Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
DennisN said:
Laser safety lecture #2:
"Do not look into the laser with your remaining eye."
(don't worry, it was just a joke)
Lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
I cut it.

I don't feel like doing anything today! I just wanted to stay in bed whole day but I had to get up to pretend that I'm feeling well...:frown:

From my experience in such cases, the longer you linger in bed the worse your day will get. I would just get on with my day instead of focusing on the negative.

Yeah, you're right. I'm feeling better now.

Sometimes staying in bed prevents the pain from getting worse, so less pain pills needed.

http://news.yahoo.com/cracks-appear-in-willis-tower-s-skydeck-145710739.html

A group of tourists checking out the Skydeck on the 103rd floor of the Chicago skyscraper received the shock of a lifetime when the glass pane they were standing on began to crack, NBC Chicago reports.
. . .
Garibay told NBC Chicago that after the protective layer began to crack, he alerted staffers. "When we pulled our phones to start recording and take pictures, they asked us to leave right away," he said.
Hmmm - 103 floors.

Evo said:
Sometimes staying in bed prevents the pain from getting worse, so less pain pills needed.

Definitely true with migraines. No movement, no light, no sound, no smells. Just keep the brain quiet.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It was very cool watching my happiness factor in the millions today.

:biggrin:

OmCheeto said:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It was very cool watching my happiness factor in the millions today.

:biggrin:

:smile:! It makes me happy to know there are people like you who take risks to pursue dreams. It will be awesome to see you change the world, Om. You give me hope!

I know I've posted this video before, like maybe last year or the year before that :biggrin:.

To the class of 2014: you have my admiration, and you have no idea how extraordinary you are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

I hope you find happiness.

Last edited:
lisab said:
To the class of 2014: you have my admiration, and you have no idea how extraordinary you are:

I better be gettin one of these when I graduate xP

Lisa! said:
I don't feel like doing anything today! I just wanted to stay in bed whole day but I had to get up to pretend that I'm feeling well...:frown:

That reminds me of myself when I was a teen, only that I made the excuse for myself almost always :/

lisab said:
:smile:! It makes me happy to know there are people like you who take risks to pursue dreams. It will be awesome to see you change the world, Om. You give me hope!

:smile:

Did you know that you are the only person who is optimistic about my future, besides myself of course.

I find the amount of pessimism in the world simply incredible. I have found over the last 6 months that people tend to focus on, and worry about, the most trivial of things.

ps. I love your "Favorite Quotes" you posted yesterday. That, and this post, reminded me of a scene from 2010

Betty; Why are you here?
Dave; I don’t know why. I think to say goodbye. I love you.
Betty; Oh Dave, I love you.
Dave; Goodbye Betty.
Betty; Don’t go.
Dave; I’m already there.
Betty; I don’t understand
Dave; Something is going to happen, and I wanted to say goodbye.
Betty; What's going to happen?
Dave; Something wonderful.
(ref)

:smile:

Yesterday I went to put some chicken I bought in the freezer. I'd last opened the freezer Wednesday.

Well, there was a large bag labeled "Target Wild Alaskan salmon" in my freezer, it had been opened and inside was a single fillet.

I didn't put it there, it's not mine, never seen it before. :eek:

Thursday the apartment maintenance guy came by to check the fire alarms, replace filters, etc..., I was there when he came in and don't remember him carrying fish, but I went in the other room for awhile while he was working.

So, it must be his salmon. Do I call the housing office and ask them if their repair guy left fish in my freezer? Surely he'll deny it, that's not allowed. They'll think I'm nuts.

Hmmmm isn't there some tradition here about greeting people with a fish ?

Maybe it's a secret admirer..

jim hardy said:

LOL!

At least it's filleted, finding a whole fish staring at me would have been much more disturbing, still, it's disturbing to find food in your freezer that you didn't put there, and I live alone.

Evo said:
LOL!

At least it's filleted, finding a whole fish staring at me would have been much more disturbing, still, it's disturbing to find food in your freezer that you didn't put there, and I live alone.

So they've finally found your new house!:uhh:

What time is it? It's 4:04. I'm sorry, the time you are looking for cannot be found.

Today a little bird hit the crystal of my house door. It fell into the grass and didn't move. I noticed it's friend stand on a cable and look at it. Soon it's friend came closer and stayed with his wounded not moving friend for a while. I went out and her/his friend flew away but stayed close. I moved the little wounded bird to a safer place and noticed it was bleeding on it's beak.

I didn't do anything else and went away because that kind of bird usually is afraid of humans and I thought that staying close to protect it would stress it and make it worse. So I left and soon a lot of other birds (from the same and other breeds) came and began looking from the distance and chirping.

So onto the point. My random thought was: "Could it be that birds feel empathy for their peers and stay close to protect the wounded from predators?"

In about an hour the wounded bleeding bird was gone. I suppose it recovered and flew away.

Awww, I hope it will be ok. If it's beak was damaged, it may not be able to eat. I don't want to think about the consequences. :cry:

Psinter said:
So I left and soon a lot of other birds (from the same and other breeds) came and began looking from the distance and chirping.

So onto the point. My random thought was: "Could it be that birds feel empathy for their peers and stay close to protect the wounded from predators?"

In about an hour the wounded bleeding bird was gone. I suppose it recovered and flew away.
Alternative explanation: the other birds were warning each other about the cat that had just found a free lunch. :devil:

Usually the technical term for "a wild bird that doesn't even try to move when you pick it up" is "dead".

What I fear is that it was knocked silly, but recovered it's senses, now the upsetting issue is the extent of the damage to the beak. The bird may be perfectly fine at this point, but if the damage to it's beak prevents it from eating, it's going to starve to death. A wild life center might have taken it, but who knows, you did what you could. If the only damage was short term to it's beak a diet of soft food placed in it's mouth while it was healing could save it, or they could determine it was doomed and put it down. That is if a nature center would even take it. If it was a common species, they might not care.

What matters is that you cared, and what you did was so sweet and compassionate. You gave it a fair chance. :smile:

I remember a blue jay that I found injured, I took it home and nursed it back to health, I was about to let it go and was cleaning it's cage when the cat rushed in and killed it.

Last edited:
I have a big window in the back room that seems to interest birds.
i often hear a loud "Thud" and see a bird lying on the ground, as if dead. Most of them revive after a couple minutes and fly away, but some don't. Critters always remove them overnight so I figure they're only 'dead' a little while. I've had several come to and fly out of my hand

My sister used to have an old tomcat that we nicknamed "Audobon" because he'd ignore common sparrows an starlings, only ever bringing home rare little finches and tufted something or others.
One of her beloved downy woodpeckers flew into the patio door one day knocking himself out. That wasn't unprecedented but within three seconds a neighborhood hawk swooped down and carried him away. Probably that's what the little fellow was trying to get away from.

You can't help feeling for the little guys.
When i was eleven we took in a bluejay nestling whose tree had blown down destroying the nest. Its parents were calling helplessly from nearby trees but there wasn't anything we could do for them. We put him in a basket in the kitchen and fed him from an eyedropper. He thrived on milk and eggyolks. He was a delightful and most entertaining pet. Jays will mimic sounds they hear and his vocabulary included a lot of kid sounds -whistles, shrieks and the first bar of "Peter and the Wolf". They're curious and smart - he stole our monopoly houses and would try to take a bath in your Cheerios if you didnt keep the surface covered. I learned to spoon the milk out from under them.
At about a year old he started calling to the jays outside so we set his cage out by the bird feeder. He came in the first few nights, then went his way. We heard his distinctive whistles for a couple more years.
Happy times.

old jim

ps have i told that story before ? Old guys repeat themselves,, repeat themselves,hmm mutter mumble...

jim hardy said:
ps have i told that story before ? Old guys repeat themselves,, repeat themselves,hmm mutter mumble...

I haven't heard it before, but then I'm old, too...so maybe I have heard it before :smile:!

There are lots of ideas online to prevent birds from flying into windows. Hang ribbons in front of the window (a bit unsightly), or hang sheer curtains (can be beautiful!).

Evo said:
The bird may be perfectly fine at this point, but if the damage to it's beak prevents it from eating, it's going to starve to death.

I remember a blue jay that I found injured, I took it home and nursed it back to health, I was about to let it go and was cleaning it's cage when the cat rushed in and killed it.
I want to think it can still be able to suck nectar from flowers. I've seen that breed doing that and eating insects so I guess it will have to be nectar until its beak can open more widely.
Evo said:
:cry: That was bad luck. To think that it killed instantly. Usually I see cats play with their food for a while. Really bad luck for the blue jay.
jim hardy said:
They're curious and smart - he stole our monopoly houses and would try to take a bath in your Cheerios if you didnt keep the surface covered.
That sounds like a lot of fun! :!) I would love to see one trying.
lisab said:
I haven't heard it before, but then I'm old, too...so maybe I have heard it before :smile:!

There are lots of ideas online to prevent birds from flying into windows. Hang ribbons in front of the window (a bit unsightly), or hang sheer curtains (can be beautiful!).
I shall try some then. :smile: Although this is the first time I see it happening and that door is like lots of years old.

Wait a minute... Yesterday I saw my mom cleaning the crystals with Windex... Now we know the culprit. It was Windex. It just came to me in this very instant.

No, it is not Windex. It is a clean window that is a problem. Simply keep them dirty and your birds will be OK.

You can buy decals in the bird shape to be put on the glass, you just typically need more than one in the case of huge surfaces.

I loved the jay story :smile: And just like Lisa I don't remember hearing it (and it doesn't mean anything).

jim hardy said:

you don't greet people with fish, you catch a raw specimen and smack/slap/bash/smash the hell out of someone with it :)

Falcoejectus

Borek said:
No, it is not Windex. It is a clean window that is a problem. Simply keep them dirty and your birds will be OK.

You can buy decals in the bird shape to be put on the glass, you just typically need more than one in the case of huge surfaces.

I loved the jay story :smile: And just like Lisa I don't remember hearing it (and it doesn't mean anything).

Thanks for the advice Borek. This solves the problem of various birds of prey being ejected from my ocular cavities when something tasty appears on the screen. Now that I have rubbed some mud on my glasses, the falcons fly around inside of my head with my other thoughts.

We must have some Spanish speakers here..

lisab said:
What time is it? It's 4:04. I'm sorry, the time you are looking for cannot be found.

I kept coming back and reading this post. Something about it stuck in my mind and I just now realized what it is.

We used to be able to dial the operator and ask for the correct time. (age showing) If their was such a convenience available now the operator would say: "The correct time cannot currently be found, please hang up and try again". Then it would keep repeating until we hung up.