you can tell, my desktop is not custom at all, it is all stock :cry: , I just reinstalled a few days ago.

I didn't do much customization, mainly because i planned on switching to slackware first anyway, only to find that the 2.4 kernel that slack 10.0 uses will never recognize my hard drive no matter what i do (sata). The normal fixes for sata drives don't work with mine. So I'm stuck on fedora for now. Not that that's such a bad thing, but still.

I have no idea how in the hell to play mine sweeper but my roomate is a master at it. he can put it on the highest level, which is i think 99 mines, and can beat it in like 80 seconds i think. on the small one, with 10 mines, he can beat in like 4 seconds.

gravenewworld said:
I have no idea how in the hell to play mine sweeper but my roomate is a master at it. he can put it on the highest level, which is i think 99 mines, and can beat it in like 80 seconds i think. on the small one, with 10 mines, he can beat in like 4 seconds.

Thats crazy. I don't think i can move my mouse around that fast.

gravenewworld said:
Those are some really good times, I am terrible at expert (99) my scores usually are about 120-130

mattmns said:
Those are some really good times, I am terrible at expert (99) my scores usually are about 120-130

st least you beat expert. I was looking at about 2:30 for intermediate, then i died.

Hmm, you know that if you mark(flag) a mine, and you have a #1 that is next to it you can push the middle mouse button (on that #1) and it will take care of all the spaces that the #1 touches. The same principle works with #2s, #3s, #4s, etc. You just need to make sure you have all of the mines marked; for example, if you want to middle mouse click a #2, you need to have the right two mines flagged. You do know about the right click to mark a flag right? Read the little help->contents thing, it has some good beginner tips in it. You should be able to beat intermediate (40 mines) in under 1:30 after a little bit of practice.

mattmns said:
Hmm, you know that if you mark(flag) a mine, and you have a #1 that is next to it you can push the middle mouse button (on that #1) and it will take care of all the spaces that the #1 touches. The same principle works with #2s, #3s, #4s, etc. You just need to make sure you have all of the mines marked; for example, if you want to middle mouse click a #2, you need to have the right two mines flagged. You do know about the right click to mark a flag right? Read the little help->contents thing, it has some good beginner tips in it. You should be able to beat intermediate (40 mines) in under 1:30 after a little bit of practice.

yeah marking is no problem, i just didn't know there was a way to fast click all the squares around a number. that would easily cut my time in half

One way that my roomate is so fast at it is that he presses the right and left mouse buttons at the same time. Doing so causes a mine to be flagged and all the boxes around the mine to be opened. I don't know if anyone knew this already...

Yeah if you press the right click and left click at the same time it does the same action as the middle mouse button would do. However, that is a good tip, because I usually use the middle mouse button, so this could save me some time, brb going to go for a new record.

Thanks, that is a good tip.

Last edited:
The game has a major flaw though... no matter how good you are,, you usually end up in a situation where you have to take a 50/50 guess at it. It's usually the last blocks left where you have a square of four undetermined "blocks" and with two possibilities and no way to determine it by the numbers. I think it sucks that after all that clicking it still comes down to a 1:2 chance of winning.

MathStudent said:
The game has a major flaw though... no matter how good you are,, you usually end up in a situation where you have to take a 50/50 guess at it. It's usually the last blocks left where you have a square of four undetermined "blocks" and with two possibilities and no way to determine it by the numbers. I think it sucks that after all that clicking it still comes down to a 1:2 chance of winning.
lol I hate that too, that is why I usually play intermediate because there are not many guesses. It really sucks when you have not yet beat expert and you keep losing on some 50/50 guess at the end.

What is "Minesweeper rampage"?

"Minesweeper rampage" is a modified version of the classic computer game, Minesweeper. In this version, players are able to control a character who navigates through a minefield, attempting to clear all the mines while avoiding being blown up.

How is "Minesweeper rampage" different from the original game?

In the original Minesweeper game, players are not able to control a character and must instead click on squares to reveal whether there is a mine or not. In "Minesweeper rampage," players are able to move a character and use different weapons to clear the mines.

What is the purpose of "Minesweeper rampage"?

The purpose of "Minesweeper rampage" is to clear all the mines in the minefield without getting blown up. Players must use strategy and skill to navigate through the minefield and clear all the mines before time runs out.

Is there a multiplayer option for "Minesweeper rampage"?

Yes, "Minesweeper rampage" does have a multiplayer option where players can compete against each other to see who can clear the minefield the fastest.

Are there any tips for playing "Minesweeper rampage"?

Some tips for playing "Minesweeper rampage" include using your character's abilities wisely, using weapons strategically, and keeping track of your time and remaining mines. It is also important to plan your route carefully to avoid getting blown up by hidden mines.