Objects in house moved-need some logical explanation

• Thread starter franklinwu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explanation
In summary, two of the patio pillows that are usually located on the patio couch moved 30-40 feet across the lawn. There was no wind and the weather was hot, so the pillow possibly could have dried up by the afternoon. The side gates to the left are unlocked, so it's possible some stranger walked into my back yard and threw my pillow across the lawn for no apparent reason. My conclusion is that the possibility of another human being doing this to be unlikely.
franklinwu
Objects in house moved--need some logical explanation

I currently reside in a 2 story single family home. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwZN-VaEpzfwaEE4ZXRpRnV3cVE/edit?usp=sharing. This past friday afternoon I noticed that two of my patio pillows (that looks like this) has moved from the patio couch. One was in the middle of the backyard lawn and the other was on the floor next to the couch.

Our gardener comes every Thursday morning, and we questioned him about this and he said he didn't see anything amiss on Thursday morning. Therefore my conclusion is that the pillow moved sometime afterwards. Our sprinklers turn on every morning. When I found the pillow on the grass, it was bone dry, which makes me wonder if it had sat out in the grass in the night, but probably not. The weather was hot, so the pillow possibly could have dried up by the afternoon. There was no wind, and even if it did, it would not explain how it moved that one pillow 30-40 ft across.

The side gates to the left are unlocked, so it's possible some stranger walked into my back yard and threw my pillow across the lawn for no apparent reason (although nothing else was amiss). I live in a quiet neighborhood in a cul-de-sac. There's hardly anyone on the street. This scenario is possible but very unlikely. Maybe the gardener threw my pillows? Possible, but again, unlikely. He could have lied about not seeing it, but very unlikely. The fence shown in the figure are intact with no holes to allow any animals/persons through, and tall enough to prevent climbing over. Again, my side gates are unlocked so it would be unnecessary for anyone to climb over. In addition, even if they had, the motive would be unclear. So my conclusion is that the possibility of another human being doing this to be unlikely.

My last deductive possibility is a wild cat climbing across the fence and played with these pillows. Again, seems unlikely, but that's the only possibility I have left. I'm not sure what the behaviors are of wildcats and whether they like to play with martha stewart pillows.

lastly, I was home most of Thurs and Fri and had no experience of anything amiss. My wife was at school both days and hadn't been out to the backyard at all (and she was the one who noticed it).

If anyone can think of any other plausible causes I would be interested in knowing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops, I forgot about those. Sorry. :shy:

arildno said:
Oops, I forgot about those. Sorry. :shy:

thanks for sarcasm :grumpy:

Or as Yoda would say
Those sorry oops forgot I about.:smile:

where you walking outside taliking on your phone at all?

256bits said:
Or as Yoda would say
Those sorry oops forgot I about.:smile:

where you walking outside taliking on your phone at all?

Nah, been sitting on the comp all day. haven't stepped foot to the backyard for several days (unless I sleep walked out)... pretty weird as far as I am concerned.

Raccoons?

The gardener decided to take a quick nap in the yard and forgot to replace the pillow when he was done

Bored kids, or racoons. Even squirrels, last a year a squirrel stole a neighbor's DUFFLE BAG off their balcony and I found it in the squirrel's nest in a nearby tree! Amazing. The squirrels here are really bad about stealing. I have to be careful what i leave outside. I'm always finding my stuff dumped places after they got tired of dragging it.

By the title I really thought someone mixed up this forum with another well-known one by physicsforums members :tongue2:

Evo said:
Bored kids, or racoons. Even squirrels, last a year a squirrel stole a neighbor's DUFFLE BAG off their balcony and I found it in the squirrel's nest in a nearby tree! Amazing. The squirrels here are really bad about stealing. I have to be careful what i leave outside. I'm always finding my stuff dumped places after they got tired of dragging it.

Interesting bit about the squirrel, at least it supports my guess about it being an animal that did this.

franklinwu said:
Interesting bit about the squirrel, at least it supports my guess about it being an animal that did this.
Mind boggling what they've taken off with. Some I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen them, a flower pot! It was plastic, but it was bigger than the squirrel.

The story was so interesting and then you killed it with the logical explanations/rationale thinking. Deep down I
was rooting for a cool ghost story...

I mean raccoons?

Arrested Development... COME ON! - YouTube

Caveat said:
The story was so interesting and then you killed it with the logical explanations/rationale thinking. Deep down I
was rooting for a cool ghost story...

I mean raccoons?

Arrested Development... COME ON! - YouTube

well, unless i actually capture some footage of this happening, this still could be a ghost story. i mean i do hear things that go bump in the night :uhh:

franklinwu said:
well, unless i actually capture some footage of this happening, this still could be a ghost story. i mean i do hear things that go bump in the night :uhh:

Raccoons exist; ghosts don't. Raccoons make things go bump in the night; ghosts can't because they don't exist.

Do you leave food around, like for a cat or dog?

As usual the answer is obviously ALIENS.

Evo said:
Mind boggling what they've taken off with. Some I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen them, a flower pot! It was plastic, but it was bigger than the squirrel.

We used to have a string of the old-fashioned Christmas lights across the front fence of our property. One by one the bulbs were disappearing - I thought it was neighborhood kids. But years later we found the nest, a squirrel's nest with about a dozen Christmas light bulbs (they had to unscrew them, for crying out loud!1!), empty cans, lots of fluff (did they tear up a pillow?!), a few socks (none that I recognized). Strings, bits of rope and wire. Nails :confused:. Amazing what they find 'valuable'.

lisab said:
Raccoons exist; ghosts don't. Raccoons make things go bump in the night; ghosts can't because they don't exist.

Do you leave food around, like for a cat or dog?

there are some fruit trees in the yard; don't know if they eat that kind of things, but otherwise no food outside.

franklinwu said:
there are some fruit trees in the yard; don't know if they eat that kind of things, but otherwise no food outside.

Yes indeed, they will go after fruit. They'll eat just about anything, especially high protein foods. Do you eat on the patio very much? Could there have been some food inadvertently spilled in the area, or on the pillows?

franklinwu said:
I'm not sure what the behaviors are of wildcats and whether they like to play with martha stewart pillows.

that made me lol :biggrin:

franklinwu said:

Is there any possibility that a monkey or chimp is hiding around your house and did everything ? I guess it might be so.

It was the daleks! Run for cover!

Remnants of a drunken pillowfight, which you blacked out during.

franklinwu said:

there are still things modern science can't explain, as such the answer could be mundane, or not. Who knows.

phoenixphysics said:
there are still things modern science can't explain, as such the answer could be mundane, or not. Who knows.

Indeed, It was the Daleks.

Enigman said:
Indeed, It was the Daleks.

Lawn gnomes.

Drakkith said:
Lawn gnomes.
278819957_23acae90f6_z.jpg

:tongue:

1. What could cause objects in a house to move on their own?

There are a few possible explanations for this phenomenon. One possibility is that there could be a draft or airflow in the house that is moving the objects. Another possibility is that the house could be settling or experiencing vibrations, which could cause objects to shift. Additionally, small animals or insects could be moving the objects unintentionally. Lastly, it could be a case of pareidolia, where our brains perceive patterns and movement in random events.

2. Why do some people believe that objects in a house moving is a paranormal occurrence?

Some people may attribute the movement of objects to paranormal activity because it is not easily explained by conventional means. Additionally, our beliefs and cultural backgrounds can influence our perception of what is considered "normal" or "supernatural". However, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of ghosts or other supernatural beings causing the movement of objects.

3. Can changes in temperature or humidity affect the movement of objects in a house?

Yes, changes in temperature or humidity can cause objects to expand or contract, which could lead to movement. For example, wooden furniture may swell or shrink with changes in humidity, causing it to move or shift. This is a natural occurrence and does not require any paranormal explanation.

4. Are there any scientific studies or experiments that have been done to explain moving objects in a house?

Yes, there have been many scientific studies and experiments conducted to explain the movement of objects in a house. These studies have found that factors such as air currents, vibrations, and changes in temperature and humidity can all contribute to the movement of objects. Additionally, researchers have also looked into psychological explanations, such as the ideomotor effect, which suggests that our unconscious thoughts and beliefs can influence our physical movements.

5. How can I prevent objects from moving in my house?

If you are experiencing objects moving in your house and want to prevent it, there are a few steps you can take. First, ensure that there are no drafts or air currents in your home by sealing any gaps or cracks. You can also make sure that your furniture is stable and not placed on uneven surfaces. Additionally, keeping a consistent temperature and humidity level in your house can help prevent objects from expanding or contracting and moving. If the movement of objects is causing concern, it may also be helpful to consult with a professional to investigate any potential structural issues in your home.