The average of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average value of a function, y, between two values of x. The suggested mathematical way to do this is to use the formula \frac{1}{x_2-x_1}\int_{x_1}^{x_2}f(x)dx, which can be simplified to \frac{1}{b-a}\left(b - a + \text{tanh}^{-1}(a) - \text{tanh}^{-1}(b) \right). The conversation also includes a joke about assuming knowledge of hyperbolic tangent and its inverse function.
ribod
I have this function:
y=x/(x-1/x)
and I want to find out the average value of y, between two values of x.

Is there some mathematical way to do this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{1}{x_{2}-x_{1}} \int_{x_{1}}^{x_{2}} {\frac{x}{x-\frac{1}{x}} dx }[/tex]

[tex] a = x_{1}, b = x_{2} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{b-a} * ( b + \frac{1}{2}*log(b - 1) - \frac{1}{2}*log(b+1) - a - \frac{1}{2} * log(a-1) + \frac{1}{2} * log(a+1) ) [/tex]

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong but I think that nicely cancels down to:

[tex]\frac{1}{b - a}\left(b - a + \text{tanh}^{-1}(a) - \text{tanh}^{-1}(b) \right)[/tex]

Last edited:
And you assume that if OP doesn't know the avg of a function, then he'll know what hyperbolic tangent is :rofl:

I know what tanh is but not the average of a function.

Ah, but do you know what [tex]\tanh^{-1}[/tex] is??

The average of a function, f(x), between x= x1 and x= x2 is:
[tex]\frac{1}{x_2-x_1}\int_{x_1}^{x_2}f(x)dx[/tex]

1. What is the definition of the average of a function?

The average of a function is also known as the mean, which is obtained by adding all the values of the function and dividing by the total number of values.

2. How is the average of a function calculated?

The average of a function is calculated by taking the sum of all the values of the function and dividing it by the total number of values. This is represented by the formula: (f1 + f2 + f3 + ... + fn) / n

3. What is the significance of finding the average of a function?

Finding the average of a function is important as it gives a single value that represents the overall trend or behavior of the function. It can also be used to compare multiple functions and identify any differences or similarities between them.

4. Can the average of a function be negative?

Yes, the average of a function can be negative if the values of the function are mostly negative. However, if the function has a mix of positive and negative values, the average can be positive or negative depending on the distribution of the values.

5. How is the average of a function affected by outliers?

Outliers, which are extreme values in a dataset, can significantly affect the average of a function. They can pull the average towards their value, resulting in a skewed or inaccurate representation of the function. Therefore, it is important to identify and remove outliers before calculating the average of a function.