What is a CDD Camera? - FreLon vs Pilatus Detectors

• Thread starter poul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a CDD camera and an ordinary semiconductor detector, specifically a Pilatus detector. The main difference is that a CDD camera uses a CCD type of sensor while a CMOS sensor is used in a Pilatus detector. The main distinction lies in the way the signal is measured, with a CMOS sensor converting the charge-to-voltage in each pixel while a CCD sends the charge to a common output structure for conversion.
poul
Hey

I was wondering, is a CDD camera(e.g. FreLon detector) the same as an ordinary semiconductor detector (e.g. Pilatus detector). I have searched a little on the CDD camera, and for me it seems like the same thing. Wave Energy -> electron hole pairs -> signal.

Or have it something to do, with the way the signal is measured?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You probably mean a CCD camera with a CCD type of sensor in contrast with CMOS censors?

There is quite a bit of difference

Okay. As i understand it they are both semiconductor detectors, where the number of generated electron hole pairs says something about the signal.

I think i got some of it. In a CMOS the charge-to-voltage conversion takes place in each pixel. In a CCD each pixel’s charge packet is send to a common output structure, which converts the charge to a voltage.

Is this right?

Last edited:

What is a CDD Camera?

A CDD camera, or charge-coupled device camera, is a type of digital camera that uses a special sensor called a charge-coupled device to capture images. This sensor is made up of an array of light-sensitive pixels that collect and convert light into electrical signals, which are then processed and stored as digital images.

What is the difference between FreLon and Pilatus detectors?

FreLon and Pilatus are both types of CDD detectors that are commonly used in scientific research. The main difference between them is that FreLon detectors have a higher resolution and can capture more detailed images, while Pilatus detectors have a higher frame rate and can capture images at a faster speed.

How does a CDD camera work?

A CDD camera works by first converting light into electrical signals using its array of pixels, and then processing and storing these signals as digital images. When light enters the camera, it hits the pixels on the sensor, which release electrons based on the intensity of the light. These electrons are then collected and converted into a digital signal, which is then stored as an image.

What are some common applications of CDD cameras?

CDD cameras have a wide range of applications in scientific research, including in fields such as astronomy, biology, medicine, and physics. They are commonly used to capture high-quality images of objects that are too small, too distant, or too faint to be seen with the naked eye, and are also used in various imaging techniques such as fluorescence microscopy and X-ray imaging.

What are the advantages of using a CDD camera?

One of the main advantages of using a CDD camera is its high sensitivity, which allows it to capture images with very low levels of light. They also have a high dynamic range, meaning they can capture both bright and dark areas in an image without losing detail. Additionally, CDD cameras are highly versatile and can be used in a wide range of scientific applications, making them a valuable tool for researchers.