Find the work done by the force field F on particle moving along path

In summary, the conversation is about finding the work done by the force field F on a particle moving along a path given by y = x^3 from (0,0) to (6,216). The solution involves parametrizing the path and evaluating a line integral using the parametrized form and the force field. The person asking for assistance is unsure about how to proceed and is advised to calculate the integral using the parametrized form and the derivative of the path.
opaquin

Homework Statement

Find the work done by the force field F on particle moving along path

F(x,y) = -xi + 6yj, <I>C</I>: y = x^3 from (0,0) to (6,216)

The Attempt at a Solution

Drew the graph in the xy plane (y = x^3 is upper limit, x = 0 is lower limit)
W = F ° r'(t) dt
Vector field is not conservative
I want to find r'(t) but am confused as to how, just not sure where to go from here. I have a habit of over thinking problems and am probably doing so. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're given a path of the form [itex]y = f(x)[/itex], then you can always parametrize it as [itex](x(t),y(t)) = (t, f(t))[/itex].

in that case, would I just evaluate the line integral?
∫ f(x(t),y(t))||r'||

r(t) = _ i + _ j, _ <= t <= _

r(t) = (t)i + (t^3)j, 0 <= t <= 6
r'(t) = <1, 3t^2)

am I on the right track?

opaquin said:
in that case, would I just evaluate the line integral?
∫ f(x(t),y(t))||r'||

You need to calculate
[tex]\int_0^6 \mathbf{F}(\mathbf{r}(t)) \cdot \mathbf{r}'(t)\,\mathrm{d}t[/tex]

opaquin said:
r(t) = _ i + _ j, _ <= t <= _

r(t) = (t)i + (t^3)j, 0 <= t <= 6
r'(t) = <1, 3t^2)

am I on the right track?

Yes.

1. What is work and how is it related to force?

Work is a measure of the energy transferred to an object by a force. It is directly related to the force applied to an object and the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This means that the more force that is applied and the further the object moves, the more work is done.

2. How is the work done by a force field calculated?

The work done by a force field on a particle moving along a path is calculated by taking the dot product of the force vector and the displacement vector at each point along the path. This is then integrated over the entire path to find the total work done.

3. What is a force field and how does it affect the motion of a particle?

A force field is a region in which a force acts on a particle. It can be described by a vector field, which assigns a force vector to every point in space. The force field affects the motion of a particle by exerting a force on it, causing it to accelerate in a certain direction.

4. How does the path of the particle affect the work done by the force field?

The path of the particle can affect the work done by the force field in two ways. First, the length of the path will affect the total work done, as the work is calculated by integrating over the entire path. Second, the direction of the path can also affect the work done, as the dot product of the force and displacement vectors will change depending on the angle between them.

5. Can the work done by a force field be negative?

Yes, the work done by a force field can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the force and displacement vectors is greater than 90 degrees, causing the dot product to be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the motion, resulting in negative work.