Tex Problem? Troubleshooting Preview Issues

• Thread starter gnome
  • Start date
In summary, I'm experiencing problems with my tex formatting when I try to preview it. The preview shows me stuff I wrote in previous posts, in different threads, completely unrelated to the tex material I just wrote.
gnome
I'm working on a post involving a lot of tex-formatted material, but each time I try to preview what I've written, the preview shows me stuff I wrote in previous posts, in different threads, completely unrelated to the tex material I just wrote (but mixed in with the ordinary text of the new post). What's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I'll just wait until this clears up. Otherwise the post will just be jibberish. (Of course, it may be that anyway). :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gnome said:
I'm working on a post involving a lot of tex-formatted material, but each time I try to preview what I've written, the preview shows me stuff I wrote in previous posts, in different threads, completely unrelated to the tex material I just wrote (but mixed in with the ordinary text of the new post). What's going on?

I have encountered the same problem many times.
Advice:
Don't write too many code lines one after another.With so many consecutive symbols ("}" i mean),it will be very hard to spot errors.

Daniel.

P.S.By that behavior,the compiler shows you you've give him a wrong code.It's not its fault by any chance.

Is there something wrong with this (other than that the tex tags are replaced by quote tags):
\begin{array}{cc}\text{Variable} & \text{Meaning}\\
Q[i,k] &\text{At time i, M is in state q_k}\\
H[i,j] &\text{At time i, the read-write head}\\
&\text{ is scanning tape square j}\\
S[i,j,k] &\text{At time i, the contents of}\\
&\text{tape square j is symbol s_k}\end{array}

because when I preview ONLY that, it shows me the graphic for this INSTEAD:
\Gamma, \Sigma, b, Q , q_0, q_Y, q_N, \text{and}\; \delta
which is a piece of inline tex code that I was previewing in the post I'm trying to format.

When you edit a correct tex code and introduce an error, an old formula is displayed. I also had this problem already.

I previewed both codes you have posted: the second one is correct, but for the first one I see the last latex formula I have posted in the homework forum... Thus I assume there is something wrong, but I cannot tell you where the error is.

gnome said:
Is there something wrong with this (other than that the tex tags are replaced by quote tags):

because when I preview ONLY that, it shows me the graphic for this INSTEAD:

which is a piece of inline tex code that I was previewing in the post I'm trying to format.

[tex] \begin{array}{cc} \text{Variable} & \text{Meaning}\\

Q[i,k] & \text{At time "i"} \ \text{M is in state} \ q_{k} \\

H[i,j] & \text{At time "i"} & \text{the read-write head} \ \text{is scanning tape square "j"}\\

S[i,j,k] & \text{At time "i", the contents of} \ \text{tape square "j" is symbol} \ s_{k} \end{array} [/tex]

Is that better...?

Daniel.

Last edited:
Not really. I'm trying to get the entries in each column to be left-aligned, and to be able to have some entries in the second column extend to several lines leaving the first column blank on those "continuation" lines.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this thread to become a new competing tex-formatting discusssion. I just wanted to alert the Admins to what I think is a board problem. Let's restrict the discussion here to whether this is a board issue or a code issue.

If anyone has suggestions on how to fix my code, let's continue that discussion in the "sticky" Latex typesetting thread in General Physics. Thanks all.

It was a code problem. Solved.

It's always the human's fault,well,for intelligent software,for Windows... :yuck:

Daniel.

Into which category would you put the fact that subscripts can be used in \mbox, and they can be used in {array}, but not in \mbox in an {array}? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:rofl: Human error of course:It's not the compiler's fault,but this time,the programmer's...

ALWAYS HUMAN ERRORS.NOT NECESSARILY USER'S... :tongue2:

Daniel.

1. What is Tex Problem?

Tex Problem is a type of troubleshooting issue that occurs when there is a problem with the preview function in a Tex document. It can refer to issues with formatting, rendering, or other errors that prevent the document from being properly previewed.

2. What are some common Tex Problem troubleshooting steps?

Some common troubleshooting steps for Tex Problem include checking for any errors in the code, making sure all necessary packages are installed, and clearing the cache of the Tex editor. It may also help to try previewing the document in a different editor or with a different compiler.

3. How can I prevent Tex Problem?

To prevent Tex Problem, it is important to regularly check for updates and install them as needed. It is also helpful to carefully review the code and make sure it is properly formatted and follows all necessary syntax rules. Additionally, minimizing the use of complicated or unsupported packages can also help prevent Tex Problem.

4. Can Tex Problem be caused by hardware or software issues?

Yes, Tex Problem can be caused by both hardware and software issues. Hardware issues can include insufficient memory or processing power, while software issues can include outdated or incompatible versions of Tex editors or compilers.

5. How can I troubleshoot Tex Problem if I am not familiar with Tex?

If you are not familiar with Tex, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a more experienced user or consult online forums and resources. You can also try using a Tex-specific troubleshooting tool or contacting the Tex support team for assistance.