Semiconductor Technician's Bad Night - Mistakes Happen

In summary, a technician neglected to remove a rubber/plastic cover from a power meter, which resulted in the meter being placed in the beam path of a 7W UV laser, melting the plastic and depositing it on the nearby lens, which then toasted the coating. This led to the destruction of the ~12K$ lens.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ARGH! Bad night!

Just a few minutes of inattention. I neglected to remove a rubber/plastic cover from a power meter, the meter was then placed in the beam path of a 7W UV laser, the melting plastic deposited on the nearby lens, toasting the coating, trashing the ~12K$ lens! I don't like making little mistakes, big ones haunt me for weeks.

Such is the life of a technician in the semiconductor industry. If are working you WILL f*ck up sometimes. I hate it when it happens.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to hear about that, Integral.
Speaking of inattention, a problem I've long had is being focused too much on only one thing and not noticing the house is falling down (or that I’m about to walk into a sharp object). I've never been a good 'multitasker' on account of that. My attempts to run several operations simultaneously usually results in disaster…

Well, I hope you didn’t catch too much hell for that mistake.
Were you addressing your duties as mentor at PF at the time it happened? (ouch)

Once, in a machine shop, I was doing the last operation on some very intricate parts that had been milled on the CNC. All I had to do was ream a hole to size on the drill press. I got the correct reamer and whipped through the task. Turns out there was a specific depth they were supposed to be reamed to. I had overshot it on every one and ruined the whole run of fifty odd parts. I wasn't in the mood to ask what this cost.

Actually I was off on the cost of the lens, it was "only" $7500, gee I feel a lot better now!

That was not the only disaster for the night, I was helping an engineer do an experiment on a wet bench, I was supposed to let 50 wafers set in a bath for 2 hrs. I missed that email, I knew he wanted them in the bath, but I thought he wanted them left till they disolved, fortunately he never found out about my error, Unfortuanely the acid tank errored out and dumped his experiment down the drain. Not caused by anything I did but I am still eating at myself for screwing up the times, that would have trashed the experiment. I do not find any pleasure in mistakes what go unnoticed.

Sorry to hear that integral, times like these are messed up...But we all make mistakes so we can learn not to make them again. But then again, if I screwed up and I remind myself that mistakes are made to be learned from, it doesn't make any sense...Sorry about the sh*t man

Originally posted by Integral
Actually I was off on the cost of the lens, it was "only" $7500, gee I feel a lot better now!

That was not the only disaster for the night, I was helping an engineer do an experiment on a wet bench, I was supposed to let 50 wafers set in a bath for 2 hrs. I missed that email, I knew he wanted them in the bath, but I thought he wanted them left till they disolved, fortunately he never found out about my error, Unfortuanely the acid tank errored out and dumped his experiment down the drain. Not caused by anything I did but I am still eating at myself for screwing up the times, that would have trashed the experiment. I do not find any pleasure in mistakes what go unnoticed.

LOL! I hate days like that.
Many years ago I shorted out an entire hospital.
Boy was I popular...esp with the doctors!

What is a semiconductor technician?

A semiconductor technician is a professional who is responsible for maintaining and repairing electronic devices that use semiconductors, such as computer chips, microprocessors, and transistors. They are also involved in the manufacturing process of these devices, ensuring their quality and functionality.

What is "Semiconductor Technician's Bad Night - Mistakes Happen" about?

"Semiconductor Technician's Bad Night - Mistakes Happen" is a hypothetical scenario that describes a situation where a semiconductor technician makes mistakes while working on electronic devices. The story highlights the importance of attention to detail and proper training in this field.

What are some common mistakes made by semiconductor technicians?

Some common mistakes made by semiconductor technicians include mishandling delicate electronic components, improper installation or soldering, incorrect testing procedures, and failure to follow safety protocols. These mistakes can lead to defective products and potential hazards for the technician and others.

What are the consequences of mistakes made by semiconductor technicians?

The consequences of mistakes made by semiconductor technicians can range from minor issues, such as a device not functioning properly, to more serious consequences, such as damage to the device or injury to the technician. These mistakes can also result in financial losses for the company and damage to their reputation.

How can semiconductor technicians prevent mistakes from happening?

To prevent mistakes from happening, semiconductor technicians should undergo thorough training and adhere to standard operating procedures. They should also pay close attention to detail, double-check their work, and follow safety protocols. Regular quality control checks and continuous learning can also help prevent mistakes in this field.

Back