Naoh in sodium acetate, raise pH

• Thread starter Puchinita5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph Sodium
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the amount of 10N NaOH needed to change the pH of a solution containing 0.1L of 1 M sodium acetate from 5.5 to 6. The individual calculates that 0.01177 moles of NaOH, which is equal to 0.0012 L, is needed based on the concentration and pH of the solution. However, there is some uncertainty about the accuracy of the calculation and it is suggested to try it out to confirm the results.
Puchinita5
I need someone to tell me if I did this right...

What volume of 10N NaOH should be added to 0.1L of 1 M sodium acetate pH 5.5 to change the pH to 6.0.

so I'm assuming that there is also an amount of acetic acid in this solution for it to have an acidic pH right? So is it a buffer?

In which case,

5.5 = 4.76 + log (1M NaOac / x M Oac)

and so x is 0.182 M acetic acid. or .0182 moles

to raise the ph to 6

i'm assuming it will take away a certain amount from acetic acid and add a certain amount to sodium acetate...so...

6 = 4.76 + log( 0.1 + x / 0.0182 - x)

and solving for x gives me 0.01177 moles of NaOH which is 0.001 Liters of 10 M NaOH.These numbers look awful to me so I feel like I did this wrong. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
NaOH is very strong base and only few drops can make the solution basic, so I don't think the answer might be wrong. Better if I try it myself.

Logic is correct. I have not checked the numbers, but they don't look absurd to me. Just note you have to give higher accuracy - 0.01177 moles is not 0.001 L. More like 1.177 mL or rather 1.2 mL (0.0012 L) to keep the reasonable number of significant digits.

1. What is the purpose of adding NaOH to sodium acetate?

The purpose of adding NaOH to sodium acetate is to raise the pH of the solution. This is because NaOH is a strong base and will neutralize the acidic properties of sodium acetate, increasing the pH of the solution.

2. How does NaOH raise the pH of sodium acetate?

NaOH dissociates in water to form Na+ and OH- ions. The OH- ions react with the acidic properties of sodium acetate, neutralizing them and increasing the overall pH of the solution.

3. What is the ideal pH range for sodium acetate?

The ideal pH range for sodium acetate is between 7 and 9. At these pH levels, sodium acetate is able to effectively buffer the solution and maintain a relatively constant pH.

4. How much NaOH should be added to raise the pH of sodium acetate?

The amount of NaOH needed to raise the pH of sodium acetate will depend on the initial pH of the solution and the desired final pH. It is important to carefully measure and add small amounts of NaOH at a time, while continuously monitoring the pH, to avoid overshooting the desired pH.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using NaOH to raise the pH of sodium acetate?

Yes, NaOH is a strong base and can be corrosive if not handled properly. It is important to wear protective gloves and eyewear when handling NaOH. It should also be added slowly to the solution to avoid splashing and potential burns. In case of skin contact, immediately rinse with plenty of water and seek medical attention if necessary.