Couple of Questions Regarding EM Waves

In summary, the expert has provided accurate answers to the questions asked and confirms that the field is a vector and can determine the direction of an EM wave. They also mention that the point charge would experience a force and that electromagnetic standing waves have both energy and momentum.
virtuosowanaB
I'm a little unsure of my own answers to these questions. Hopefully I'll clear up my misconceptions.

1. If I measure the E-field and B-field at a point in space where there is an EM wave, would I be able to determine the direction it propagates from?

My Ans: I don't think so, since when you do a reading a a point, you only get the scalar value

2. If a point charge +q lies on the x-axis and is in the path of a sinousoidal EM wave, will the point charge move?

My Ans: I believe it would just oscillate at that point

3. Most vehicles have got upright and vertical receiving antennas. What does this tell about the E-field polarization of the radio waves that are being broadcasted?

My Ans: It is vertical.

4. Does electromagnetic standing waves have energy? Does it have momentum?

My Ans: Yes. Yes

Could anyone go through my answers and let me know if I have any misconceptions?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The field is a vector, if you measure it at any point it will still be a vector, if you measure the field at a point you will know about the field at that point, if you also know that the field is monochromatic you will know which direction it is headed towards.
Yes the point charge will experience a force.
Yes as long as the cross product between the E and B fields is non-zero there will be field momentum, all foelds on the other hand have energy.

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that can travel through space. They are composed of oscillating electric and magnetic fields and do not require a medium to propagate. Examples include radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. How do electromagnetic waves differ from other types of waves?

Unlike other types of waves, such as sound waves or water waves, electromagnetic waves do not require a medium to travel through. They can also travel through a vacuum, unlike mechanical waves which require a medium such as air or water. Additionally, electromagnetic waves have a much wider range of frequencies and wavelengths than other waves.

3. What are the applications of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have a wide range of applications in various fields such as communication, medicine, and technology. Radio waves are used for communication, while microwaves are used for cooking and radar technology. Infrared radiation is used in heat lamps and thermal imaging, while X-rays are used in medical imaging. Visible light is essential for vision and is also used in fiber optics for communication.

4. How do electromagnetic waves interact with matter?

Electromagnetic waves can have different interactions with matter depending on the frequency and intensity of the wave. They can be reflected, refracted, absorbed, or transmitted by different materials. For example, visible light is mostly transmitted through glass, while X-rays are mostly absorbed by dense materials like bone.

5. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies and wavelengths of electromagnetic waves. It includes all types of electromagnetic waves, from the longest radio waves to the shortest gamma rays. The different regions of the spectrum are categorized by their frequencies and can be used for different purposes based on their properties.