Earthquake Nearby: What Does 'Askew' Mean?

In summary, there was an earthquake of about 4.7 magnitude near the speaker's location. They then discovered the word "askew" in a questionnaire and searched its meaning on Google. They came across a cool website with hidden Google tricks. They also mentioned a similar experience on Wolfram Alpha and a secret message called an Easter Egg.
fluidistic
Gold Member
There's been an earthquake of about 4.7 on I don't know which scale less than 50 km away from where I live. I filled a questionnaire and there was the word askew in it, so I asked google what it means and... well try yourself. Put askew in google. :smile:

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl:

That's awesome!

Buahaha!

I
_Dont
__Get
___It

Last edited:
That's pretty awesome.

Although, not quite as good, it reminds me of this. Go to Wolfram Alpha and type in
"Answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything"

(You might have to be a Douglas Adams fan to get that though.)

:biggrin: why is it ?

collinsmark said:
That's pretty awesome.

Although, not quite as good, it reminds me of this. Go to Wolfram Alpha and type in
"Answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything"

(You might have to be a Douglas Adams fan to get that though.)

Easter Egg: A secret message or screen buried in an application.

Try typing easter egg in wolframalpha...
:tongue:

1. What does 'askew' mean?

'Askew' means to be in a crooked or off-center position, usually as a result of being pushed or pulled by a force, such as an earthquake. It can also refer to something being out of alignment or not in its intended or usual position.

2. How is 'askew' related to nearby earthquakes?

'Askew' is often used to describe the effects of an earthquake on objects or structures. When an earthquake occurs, the ground shakes and moves, causing things to become askew or out of their normal position.

3. What are some examples of things that can become askew during an earthquake?

Common examples of things that can become askew during an earthquake include furniture, shelves, pictures, and buildings. The severity of the earthquake and the strength and stability of the objects or structures will determine the extent to which they become askew.

4. Is it dangerous for things to become askew during an earthquake?

It can be dangerous for things to become askew during an earthquake, especially if they are heavy objects that can fall and cause injury or damage. It is important to secure objects and structures to prevent them from becoming askew during an earthquake.

5. Can an earthquake cause the Earth to become askew?

Yes, an earthquake can cause the Earth's surface to become askew. The movement of tectonic plates during an earthquake can shift the Earth's crust and change its orientation, causing it to become askew in relation to its previous position.