Considering the hypothetical distance between consecutive reals.

• Thread starter hddd123456789
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hypothetical
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "consecutive real numbers" and a "successor function for real numbers", which do not make sense as there is always another real number in between any two given real numbers. The conversation also touches on the idea of a hypothetical distance between consecutive reals and the significance of zero. However, it is concluded that this forum is not the appropriate place for discussing purely hypothetical ideas.
hddd123456789
Hi,

I have been pondering about a hypothetical distance between consecutive real numbers. It seems a bit of a paradox, though I expect it will be shown to be a consistent picture. I'll be using recently-learned terminology which hasn't completely set in mind yet, so please have patience with me :)

Firstly, let's define a hypothetical function S_r from R->R which in essence is the real analog of the successor function from N->N . I realize that such a function is inherently poorly defined since "succeeding" a real number x by some finite, non-zero number y will give z. But of course, between x and z will be an infinite number of real numbers to fill the interval of y-length. Never-the-less, being a hypothetical question, the terminology should serve for purposes of discussion.

Now, let's say we have an x and y in the set of reals satisfying |x-y|=0. From this, it is apparent to me that we can deduce that x=y. However, what I don't understand is why we can't also deduce that x=S_r(y), or that y=S_r(x). What I mean is that if we define y to be the real successor to x, and if the distance between x and y, |x-y|, were some non-zero quantity, then y couldn't be the real successor to x since the interval [x,y] would contain an infinite number of reals n that satisfy x<n<y. So the distance between x and its successor y cannot be greater than 0. In other words, it must equal zero, or |x-y|=0. But from this equation, we were also able to deduce that x=y.

Suppose there were a way to rigorously define the distance between consecutive reals. This distance could not be non-zero, so it would have to be based on some definition of zero itself, let's call it null for reference. Now, given a rigorously defined S_r, if x=S_r(y), then |x-y|=null=0. And if |x-y|=0, then x=y. But since x is also equal to S_r(y), then x=y=S_r(y), or in other words, y=S_r(y)?

I feel like I'm dressing up something more simple in unnecessary amounts of symbolism. I guess what I'm trying to say is if the distance two consecutive reals can't be non-zero, then it must be zero? And if so, then a real and its real successor must have the same quantity?

Thanks for reading!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The ideas of "consecutive real numbers" and a "successor function for real numbers" don't make sense. For any two real numbers a and b, there is another real number in between them, for eaxmple (a+b)/2.

AlephZero said:
The ideas of "consecutive real numbers" and a "successor function for real numbers" don't make sense. For any two real numbers a and b, there is another real number in between them, for eaxmple (a+b)/2.

I mentioned this as well, the fact that such a distance between consecutive reals would have to be based on some definition of zero itself, provided a rigorous definition. Is there no basis to think of it hypothetically?

hddd123456789 said:
I mentioned this as well, the fact that such a distance between consecutive reals would have to be based on some definition of zero itself, provided a rigorous definition. Is there no basis to think of it hypothetically?

There is no such function, so asking about the properties is pointless (and certainly won't reveal anything about the actual real numbers). Given a real number, there is no other real that could reasonably be identified as its "successor".

hddd123456789 said:

No, there is no basis to think of hypothetically. A notion of "consecutive real numbers" is something that does not exists. So we can't talk about it
Furthermore, this forum is not the place to talk about hypothetical, non-existent notions.

Is there something you would like to ask or discuss that is not just merely hypothetical?

micromass said:
Is there something you would like to ask or discuss that is not just merely hypothetical?

Touché :P But joking aside, I'll respect that this forum probably isn't the best place for this discussion.

What "joking" are you referring to? Do you understand what "consecutive real numbers" would have to mean and why there are no "consecutive real numbers"?

It's not just a matter of this forum not being the ""best place for this discussion". There is NO discussion. What would you think about a discussion of "blue real numbers"?

HallsofIvy said:
What "joking" are you referring to?

This is just a misunderstanding. When micromass said "Is there something you would like to ask or discuss that is not just merely hypothetical?" I took it as a joke thinking he was highlighting the fact that my posts have a tendency of going "off the rails" to the hypothetical. So I said Touché. And when he said "Furthermore, this forum is not the place to talk about hypothetical, non-existent notions", I agreed, and that's all, there's no subtext here.

And I do understand why there cannot be consecutive real numbers, assuming they exist produces an inconsistent result after all (that the a real and its consecutive real are the same value) as I questioned about in my OP. I was asking this because I'm trying to explore multiple trains of thought related to zero and its arithmetic properties, and this idea seemed relevant.

1. What is the hypothetical distance between consecutive real numbers?

The hypothetical distance between consecutive real numbers is infinitesimal, meaning it is infinitely small. It is a theoretical concept used in mathematics to explain the continuity of real numbers.

2. How is the hypothetical distance between consecutive reals calculated?

The hypothetical distance between consecutive real numbers is not calculated, as it is a theoretical concept. It is simply assumed to exist in order to maintain the continuity of real numbers.

3. Why is the hypothetical distance between consecutive reals important?

The hypothetical distance between consecutive reals is important in understanding the concept of infinity and the continuity of real numbers. It also helps in solving mathematical problems involving limits and derivatives.

4. Is the hypothetical distance between consecutive reals the same as zero?

No, the hypothetical distance between consecutive reals is not the same as zero. It is a theoretical concept that represents a value smaller than any positive real number, but it is not equal to zero.

5. Can the hypothetical distance between consecutive reals be measured or observed?

No, the hypothetical distance between consecutive reals cannot be measured or observed. It is a theoretical concept used in mathematics to explain the continuity of real numbers and cannot be physically quantified.