Calculating Activity of proton beam

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the activity produced by bombarding a 3.8 mg cm-2 thick lithium target with a 125 µA beam of 3.5 MeV protons for 15 minutes, assuming a reaction cross section of 300 mb. The attempt at a solution involves converting the given area density to an atomic density and using the activation equation, but there are uncertainties about the flux and other units.
wormhole228

Homework Statement

A natural lithium target 3.8 mg cm-2
thick is bombarded with a
125 µA beam of 3.5 MeV protons initiating a 7Li(p,n) reaction.
Assuming a reaction cross section of 300 mb, calculate the
activity produced by a 15 minute bombardment.

Homework Equations

λN=[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\sigma[/itex]NT(1-e-λt)
I=I0e-μx

The Attempt at a Solution

125μA=125μC/s(1 proton/1.602*10-19C)(15*60s)=7.022*1017 protons. I'm not really sure where I would go from here. I got μ/[itex]\rho[/itex]=0.0258 cm2/g. Yet, I can't find the actual linear attenuation coefficent. I figured we would use the activation equation, but I'm not sure on the flux, and the other units.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can convert the given area density to an atomic density - ideally in the units atoms/barn. Together with the given cross-section, ...

1. How is the activity of a proton beam calculated?

The activity of a proton beam can be calculated by multiplying the number of protons in the beam by the decay constant of the proton. The decay constant is a constant value determined by the type of particle and its energy. This calculation gives the activity in Becquerels (Bq).

2. What is the unit of measurement for the activity of a proton beam?

The unit of measurement for the activity of a proton beam is Becquerels (Bq). This unit is used to measure the rate of decay of radioactive materials, including protons. One Becquerel is equal to one decay per second.

3. How is the decay constant of a proton determined?

The decay constant of a proton is determined through experiments and measurements. Scientists use particle accelerators to produce proton beams at different energies and then measure the rate of decay. By analyzing these data, the decay constant can be calculated for different energy levels.

4. Is the activity of a proton beam affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as temperature, pressure, and magnetic fields can affect the activity of a proton beam. These factors can alter the behavior of protons and affect their decay rate. Therefore, it is important for scientists to consider and control these factors when calculating the activity of a proton beam.

5. How is the calculated activity of a proton beam used in practical applications?

The calculated activity of a proton beam is used in various practical applications, such as in medical treatments and research. Proton therapy, a type of cancer treatment, utilizes the precise delivery of proton beams to target and destroy cancer cells. In research, the activity of proton beams is used to study the properties of particles and their interactions, providing insights into the fundamental nature of matter.