Amount of kWh used to heat water

• Thread starter rullervea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Water
In summary, to heat 285 liters of water in a water heater from +5 °C to +75 °C, it would require approximately 23.2 kWh of energy. To heat the same amount of water from +20 °C to +75 °C, it would require approximately 18.2 kWh of energy. The equation used to calculate this is kWh = (Q*CJ*∆t)/T, where Q is the volume of water, CJ is the heat capacity, ∆t is the change in temperature, and T is the time. However, since T is not specified, the time value of 3600 seconds was used in this attempt.
rullervea

Homework Statement

How much kWh is beeing used to heat 285 liters of water in a water heater from:
1. + 5 °C to + 75 °C
2. + 20 °C to + 75 °C

Homework Equations

Found this equation:

kWh = (Q*CJ*∆t)/T

The Attempt at a Solution

Q = liter = 285
Cj = heat capacity = 4,18
∆t = 70 for 1. And 55 for 2.
T = is the time, but I'm not sure what to use here, so I used 3600.

So my answer was:
1. 23,2 kWh
2. 18,2 kWh

I have no clue if this is right or wrong because of the variable T. What is correct here?

Physics news on Phys.org
kWh is a unit of energy, so just calculate the energy using QC∆t, and then convert.

1 kWh = 1 kW * 1 hr = 1000 J/s * 3600 s = 3,600,000 J

So 1 J is?

Then just convert!

1. How do I calculate the amount of kWh used to heat water?

To calculate the amount of kWh used to heat water, you will need to know the temperature of the water before and after heating, the volume of water, and the efficiency of your heating source. Multiply the change in temperature by the specific heat capacity of water (4.186 joules/gram Celsius), then multiply that by the volume of water in grams. Finally, divide by 3,600,000 (the number of joules in 1 kWh) to get the amount of kWh used.

2. What factors affect the amount of kWh used to heat water?

The amount of kWh used to heat water is affected by the starting temperature and desired temperature of the water, the volume of water being heated, and the efficiency of the heating source. Other factors such as the type of heating source and any external factors (such as ambient temperature) can also play a role.

3. How much does it cost to heat water using 1 kWh?

The cost of heating water using 1 kWh will vary depending on your location and energy provider. You can check your energy bill or contact your provider to find the cost of 1 kWh in your area.

4. How can I reduce the amount of kWh used to heat water?

To reduce the amount of kWh used to heat water, you can try using a more efficient heating source, such as a tankless water heater or a solar water heater. You can also reduce the volume of water being heated or lower the desired temperature. Insulating your water heater and hot water pipes can also help to reduce energy loss.

5. Is it more energy-efficient to heat water using electricity or gas?

The most energy-efficient option for heating water will depend on your location and the cost of electricity and gas in your area. In general, gas tends to be a more efficient and cost-effective option for heating water, but this may not be the case in all regions. It is best to compare the cost and efficiency of both options before making a decision.