The work done in accelerating a ball to a certain speed

In summary, the question is asking for the work done by a famous pitcher in the National League to accelerate a baseball to a speed of 95 mph. The known variables are the mass of the baseball (0.145 kg) and the final velocity (42.4688 m/s). The attempt at a solution involved trying to use the equation F = ma but was unsuccessful. It was then realized that work is related to energy, specifically the change in kinetic energy. The work done would be equal to the kinetic energy of the ball at the given velocity. However, it should be noted that there may be other work done by the pitcher, but the question specifically asks for the work spent on accelerating the ball.
Kwcty6888

Homework Statement

The fastball of a famous pitcher in the National League has
been clocked in excess of 95 mph. Calculate the work done
by the pitcher in accelerating the ball to that speed. The
mass of a baseball is 0.145 kg.

mass = 0.145 kg
final velocity (in m/s) = 42.4688 m/s
initial velocity = 0 m/s

Homework Equations

F = ma
w = F*distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting up F = ma to find something, but the only known variable is mass. I also tried kinematics, but there are only two known variables that go into the equations and I can't isolate any variables. Is there an equation I'm forgetting, or am I just looking at this problem the wrong way? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is work related to energy?

Ohhh, work is the change in energy. So the work done would just be the kinetic energy of the ball at the velocity?

He might very well have done some other work, but the question is specifically about work spent on accelerating the ball.

Okay got it, thanks!

What is the formula for calculating the work done in accelerating a ball to a certain speed?

The formula for calculating the work done in accelerating a ball to a certain speed is W = 0.5 * m * v^2, where W is the work done, m is the mass of the ball, and v is the final velocity.

How does the mass of the ball affect the work done in accelerating it to a certain speed?

The mass of the ball directly affects the work done in accelerating it to a certain speed. The greater the mass of the ball, the more work is required to accelerate it to the same speed.

What is the unit of measurement for work done?

The unit of measurement for work done is joules (J). This is equivalent to 1 newton-meter (N*m).

How does the initial velocity of the ball affect the work done in accelerating it to a certain speed?

The initial velocity of the ball has no effect on the work done in accelerating it to a certain speed. The work done is only dependent on the final velocity.

Can the work done in accelerating a ball to a certain speed be negative?

No, the work done in accelerating a ball to a certain speed cannot be negative. Work is defined as the transfer of energy, and it cannot be negative. If the ball is decelerating, the work done will be positive, but the direction of the work will be opposite to the direction of motion.