Threshold energy of proton beam?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum energy for a proton beam to create pions with 100 GeV of momentum by colliding with a fixed target. The individual attempted a solution by using the center-of-mass frame and taking into account the momentum of the pion in the lab frame. They used relativistic equations for energy, velocity, and mass, and ultimately arrived at a value of 8.5 TeV for the energy of the proton beam. They also asked for clarification on the relevance of the center-of-mass frame in this scenario.
Kyrios

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the minimum energy for a proton beam to make pions that have 100Gev of momentum. The proton beam is hitting a fixed target.

Homework Equations

p + n -> n + n + ##π^{+}##

The Attempt at a Solution

In the centre of mass frame, there is zero initial momentum. But the pion has 100GeV of momentum on the other side, so I gave the neutrons the same amount in the opposite direction to cancel it out.

Then I used E=2m##c^2## for the initial energy and got the relativistic mass. (I wasn't sure about this)
The velocity was very close to the speed of light, and I then used relativistic velocity addition to find gamma. (this is for the proton colliding with the neutron)

I had gamma ~ 9000
In the end I had an answer of ##E_{proton beam}## ~ 8.5 TeV

Is this the right sort of value to be looking at? If necessary I can write up all my working.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the 100 GeV momentum of the pion measured in the lab frame? If so, that's not the momentum of the pion in the center-of-mass frame.

How can I find out what the momentum is in the CoM frame? Do I still need the CoM frame?

1. What is the definition of threshold energy of proton beam?

The threshold energy of proton beam is the minimum amount of energy that a proton beam must have in order to cause a particular reaction or interaction with a target material.

2. How is the threshold energy of proton beam determined?

The threshold energy of proton beam can be determined through experiments where the energy of the beam is gradually increased until the desired reaction or interaction occurs. The minimum energy needed for the reaction to take place is then identified as the threshold energy.

3. Why is the threshold energy of proton beam important?

The threshold energy of proton beam is important because it determines whether or not a specific reaction or interaction can occur. It also helps scientists understand the behavior and properties of matter at different energy levels.

4. How does the threshold energy of proton beam vary for different target materials?

The threshold energy of proton beam varies for different target materials because it is dependent on the properties and composition of the material. For example, a material with a higher atomic number will typically have a higher threshold energy compared to a material with a lower atomic number.

5. Can the threshold energy of proton beam be manipulated?

Yes, the threshold energy of proton beam can be manipulated by changing the properties of the beam, such as its energy level and intensity. Scientists can also use different target materials to alter the threshold energy of the beam and study its effects on different materials.