What is the easiest way to start college in Physics, Astrophysics, or Astronomy?

In summary, the individual is looking for ways to fund their education in astrophysics, as they do not come from a wealthy background and are not well-versed in mathematics yet. They are aware of FASFA and plan to apply, but are also seeking other options for financial aid. They also inquire about resources for learning calculus and other necessary mathematical skills. Suggestions include researching and applying for scholarships specifically for astrophysics, as well as utilizing community colleges and online resources for learning math. They are also encouraged to seek help and support from the Physics Forums community.
djc17231
I live in a home where we don't make very much money, but I would really like to go to school for Astrophysics. As of right now I do not know a lot as far as the mathematical processes go, so depending on where I were to get a scholarship or grant it might be rather difficult. What other ways are there of going about getting money for school, I already know about FASFA and plan to submit an application soon. And are there places I can start learning calculus and other mathematical skills that I would need, freely? Just to help me along?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Community colleges are cheaper than four year public colleges, which are cheaper than private.

djc17231, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Google is your friend. I used the search terms “scholarships astrophysics” and in a short time found these:

http://collegeprowler.com/scholarships/major/astronomy-and-astrophysics/
http://www.stateuniversity.com/financial-aid-articles/pages/7909/Scholarships-in-Astrophysics.html
http://www.cappex.com/scholarships/ByMajor/astrophysics/-s-m-337/

By the way, I also searched "FASFA" and discovered lots of help in applying...tips, deadlines, suggestions, ect. Some want a small fee, some are free.

Do not feel shy about posting your questions or doubts here on Physics Forums as you continue on your path towards becoming an astrophysicist. Members here are always ready and willing to assist interested and curious searchers.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Edit: Visit the "Mathematics" forum here. Submit your math questions there.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the basic requirements to start a college program in Physics, Astrophysics, or Astronomy?

The basic requirements to start a college program in Physics, Astrophysics, or Astronomy typically include a high school diploma or equivalent, strong grades in math and science courses, and a passion for exploring the natural world through scientific inquiry.

2. Is it necessary to have prior experience in Physics, Astrophysics, or Astronomy before starting college?

No, it is not necessary to have prior experience in these fields before starting college. However, having a strong foundation in math and science courses can be beneficial for success in these programs.

3. Are there any specific courses or electives that can help prepare for a college program in Physics, Astrophysics, or Astronomy?

While not required, taking courses in physics, calculus, and astronomy in high school can provide a good foundation for these college programs. Additionally, participating in science clubs or extracurricular activities related to these fields can also be helpful.

4. What are the best colleges for studying Physics, Astrophysics, or Astronomy?

The best colleges for studying these fields will vary depending on individual preferences and goals. It is important to research and compare different programs to find the one that best fits your needs and interests.

5. Are there any resources or programs available to help students with the cost of college in Physics, Astrophysics, or Astronomy?

Yes, there are many scholarships, grants, and financial aid options available for students pursuing these fields. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities to help with the cost of college.