Splitting light into colors, mathematical expression (fourier transforms)

In summary: Ok, then how would this look specifically for a Gaussian slit experiment? Does that give the frequency distribution you were looking for?
FordDJ22
I am trying to solve a problem that includes a function of the light hitting a certain area. My question is, how would I change a function G(x) of photons hitting a certain area to include just photons of a certain wavelength, say red light. I feel like this could be accomplished using a Fourier transform and de broglie's law, but I'm not sure. Can someone please help, just for a general gaussian function G(x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does this function represent? It may help if you post more detailed specification of your problem.

Basically, given a function that gives the number of photons hitting a certain area, I want a mathematical way to determine how many of those photons are of a specific frequency (such as red light).

FordDJ22 said:
Basically, given a function that gives the number of photons hitting a certain area, I want a mathematical way to determine how many of those photons are of a specific frequency (such as red light).

I don't think you can get that distribution simply from the number of photons hitting the area. One thing does not lead to another. You can perfectly have N photons with all kinds of different frequency distribution.
You mentioned Fourier Transform, yes, it does transform between time domain to frequency domain, but here the "frequency" has a different meaning than what you might have in mind (it means the spatial periodicity of the underlying time-domain function, not the frequency of the EM wave)

cattlecattle said:
I don't think you can get that distribution simply from the number of photons hitting the area. One thing does not lead to another. You can perfectly have N photons with all kinds of different frequency distribution.
You mentioned Fourier Transform, yes, it does transform between time domain to frequency domain, but here the "frequency" has a different meaning than what you might have in mind (it means the spatial periodicity of the underlying time-domain function, not the frequency of the EM wave)

Ok, then how would this look specifically for a Gaussian slit experiment? Does that give the frequency distribution you were looking for?

What is splitting light into colors?

Splitting light into colors, also known as dispersion, is the process of separating white light into its component colors, also known as the visible spectrum. This can be achieved through various methods such as using a prism or diffraction grating.

How is light split into colors?

In order to split light into colors, the light must pass through a medium that causes the different wavelengths of light to bend at different angles. This can be achieved through refraction, where the medium causes the light to bend, or through diffraction, where the medium causes the light to spread out into its component colors.

What is a mathematical expression?

A mathematical expression is a combination of numbers, variables, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is used to represent a mathematical relationship or equation.

What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function or signal into its component frequencies. It is commonly used in signal processing and image analysis to analyze and manipulate data in the frequency domain.

How is a Fourier transform used in splitting light into colors?

A Fourier transform can be used to analyze the spectrum of light and determine the different frequencies, or colors, present in the light. This can help in understanding the properties of the light source and how it can be split into its component colors using techniques such as diffraction or refraction.