How to begin path towards physics career

In summary: The advantage of taking honors courses is that the level of class discussions is generally higher, the caliber of students is higher, and the expectations on quality of work higher. However, the level of class discussions is not the only thing that makes a honors course valuable. The caliber of students is also very important. Usually, students in honors courses are very bright and are interested in academics. They also tend to be better at critical thinking, problem-solving, and organization skills.
ColdRainMaker
Hello, I am a 14 year old about to become a freshmen and I already feel convinced I will become a physicist since I seem to have an good ability in the subject and I absolutely love science.

I need some advice on how to start of high school on the right foot. I want to start getting a job and would really want it to be in a lab since I would become familiar with the field and will look impressive in my collage application. I am looking to join clubs as well. I am enrolled in Honors Geometry and Honors Chemistry in my HS which is one of the best schools in the US. I looked for science labs near where i live but couldn't find any, my dad says that near where we live there is the NOAA Satellite Operations Center, but that might be too advanced for me, i might just end up as assisting in minor stuff. Do you guys have advice on what jobs, clubs, extra curricular activities and classes to join. Also some physics books I could read because I need to read more for collage. Thanks everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
For now you should concentrate on doing well in your science classes.

It's very unlikely you'd be hired for a job at any sort of lab that included any science whatsoever (especially since you're not even old enough to hold a job). You simply don't have any relevant experience. But you could try to look into getting an internship at one next summer. Often that won't include more than just menial work, but it would give you an introduction to what scientists do if you're lucky.

Do well in your classes. Take honors, AP, IB or whatever physics and math classes (especially calculus). Beyond that, get a rounded education, learn to write well (this is a tremendously important skill), and follow your passion about something--chess, glee club, journalism, volunteering, rowing, etc.--throughout high school. These things will get you into a good college, which will do more for your future physics career than any amount of concentration on just physics.

marcusl said:
. Beyond that, get a rounded education, learn to write well (this is a tremendously important skill).

Do you recommend any books I could read to help with that?

I'll echo the sentiments of everyone else, just focus on doing the best you can in all your courses. Take the most difficult courses available to you and take lots of science and math classes.

Don't put too much stake in what you think you'll want to be doing for the rest of your life at 14. Things change, interest change, priorities change.

Be the best, if your not the best then become it.

this is totally unrelated but can someone please tell me how 2 tart a thread on this forum

ColdRainMaker said:
Do you recommend any books I could read to help with that?
To get a rounded education? The best way is to sign up for courses in a variety of topics--history, languages, art, music, whatever! Your interests will also guide you in extracurriculars (playing an instrument or singing or painting). To develop writing skills in particular, take extra English and writing classes. Good writers also read a lot. Read a lot of novels (since science/math types tend to naturally read a lot of non-fiction), especially "classics" (Dante, Dickens, Hardy, Hemingway, Faulkner, Fitzgerald, Twain, Nabokov, Dostoyevsky, Toni Morrison... you get the idea) to understand and appreciate how good writing is constructed; then practice writing essays in all of your classes. If you integrate these things into your school life, then instead of being a specific task it just happens all along.

Since I'm in a similar situation, I thought it would be appropriate to ask if taking AP or IB levelled courses are truly beneficial? The school I attend doesn't offer any "advanced" courses other than English, however, other school's in my area provide IB and AP courses; so transferring is an option. Also, I'm not sure what extracurriculars I should participate in?

Honors courses are few and far between because they aren't for every, or even for most, students. The level of class discussions is generally higher, the caliber of students is higher, and the expectations on quality of work higher. Together with that, students are expected to learn more material at a faster pace, so the work load is greater. Is that for you? Do you like to interact with the "smartest" kids, do extra, like to be challenged? Only you can decide.

As for extracurriculars, do what interests you and what you are passionate about. Sometimes students think that the number of activities they can list on their college application is what's impressive, so they'll do 4 sports, chess club, glee club, yearbook, drama, science fair, and 10 other activities during high school that they couldn't have spent much time on. Compare to a hypothetical student who loves languages and over the course of three or four years studied Spanish, traveled to Latin America as an exchange student or hosted an exchange student, tutored low-income students in math and other topics at the school learning center, and maybe wrote a play in Spanish for an amateur student theatre group. As an Admissions Officer, who is more impressive? In short, follow your passions and see where they lead.

1. What kind of education do I need to pursue a career in physics?

The first step towards a career in physics is to obtain a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field such as engineering, mathematics, or astronomy. This will provide you with a strong foundation in the fundamental concepts and theories of physics. From there, you can pursue a graduate degree, such as a master's or PhD, to specialize in a specific area of physics.

2. What skills are necessary for a successful career in physics?

A strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are essential for a career in physics. Attention to detail, curiosity, and creativity are also important traits for a physicist. Good communication skills are also necessary for presenting research findings and collaborating with other scientists.

3. What kind of jobs can I get with a physics degree?

A degree in physics can open up a variety of career opportunities in both the private and public sectors. Some common job titles include research scientist, data analyst, engineer, science teacher, and patent attorney. Many physics graduates also go on to pursue careers in fields such as finance, technology, and healthcare.

4. How do I gain research experience in physics?

There are various ways to gain research experience in physics. You can participate in undergraduate research programs at your university, work as a research assistant for a professor, or apply for internships at research institutions or national laboratories. It is also helpful to join a physics club or organization and attend conferences and workshops to network with other scientists and learn about current research opportunities.

5. What is the job outlook for physicists?

The job outlook for physicists is expected to grow at a steady rate in the coming years. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of physicists is projected to grow 7% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is driven by advancements in technology and the increasing demand for experts in fields such as renewable energy, medical technology, and data science.