New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the upcoming premiere of the new Cosmos TV series and the possibility of it being a reboot of the original 1980 series with Carl Sagan. The conversation also touches on the use of CGI and computer animations in the new series and the announcement of a marathon of the original series before the premiere. There is also mention of a reboot of a different science fiction series called Space 1999 and how the new Cosmos series will be available for online streaming. The conversation also expresses opinions on the trailer and the choice of network for the show, as well as some early criticisms and praises for the first episode. Some specific topics discussed include the use of graphics and music, the overview of scientific concepts in the first episode, and
berkeman
Mentor
Looks like the new Cosmos TV series is about to start. We'd like to keep discussions about the series in a single thread, so feel free to post your thoughts and reactions and questions in this thread.

I really enjoyed the original Cosmos TV series with Carl Sagan. It was a bit over-done at times, but often I learned new things from it, and was impressed by the educational computer animations. So many years later, I'm guessing that the CGI will be pretty awesome, especially in HD.

And it looks like they will repeat the original Cosmos TV series in a marathon this weekend before starting to air the new series:

Looks, they will repeat the complete original Cosmos before the new series starts.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ampaign=Feed:+Tvbythenumbers+(TVbytheNumbers)

Likes 1 person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Just read an interview with NGT about the show in Popular Science. Really stoked to watch this!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Really stoked to watch this!
Yeah, same here!

EDIT: Trailer as a teaser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBTd9--9VMI

Last edited:
Funny thing is, back when I was a teenager I watched a series called Kosmos 1999 (which was originally titled Space 1999). In effect each time I hear about the Cosmos series I think about something completely different than most of you do.

Borek said:
Funny thing is, back when I was a teenager I watched a series called Kosmos 1999 (which was originally titled Space 1999). In effect each time I hear about the Cosmos series I think about something completely different than most of you do.
That series apparently is getting a reboot as well as Space 2099. But no, Space 1999 ≠ Cosmos, and Space 2099 ≠ Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey.

Very bizarre trailer.

Will this be on free public TV? If not I hope netflix picks it up quick!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Very bizarre trailer.

Not really, Greg. You have to remember that this is being put on primarily as ENTERTAINMENT, not science and I'm sure FOX thinks this is a killer trailer. Let's hope the science is not up to Fox's usual standard of gross inaccuracy.

I have basic cable and I'll get it. On the other hand, my wife, who doesn't have a $5/month cable box on her TV won't get it. She only gets < 100 channels from our basic subscription but for the $5/mo I get another couple of hundred. SO ... is it on public TV? I'm not sure. Probably depends on your service. Of course, I think of basic cable as "public TV" and the pay channels like HBO as not "public TV".

Greg Bernhardt said:
Very bizarre trailer.

It appears that it will be re-broadcast online on Fox after the tv airing according to their episode rules.

http://www.cosmosontv.com/

FOX is a surprising place to have a program like this. I thought it was quite good - a worthy successor to the original. I wonder if NdGT and AD wanted it on fox so that they could reach an audience that does not normally watch PBS or the science channel. If so, then having Obama at the beginning may have scared off the people they wanted to reach.

Algr said:
FOX is a surprising place to have a program like this. I thought it was quite good - a worthy successor to the original. I wonder if NdGT and AD wanted it on fox so that they could reach an audience that does not normally watch PBS or the science channel. If so, then having Obama at the beginning may have scared off the people they wanted to reach.

I wouldn't rate it that highly just yet.

This first episode was probably watched by a lot of people who don't usually watch PBS. It was obvious that the creationists were clubbed over the head.:devil: That is certainly an oddity for FOX.

Locally it was aired on FOX Sports 2. :confused:

I was not all that impressed. I love NdGT but this show was long on hot graphics and short on any actual explanations of the physics. BUT ... given that it IS a pop-sci show, it's sure better than crap like Through the Wormhole.

Yeah, edward, I was also struck by the fact that he was clobbering the creationists. That's a good thing and bodes well for the scientific integrity of the show even if it doesn't get into details as much as I'd like.

Well that was largely disappointing. The onslaught of statuses on my Facebook newsfeed praising the episode only makes matters worse. How in the world do people tolerate let alone enjoy this stuff?

I wish there was a David Attenborough of physics. That man was the god of educational scientific documentaries.

Enjoyed it very much. Graphics were beautiful, and of course, it brings science back into the livingrooms, to inspire the average person to wonder.

I recall the first episode of the original was also very much a brief overview of things that would be revisited in detail in later episodes.

Two things though: They use the Star Wars image of what an asteroid field looks like. Can a real field ever look like that? And a pity about the music - it's very generic TV cinema stuff. The original soundtrack was so striking.

Last edited:
I would rather have Tyson on an armchair rather than on a spaceship...
The first part was a CGI overkill, second part as an overview was better than most other pop-sci shows.
I liked the frequent stress on scientific method and the calendar analogy though.

I can't make heads or tails of the trailer(s) - what is this series about?

Watched the trailer, but have no idea what it's about (or whether I'd like to watch it).

According to imdb it's a documentary that "explores how we discovered the laws of nature and found our coordinates in space and time"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395695/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

For all I know it could have been an introduction to some very advanced cooking techniques :uhh:

The original Cosmos was hosted by Carl Sagan and aired in 1980. It was titled "A Personal Voyage"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Personal_Voyage

It's a popular science show and deals with a very wide range of subjects from Astronomy, Biology to Geology. The focus was more on physics but it introduced the scientific method in a very friendly, easy to understand manner to the uninitiated. Cosmos was considered by many to be the finest science show ever.

The new Cosmos is a reboot of the original series and is hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson and is titled A Spacetime Odyssey. Updated for new information that we have learned in the last 30 years and better special effects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Spacetime_Odyssey

Here is the link for Episode 1 online. It may not be accessible from outside the US, it seems they are allowing viewing for all instead of the 8 day wait.

http://www.fox.com/watch/183733315515

I've just seen the first episode, and I think it was ok. It seems to me that the scope will be "basic" science (i.e. not going so much into depth and detail) and covering a WIDE area of topics, and also including history to get it in perspective (like the original series). I think it is definitely aimed at a wide audience. I do agree with

phinds said:
I was not all that impressed. I love NdGT but this show was long on hot graphics and short on any actual explanations of the physics. BUT ... given that it IS a pop-sci show, it's sure better than crap like Through the Wormhole.

This was just the first episode. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the episodes turn out.

We'll probably watch the first episode tonight. Carl Sagan set the bar pretty high, in my opinion, so I'm going into this as objectively as I can.

Just watched the first episode now. I really liked it. One of the better pop-sci programs out there. It did have a very introductory feel to it, so I expect them to go deeper into the science in the next few episodes. I'm looking forward to it!

Yeah, if it's anything like the original Cosmos, this is definitely meant solely to be an introduction.
Maybe my memory is wrong but I just remember episode 1 of the original Cosmos to be Carl's comforting voice stringing together poetry while flying me around in a spaceship eventually telling me what a quasar is.

I enjoyed it, yes this episode is stuff PF members all know, but I think it's a great show for children, teenagers and people that know nothing about science. That was their target audience, so I think they have met their objective.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I enjoyed it, yes this episode is stuff PF members all know, but I think it's a great show for children, teenagers and people that know nothing about science. That was their target audience, so I think they have met their objective.

Agreed. We just finished watching it. We really appreciated how much it focused on the scientific method and its role in helping us distinguish fact from fiction. Certainly looking forward to more episodes.

Evo said:
It may not be accessible from outside the US
It's not. Guess I'll have to wait for it to come out in DVD...

Not sure how well this link works for everybody, but it worked for me.

(There's commercials to sit through, but it's worth it.)

I loved it! :!) :thumbs:

[Edit: I see Evo already posted the link a few posts ago. I got so excited, I didn't notice. Nevermind.]

Last edited:
The video you are attempting to watch is only available to viewers within the US, US territories, and military bases.

collinsmark said:
Not sure how well this link works for everybody, but it worked for me.

Works for me, thanks!

For those of you having issues watching via Fox's website, try Hulu's site. Not sure if it will remove the international restrictions, but I figured it's worth a try. Here is the link to the first episode of the series:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/604551 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dembadon said:
For those of you having issues watching via Fox's website, try Hulu's site. Not sure if it will remove the international restrictions, but I figured it's worth a try. Here is the link to the first episode of the series:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/604551 [Broken]

Blocked, says only accessible from the US. I'd be surprised if there's any legal ways to view this outside the US without jumping through hoops.

<ducks under swinging ban hammer>There's always US proxy servers!</ducks under swinging ban hammer>

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>1. What is "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series" about?</h2><p>The "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series" is a science documentary series that explores the mysteries of the universe and our place within it. It is a follow-up to the original "Cosmos" series, hosted by renowned astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson.</p><h2>2. How many episodes are there in "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series"?</h2><p>There are a total of 13 episodes in "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series". Each episode focuses on a different topic, ranging from the origins of the universe to the search for extraterrestrial life.</p><h2>3. Is "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series" scientifically accurate?</h2><p>Yes, "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series" is based on current scientific knowledge and research. The show also consults with experts in various fields to ensure accuracy and clarity in its presentation of scientific concepts.</p><h2>4. Can children watch "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series"?</h2><p>Yes, "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series" is suitable for children. The show is designed to be educational and entertaining for all ages, and it presents scientific information in a way that is easy to understand.</p><h2>5. Is "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series" available to watch online?</h2><p>Yes, "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series" is available to watch online through various streaming platforms. It can also be purchased on DVD or Blu-ray for those who prefer physical copies.</p>

1. What is "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series" about?

The "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series" is a science documentary series that explores the mysteries of the universe and our place within it. It is a follow-up to the original "Cosmos" series, hosted by renowned astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson.

2. How many episodes are there in "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series"?

There are a total of 13 episodes in "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series". Each episode focuses on a different topic, ranging from the origins of the universe to the search for extraterrestrial life.

3. Is "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series" scientifically accurate?

Yes, "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series" is based on current scientific knowledge and research. The show also consults with experts in various fields to ensure accuracy and clarity in its presentation of scientific concepts.

4. Can children watch "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series"?

Yes, "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series" is suitable for children. The show is designed to be educational and entertaining for all ages, and it presents scientific information in a way that is easy to understand.

5. Is "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series" available to watch online?

Yes, "New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series" is available to watch online through various streaming platforms. It can also be purchased on DVD or Blu-ray for those who prefer physical copies.