Solve Tricky Sine Integral: $$\int_{0}^{\pi}\sin{n x}\sin{x}^3 dx$$

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a solution for the integral $$\int_{0}^{\pi}\sin{n x}\sin{x}^3 dx$$ where n is a positive integer. Various sine and cosine identities are suggested as possible approaches, but it is ultimately determined that there may not be a closed solution for this integral. One possible solution is found by using the identity (\sin x)^3=\frac{1}{4}[3\sin x - \sin(3 x)], but this only works for n=1 and n=3. The conversation concludes by stating that more work would need to be done in order to find a solution for other values of n.
klawlor419

Homework Statement

Any ideas for how to solve the following integral?

$$\int_{0}^{\pi}\sin{n x}\sin{x}^3 dx$$

where n is a positive integer

Homework Equations

Various sine and cosine identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't much of a clue how to solve the integral. Its an odd function times an odd function which gives an even function, over a symmetric range (at least symmetric for the Sine function or perhaps portions of the function's n-values).

I tried clearing out a sin^2 from the integral by using the double-angle formula. It didn't really break down into anything that lead to any obvious results for the integrals.

Thanks ahead of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess that this is a typo, because I don't think that you can find a closed solution for that integral. So I think you want to solve
[tex]I=\int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} x \; \sin(n x) (\sin x)^3.[/tex]
In this case it may be helpful to use
[tex](\sin x)^3=\frac{1}{4}[3\sin x - \sin(3 x)].[/tex]

Yes that was a typo, sorry about that.

Cheers, I think I have done something like that already. I used the exponential forms for the sine functions and factored them all together. I am pretty sure that this gives that identity. In fact, it is very similar.

Once I factored together the terms, I found that only for the values of n=1 and n=3 does the integral have any value at all. Which are precisely the coefficients inside of the identity.

Though I am not completely satisfied with this answer. Because now it requires going back to the original and solving the integral for those specific values.

1. What is the value of the integral $\int_{0}^{\pi}\sin{n x}\sin{x}^3 dx$?

The value of the integral depends on the value of n. If n is an integer, the integral evaluates to 0. If n is not an integer, the integral evaluates to -2/(n^2-1).

2. Why is the integral $\int_{0}^{\pi}\sin{n x}\sin{x}^3 dx$ considered "tricky"?

This integral is considered "tricky" because it involves both a sine function and a sine function raised to a power, which can be difficult to integrate. Additionally, the value of the integral depends on the value of n, making it more complex to solve.

3. Can this integral be solved using basic integration techniques?

Yes, this integral can be solved using basic integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. However, the value of n must be considered in the solution process.

4. Is there a shortcut or trick to solve this integral?

Yes, there is a shortcut or trick to solve this integral. By using the trigonometric identity sin(A)sin(B) = (1/2)(cos(A-B)-cos(A+B)), the integral can be simplified to (1/2)\int_{0}^{\pi}cos((n-1)x) - cos((n+1)x) dx, which can be easily evaluated.

5. How is this integral used in real-world applications?

This integral has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to solve problems involving vibrations, sound waves, and periodic functions. It is also used in Fourier series to represent periodic functions as a sum of sine and cosine functions.