A<b<c and, f is bounded on [a,b]

• Thread starter phydis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bounded
You don't need to specify that.In summary, the given conditions of a<b<c and f being bounded on [a,b] and [b,c] lead to the conclusion that f is bounded on [a,c]. This is shown by the existence of M1 and M2 such that for all x in [a,b], |f(x)|≤M1 and for all x in [b,c], |f(x)|≤M2. By choosing M to be the maximum of M1 and M2, it can be shown that |f(x)| is less than M for all x in [a,c], thus proving that f is bounded on [a,c].
phydis

Homework Statement

a<b<c and, f is bounded on [a,b] and f is bounded on [b,c] prove that f is bounded on [a,c]

The Attempt at a Solution

there exist M1≥0 s.t. for all x ε [a,b] |f(x)|≤M1
there exist M2≥0 s.t. for all x ε [b,c] |f(x)|≤M2

for x ε [a,b] and x ε [b,c]
Let M>0, and let M>M1 and M>M2
therefore
|f(x)|≤M1<M --> |f(x)|<M and |f(x)|≤M2<M --> |f(x)|<M
∴ there exist M>0 s.t. |f(x)|<M *
so f is bounded on [a,c]

is this proof correct? definition says f is bounded on [a,c] if M≥0 s.t. for all x ε [a,c] |f(x)|≤M
but what I have proven is, f is bounded on [a,c] since M>0 s.t. for all x ε [a,c] |f(x)|<M :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
phydis said:

Homework Statement

a<b<c and, f is bounded on [a,b] and f is bounded on [b,c] prove that f is bounded on [a,c]

The Attempt at a Solution

there exist M1≥0 s.t. for all x ε [a,b] |f(x)|≤M1
there exist M2≥0 s.t. for all x ε [b,c] |f(x)|≤M2

for x ε [a,b] and x ε [b,c]
Let M>0, and let M>M1 and M>M2
therefore
|f(x)|≤M1<M --> |f(x)|<M and |f(x)|≤M2<M --> |f(x)|<M
∴ there exist M>0 s.t. |f(x)|<M *
so f is bounded on [a,c]

is this proof correct? definition says f is bounded on [a,c] if M≥0 s.t. for all x ε [a,c] |f(x)|≤M
but what I have proven is, f is bounded on [a,c] since M>0 s.t. for all x ε [a,c] |f(x)|<M :rolleyes:
Uh...if ##x\in[a,b]## and ##x\in[b,c]##, then ##x=b##. I think you meant ##x\in[a,c]##. :confused:

Mandelbroth said:
Uh...if ##x\in[a,b]## and ##x\in[b,c]##, then ##x=b##. I think you meant ##x\in[a,c]##. :confused:

Nope, I meant some ##x\inℝ## lies on [a,b] and some ##x\inℝ## lies on [b,c]

phydis said:
Nope, I meant some ##x\inℝ## lies on [a,b] and some ##x\inℝ## lies on [b,c]
That's not a good way to put it. It's confusing. Try using ##x_1## and ##x_2##.

Likes 1 person
What you should say is "if [itex]x\in [a, c][/itex] then either [itex]x\in [a, b][/itex] or [itex]x\in [b, c][/itex]". (You shouldn't use "x" to mean two different numbers.)

Also where you say "Let M>0, and let M>M1 and M>M2" it looks as if you were "letting" M be three different numbers. Better would be "Let M> max(M1, M2)". Of course, since M1 and M2 are both positive, it follows that M> 0.

Likes 1 person

FAQ: A<b<c and, f is bounded on [a,b]

1. What does the notation "A

The notation "A

2. What is the significance of "f" being bounded on the interval [a,b]?

When a function f is bounded on the interval [a,b], it means that the function has both a maximum and minimum value within that interval. This can help in determining the behavior and properties of the function within that range.

3. How is the boundedness of f related to the limit of the function?

The boundedness of f on [a,b] is closely related to the limit of the function. If f is bounded on [a,b], then the limit of the function exists and is also bounded on [a,b]. This means that the function does not approach infinity or negative infinity within the interval.

4. Can a function be bounded on [a,b] if it is not continuous?

Yes, a function can be bounded on [a,b] even if it is not continuous. Boundedness only refers to the range of values that the function can take on, whereas continuity refers to the smoothness of the function. A function can have sharp jumps or breaks and still be bounded on an interval.

5. How does the boundedness of f affect the behavior of the function?

The boundedness of f can affect the behavior of the function in different ways. If the function is bounded on [a,b], it means that the function does not have any extreme values (such as infinite or non-existent) in that interval. This can help in analyzing the behavior and properties of the function within that range.

Back