What is the interval of convergence for this power series?

In summary, the conversation involves using the ratio test to determine the interval of convergence for the summation from n=1 to infinity of (x-2)^n/(n*3^n). The teacher found the interval to be -1 <= x <= 5 and the speaker is struggling with the concept, but eventually remembers to take the limit and finds that the absolute value of x-2 must be less than 3 for the series to converge. Hurkyl's advice was to remember to take the limit.
oldunion
summation from n=1 to infinity (x-2)^n/(n*3^n).

My teacher got -1 <= x<= 5 as the interval of convergence because he found that x-2/3<1

Using the ratio test i get (x-2)n/(n+1)3, consistantly. This is driving me wild. :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you remember to take the limit?

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(x-2)^n}{n3^n}[/tex]

So using the ratio test we get,

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{(x-2)^{n+1}}{(n+1)3^{n+1}}*\frac{n3^n}{(x-2)^n}[/tex]

This reduces to

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{(x-2)n3^n}{(n+1)3^{n+1}}[/tex]

Which further reduces to...

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{n(x-2)}{3(n+1)}[/tex]

So, evaluating the limit we get:

[tex]\frac{{\mid}x-2{\mid}}{3} < 1[/tex]

I think Hurkyl's advice was easier than my work.

Last edited by a moderator:
ah yes, that's it! i forgot the limit. thank you

What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n(x-a)^n$, where $a_n$ are constants and $x$ is the variable. It is a type of mathematical series that is commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

What is the difference between a power series and a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a type of power series that is specifically centered around a particular value of $x$ (usually denoted by $a$). This means that the variable $x$ is replaced by $(x-a)$ in the power series formula. In other words, a Taylor series is a special case of a power series.

How are power series used in calculus?

Power series are used in calculus to represent functions as infinite sums of simpler polynomial terms. By manipulating and evaluating these series, we can approximate the values of functions, find their derivatives and integrals, and solve differential equations.

What is the convergence of a power series?

The convergence of a power series refers to whether or not the series will approach a finite limit as the number of terms approaches infinity. This depends on the values of the coefficients $a_n$ and the variable $x$. If the series converges, it can be used to approximate the value of the function for a given $x$ value.

How do I determine the convergence of a power series?

To determine the convergence of a power series, we can use various convergence tests such as the ratio test, root test, and integral test. These tests help us determine the range of $x$ values for which the series will converge. In some cases, the convergence may also depend on the values of the coefficients $a_n$.