Bernoulli, hypertension, migraine

• Thread starter lsgordon02143
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bernoulli
In summary, it seems that hormones could play a role in migraine development. Thank you for your time.
lsgordon02143
I found the following thread on PF:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=207950
that relates hypertension to Bernoulli's fluid pressure equations, and it got me to thinking:

I am aware that sometimes migraine headache leads to temporarily elevated blood pressure. I have read various explanations for this (pain -> stress, etc.) - but could it be just plain Bernoulli?

Since migraine is caused by (or causes?) dilation of blood vessels, wouldn't that lead to faster velocity for the same flow rate, thus lower pressure?

Bernoulli also perhaps explains how exercise temporarily elevates blood pressure, i.e. by increasing the total energy ("head") in the system..?

Any thoughts?

--LG

Biology news on Phys.org
Bernoulli's principle works fine for large vessels and for very low viscosity fluids like air. But, it neglects viscous pressure losses. As a fluid mechanics guy, I can tell you that in flow through capillaries, such as blood capillaries, the pressure variations are dominated by viscous losses. This is the reason, for a given flow rate, the pressure drop per unit length is greater in a constricted region of the capillary than in an unconstricted region. In short, there is much more to fluid mechanics than the Bernoulli equation.

People in extreme pain, like from a migraine, can also show elevated BP and heart rate. Exercise will raise BP because the heart rate is elevated to supply the muscles with increased oxygen.

According to Bernoulli's principle, from all my nanoseconds of research, if a vessel was reduced, would presure subside a little?

Migraine headaches are caused by neurogenic inflammation and vasodilation (increased diameter) of cerebral blood vessels. With stretching of the vessel walls, pain sensors are stimulated. Generalized symptoms of migraine result from pain related activation of the sympathetic nervous system. Medications used to treat migraines act to constrict cerebral blood vessels and reduce the stretching. This is precisely the opposite of what happens with most types of hypertension (high blood pressure) where systemic blood vessels may be constricted and are treated with medications which dilate blood vessels. Unlike migraines, hypertension is usually asymptomatic until there is end organ damage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11480266

Thank you!

lsgordon02143 said:
I found the following thread on PF:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=207950
that relates hypertension to Bernoulli's fluid pressure equations, and it got me to thinking:

I am aware that sometimes migraine headache leads to temporarily elevated blood pressure. I have read various explanations for this (pain -> stress, etc.) - but could it be just plain Bernoulli?

Since migraine is caused by (or causes?) dilation of blood vessels, wouldn't that lead to faster velocity for the same flow rate, thus lower pressure?

Bernoulli also perhaps explains how exercise temporarily elevates blood pressure, i.e. by increasing the total energy ("head") in the system..?

Any thoughts?

--LG
Welcome to PF. Did you read and understand my post in the thread?

Also, the post #15 by Q_Goest in the thread is right on target, and elaborates on what I said in post #2 of this thread.

I started a thread that may be interesting to some of you. It's not a researched hypothesis, or really a proper hypothesis at all, but rather a question to see if anyone else shares similar thoughts on the topic of hormones and coditions similar to the ones listed. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=722345

1. What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle is a physical law that states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle helps explain the lift of an airplane wing, the curve of a baseball, and the flow of fluids in pipes.

2. How does Bernoulli's principle relate to hypertension?

In the context of hypertension, Bernoulli's principle helps explain how increased blood flow velocity in narrowed blood vessels can result in decreased pressure, which can contribute to high blood pressure. This is why uncontrolled hypertension can lead to serious health problems, such as heart attack and stroke.

3. What is hypertension?

Hypertension, also known as high blood pressure, is a condition in which the force of blood against the walls of the arteries is consistently too high. This can lead to damage to the arteries and other organs, and increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, and other health issues.

4. Can hypertension cause migraines?

While there is no direct link between hypertension and migraines, some studies have shown that people with high blood pressure may have a higher risk of experiencing migraines. Additionally, certain medications used to treat hypertension may also trigger migraines in some individuals.

5. How can hypertension be managed?

Hypertension can be managed through lifestyle changes, such as maintaining a healthy diet, exercising regularly, avoiding tobacco products, and managing stress. In some cases, medication may also be necessary to control blood pressure levels. Regular check-ups and working with a healthcare provider are important for effectively managing hypertension.