Question Regarding Coefficient of Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of reducing the angle of a sliding part by rotating the shafts to decrease the coefficient of friction. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than that of kinetic friction, and rotating the shafts may eliminate static friction, allowing for a reduced angle. The question remains on how to find the new value of friction due to the rotating shafts.
klsizemore
I have a part that will slide by it's own weight (50lbs.) at 12 degrees on two parallel shafts. I need to reduce the angle as much as possible. By rotating the shafts, I would reduce the coefficient of friction between the part and the shaft. How would I find the new value of friction due to the shaft rotating?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not convinced it would reduce the coefficient of kinetic friction but I could be wrong.

The coefficient of static friction is usually higher than that of dynanic friction. (eg it takes more force to get something moving then to keep it moving). So spinning the shafts may allow the angle to be reduced by eliminating static friction.

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless value and is denoted by the symbol μ.

2. How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by conducting experiments where two surfaces are in contact with each other and a force is applied to one surface to cause it to slide over the other. The ratio of the applied force to the resulting frictional force is the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by various factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

4. What are the different types of coefficients of friction?

There are two types of coefficients of friction - static and kinetic. Static friction occurs when two surfaces are at rest and are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction occurs when there is relative motion between the surfaces.

5. Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in contact with each other. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and materials science to design and optimize systems, reduce wear and tear, and improve safety.