What is the trick to solving the integral of x/sqrt(x + 2)?

• Thread starter James Brady
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving the integral \int\frac{x}{\sqrt{x + 2}}dx, including using substitution and integration by parts. A helpful trick is also mentioned, where the integral is rewritten as a difference of two integrals and then solved.
James Brady
[itex]\int\frac{x}{\sqrt{x + 2}}dx[/itex]

We are still using substation as our method of solving integrals. I've rationalized the denominator, but that doesn't seem to help a whole lot. Any value for u I've picked so far hasn't worked. I've looked up the solution online, and I know it's not a trig integral. Any small hint would help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you recognise that
##\frac{1}{\sqrt{x + 2}} \propto \frac{d}{dx} \sqrt{x + 2}##
you could try integration by parts.

Or you could try ##x+2=u^2##.

Or u=x+2 :biggrin:

ehild

...or you use a little trick:

[tex]
\int \mathrm{d} x \frac{x}{\sqrt{x+2}}=\int \mathrm{d} x \frac{x+2-2}{\sqrt{x+2}} = \int \mathrm{d} x \left [(x+2)^{1/2}-2 (x+2)^{-1/2} \right ]=\frac{2}{3} (x+2)^{3/2} - 4 (x+2)^{1/2}+\text{const}.[/tex]

vanhees71 said:
...or you use a little trick:

[tex]
\int \mathrm{d} x \frac{x}{\sqrt{x+2}}=\int \mathrm{d} x \frac{x+2-2}{\sqrt{x+2}} = \int \mathrm{d} x \left [(x+2)^{1/2}-2 (x+2)^{-1/2} \right ]=\frac{2}{3} (x+2)^{3/2} - 4 (x+2)^{1/2}+\text{const}.[/tex]

Wow, sweet moves bro... I like that trick. Thanks a million.

1. What is the formula for the integral of x/sqrt(x + 2)?

The formula for the integral of x/sqrt(x + 2) is ∫x/√(x + 2) dx = 2√(x + 2) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of x/sqrt(x + 2)?

To solve the integral of x/sqrt(x + 2), you can use substitution by letting u = x + 2 and du = dx. This will transform the integral into ∫(u - 2)/√u du, which can then be solved using the power rule and the constant multiple rule.

3. Can the integral of x/sqrt(x + 2) be evaluated using integration by parts?

No, the integral of x/sqrt(x + 2) cannot be evaluated using integration by parts as it does not have the form of u dv or v du. It is better to use substitution to solve this integral.

4. What is the domain of the integral of x/sqrt(x + 2)?

The domain of the integral of x/sqrt(x + 2) is (-2, ∞). This is because the expression under the square root, x + 2, must be positive for the integral to be defined.

5. Can the integral of x/sqrt(x + 2) be solved using any other methods?

Yes, the integral of x/sqrt(x + 2) can also be solved using trigonometric substitution by letting x + 2 = 4 sin^2(θ) or x + 2 = 4 cos^2(θ). This will transform the integral into a simpler form that can be easily solved using trigonometric identities.