Circuit Diagrams in Component Data Sheets

In summary, some software is available to produce professional looking diagrams similar to those found in circuit schematics.
Greg-ulate
What software is used by manufacturers to produce the thousands of data sheets for all of the products that they make? Specifically, the circuit diagrams which look very crisp, like they were made in a vector format. I assume that each manufacturer has some proprietary software that they use to produce these documents. Does anyone know what software can be used to produce professional looking diagrams with aesthetic and precise symbols?

I've used plenty of CAD software such as Eagle and Orcad. These require you to choose a real world part before you can include it in your schematic. I'm looking for something more conceptual and quick, which I could use to quickly sketch out a diagram simply for visualization.

For example, check out
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD8231.pdf

The figures are pleasing to my eye. Some parts and pins are labeled when necessary, but not when its unimportant, some optional components are shown with dotted lines, there are arrows indicating direction from output to input. I'm just wondering if there is software available to make diagrams that look very clean and clear and follow the conventions of circuit schematics.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I use paintbrush and have done so for some 15 years

here's an example...

attachment.php?attachmentid=53662&stc=1&d=1354758028.gif

one of 100's of circuits I have done

is that crisp enough for you ? ;)

Dave

Attachments

• 10GHz Data Xceiver.gif
    10GHz Data Xceiver.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 616
Diagram from OrCad schematic capture can be copied and paste into Word! You can even have color. I did this in the past.

Greg,

I've used MS Visio in the past with some success. It has countless pre-made symbols for everything you need and don't need. I've attached a small sample which I made by saving a Visio file in the .emf format which I then inserted as an image in a Word document. I then published the word document as a pdf (the detour into word was unnecessary here, but I wanted to see that it worked). For Latex work, I use a printer driver called Metafile to EPS Converter to "print" .eps files. You can also look into Adobe's postscript driver if you go down that road.

Unfortunately, drawing circuits in Visio can be a gigantic pain in the butt sometimes—and I mean send-you-to-mental-hospital kind of butt pain. Things refuse to align, move around, and stuff like that. Please, I don't want to talk about it. And some of the symbols are a bit on the ugly side (e.g. the inductor got to me, and I had to manually edit that one, which is easy btw). But if you're married, you know how to work your way through these things and all in all I find Visio useful. There aren't many alternatives, as you might have found out.

EDIT: As you can see I'm not the greatest circuit designer, but you can actually connect those symbols with a connector tool. Maybe an actual circuit would have been more illuminating, but oh well.

Attachments

• VisioSample.pdf
    107.9 KB · Views: 251
Last edited by a moderator:
I had a prof who would make the problem set circuits in Adobe Illustrator (or substitute cheaper / free-er alternative, i.e. Inkscape). They were top notch (if not super complex).

However, I've found that plotting the circuit schematic in the capture program--as opposed to printing, or even Print Screen-ing--generates much crisper and more professional looking graphics. You can then open the resulting vector images (KiCad can export directly to postscript or SVG, Protel could do PDF, etc.) in your vector program of choice (Illustrator or Inkscape, again) and export at your desired size to something you can import into Word or [itex]\LaTeX[/itex]

Greg-ulate said:
In addition, I just found something quite good!
https://www.circuitlab.com/
I saw your figures in your PLL thread and I agree they look pretty good! And with vector graphics export options too—not bad at all. Now if only those who prefer to describe their circuit problems on this forum with an incomprehensible wall of text instead could draw a diagram of their circuit with this tool...

Last edited:

1. What is a circuit diagram in a component data sheet?

A circuit diagram in a component data sheet is a graphical representation of an electronic circuit. It shows the connections between different components in a circuit and how they are arranged. This diagram is used by engineers and technicians to understand the functionality of a component and how it can be integrated into a larger system.

2. Why are circuit diagrams important in component data sheets?

Circuit diagrams are important in component data sheets because they provide a visual representation of how a component works and how it should be connected with other components. This information is crucial for understanding the functionality and limitations of a component, and for troubleshooting any issues that may arise during its use.

3. How are circuit diagrams created for component data sheets?

Circuit diagrams for component data sheets are typically created using specialized software or by hand using symbols and conventions that are standardized in the industry. The diagrams are based on the technical specifications and design of the component, and they are usually reviewed and verified by multiple engineers before being included in the data sheet.

4. Can circuit diagrams in component data sheets be used for all types of electronic components?

Yes, circuit diagrams can be created for all types of electronic components, including resistors, capacitors, transistors, and integrated circuits. However, the level of detail and complexity of the diagram may vary depending on the complexity of the component and its role in the circuit.

5. Are circuit diagrams in component data sheets standardized?

Yes, circuit diagrams in component data sheets are typically standardized. This means that the symbols and conventions used to represent components and their connections are consistent across different data sheets and manufacturers. This makes it easier for engineers to understand and compare different components and their specifications.