Infrared Drying for firecrackers. Possible?

In summary, A firecracker manufacturing firm has approached us to build a dryer for their products. The current method of drying is to lay them out in the sun, but they want a more sophisticated approach. The idea of using infrared panels to heat the firecrackers in a tunnel is being considered, but there is concern about the risk of dust explosion. The possibility of using freeze drying or vacuum drying with a cold condenser is also being discussed, but there are concerns about static electricity and ignition. Experimental data on drying times and quantities is needed.
kunalv
Hello.

We've been entrusted the job of building a dryer for firecrackers. We were approached by a huge firecracker manufacturing firm here for the job. The current MO of drying is simply laying the product out in the sun and allow evaporation of moisture.

But now they plan to go in for a more 'sophisticated' approach.

I know that the whole concept of heating the firecrackers to dry them sounds crazy. But, I believe if I pass them through a tunnel with infrared panels used for drying, and by controlling the temperature and speed of the conveyor, I might be able to achieve it.

Then again, I'm aware of the concept of dust explosion.

If anyone can provide some good insight into the topic, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Engineering news on Phys.org
Would freeze drying work?

Sounds like an interesting idea...

Is there experimental data how long at which temperature firecrackers need to get dry?
How many firecrackers per time? That is a critical point, your tunnel won't be as large as areas with sunlight.

I like the "Related discussions" below, vacuum drying. Wonder if it even works like that?

Vacuum drying with a cold condenser would seem the way to go.

However, beware that very dry conditions increase risk of static electric discharge and ignition of the fireworks, which is one reason for using wooden implements and make sure metals are well grounded.

1. What is infrared drying?

Infrared drying is a method of drying that uses infrared radiation to heat and evaporate water or other solvents from a material. This process is commonly used in industrial applications to dry coatings, films, and other products more quickly and efficiently than traditional methods.

2. How does infrared drying work for firecrackers?

Infrared drying works for firecrackers in the same way as it does for other materials. The infrared radiation is absorbed by the water or solvent in the firecracker, causing it to evaporate and leave the firecracker dry. This process can be controlled to ensure that the firecrackers are dried evenly and thoroughly.

3. Is infrared drying safe for firecrackers?

Yes, infrared drying is safe for firecrackers. The infrared radiation used in this process is not hot enough to cause the firecrackers to explode. Additionally, the process can be carefully controlled to ensure that the firecrackers do not get too hot, which could potentially lead to an explosion.

4. How long does it take for firecrackers to dry using infrared technology?

This can vary depending on the type and size of the firecrackers, as well as the specific infrared drying equipment being used. However, in general, firecrackers can be dried using infrared technology in a matter of minutes, compared to hours or days using traditional methods.

5. Are there any other benefits of using infrared drying for firecrackers?

Yes, there are several other benefits of using infrared drying for firecrackers. It is a more energy-efficient method, as it does not require as much heat or time as traditional methods. It also allows for better control and consistency in the drying process, resulting in more evenly dried and higher quality firecrackers.

Back