LaTeX Equations Disappearing When Printable Version Selected

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter geoduck
  • Start date
In summary, the issue of disappearing LaTeX equations in the printable version of a document occurs because all formatting and special characters are removed to make it more printer-friendly. However, there are ways to prevent this issue, such as converting equations into images or using a PDF version. It is also possible to have both a printable version and a version with LaTeX equations intact by creating separate versions of the document. However, if the images of the equations are not properly embedded, they may still be removed in the printable version.
geoduck
Is it just me, or when you open a thread and click on on thread tools and select "show printable version", all the LaTeX equations disappear? When I print it out, the LaTeX equations don't show up either.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. Why are my LaTeX equations disappearing when I select the printable version?

This is a common issue that occurs when the printable version of a document is generated. This is because the printable version removes all formatting and special characters, including LaTeX equations, to make the document more printer-friendly.

2. Can I prevent my LaTeX equations from disappearing in the printable version?

Yes, there are a few ways to prevent this issue. One option is to use a LaTeX-to-HTML converter to convert your equations into images, which will not be affected by the printable version. Another option is to use a PDF version of your document, which will preserve all formatting, including LaTeX equations.

3. Can I still have a printable version of my document with my LaTeX equations intact?

Yes, you can include a separate LaTeX-only version of your document specifically for printing. This way, you can have a printable version without sacrificing the formatting of your equations.

4. Is there a way to have both a printable version and a version with LaTeX equations in the same document?

Yes, you can use the \ifprint command to create two versions of your document – one for printing and one for online viewing. This way, you can include LaTeX equations in the online version and have a printable version without them.

5. Why does the printable version remove LaTeX equations even when I have converted them to images?

The printable version may still remove the images of your LaTeX equations if they are not properly embedded in the document. Make sure to use the \includegraphics command to insert the images and specify the correct file path.