Where Can I Find Beginner-Friendly Books on Quantum Physics?

• Thread starter Eigna
  • Start date
In summary, a high school student is seeking recommendations for books on quantum physics. They are interested in starting from the basics and want to discuss the content with someone knowledgeable. Some recommended books are "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat" and "Schrodinger's Kittens" by John Gribbin, Feynman's Lectures on Physics, and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths. However, it is noted that a deep understanding of quantum mechanics requires a strong grasp of mathematics. Additional resources such as "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" by Feynman and "Quantum Reality" by Nick Herbert are also suggested.
Eigna
:smile:

I am a sophmore in high school and I am really interested in buying a credible book to get me started on the path towards understanding "The Point Zero Field" and basic quantum physics. I don't know where to start, it all seems overwhelming. I want to read everything I get my hands on. Can someone please recommend me some books that I can read with understanding. I'm willing to stretch my mind, but I don't want to be lost. I want to start at the beginning of quantum physics and work my way towards understanding. I also would like someone to discuss the contents on the book with because none of the teachers at my school know a lot of about this. I have tried to get help from them. Thank you in advance.

Angie

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I could use that list too.

The only books I've read on the subject are by John Gribbin: "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat" and "Schrodinger's Kittens." I think they're both great, since you don't have to be a Post Doc Mathematician or Physicist to understand them.

Hope that helped.

[tex]:)[/tex]

The Rev

The two paperbacks recommended by The Rev are a good place to get a non-technical flavor of what quantum mechanics is like.

Another series of books which straddles the fence between the non-technical and the technical are Feynman's Lectures on Physics. Volume III covers quantum mechanics in a rather easy (though very non-standard) way. These books are available in paperback for about $30 each.

To get a deeper (i.e. real) understanding of quantum mechanics, you will need textbooks. The best one for self-study is probably Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths.

Keep in mind that a technical understanding of QM will require a good bit of mathematical sophistication (linear algebra and single-variable calculus are a must), so you may have to have a few math books lying around for consultation, too.

- Warren

Eigna said:
I am really interested in buying a crediable book to get me started on the path towards understanding "The Point Zero Field" and basic quantum physics. Angie

The problem is that there is so much mathematics needed. The best non mathematical introduction is Feynman's "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter"
, which is quite inexpensive and available at many better bookstores:

Carl

Yes, I would echo what most people have said. I'm not sure what sophomore is, but I learned most about qm when I was 17 (which is a year before starting university in the UK), and I could not understand quantum mechanics until I could get round the maths.

I might also recommend Nick Herbert's "Quantum Reality", which uses analogies of sound to illustrate ideas like superposition. I found it quite useful years ago, and it's still in the stores.

What is the meaning of "Looking to Understand"?

"Looking to Understand" is a phrase commonly used to express a desire or intention to gain knowledge or comprehension about a particular topic, concept, or situation.

Why is it important to "Look to Understand"?

It is important to "Look to Understand" because it allows us to expand our knowledge and perspective, which can lead to personal growth, improved problem-solving abilities, and better decision making.

How can one effectively "Look to Understand"?

To effectively "Look to Understand", one can actively listen to others, gather information from reliable sources, ask questions, and approach the topic with an open mind and willingness to learn.

What are the benefits of "Looking to Understand" in the scientific field?

In the scientific field, "Looking to Understand" is crucial as it allows scientists to gain a deeper understanding of various phenomena, develop new theories, and advance knowledge in their respective fields. It also encourages collaboration and critical thinking.

What are some common obstacles to "Looking to Understand"?

Some common obstacles to "Looking to Understand" include biases, preconceived notions, and a lack of open-mindedness. These can hinder our ability to gather and process information objectively and hinder our understanding of a topic.