Tilapia trash fish - raised on feces

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: The garbage fish isn't picky with its eating habits. That makes it cheap to farm and buy, but a big health risk to consumers who don't check its country of origin.As fish go, tilapia's lifestyle leaves much to be desired.They're a "garbage fish" in every sense of the word. They can survive in hopelessly polluted environments, they can be bred and raised in garbage cans and, when necessary, can subsist on a diet of other animals' excrement. It makes Tilapia so easily farmed that Americans eat close to 500 million pounds of it a year, according to the Department of Agriculture, or more than four times the amount of
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Does anyone eat this fish? It's probably the least healthy of all fish, being low in Omega 3 and higher in Omega 6, it's an unhealthy ratio of the two, and it just sounds really nasty.

Tilapia raised on feces hits US tables

The garbage fish isn't picky with its eating habits. That makes it cheap to farm and buy, but a big health risk to consumers who don't check its country of origin.

As fish go, tilapia's lifestyle leaves much to be desired.

They're a "garbage fish" in every sense of the word. They can survive in hopelessly polluted environments, they can be bred and raised in garbage cans and, when necessary, can subsist on a diet of other animals' excrement.

It makes Tilapia so easily farmed that Americans eat close to 500 million pounds of it a year, according to the Department of Agriculture, or more than four times the amount of Tilapia they ate a decade ago.

It also makes it bland and not particularly healthy for you. When its diet consists of manure, however, it's basically like feeding them salmonella and E.coli.

Michael Doyle, director of the Center for Food Safety at the University of Georgia, notes that the large amount of antibiotics that are given to the fish to ward off infections from the manure -- which is used as a cheap alternative to fish feed -- makes the strains of salmonella and E.coli those fish catch extremely hard to eliminate.

"While there are some really good aquaculture ponds in Asia, in many of these ponds -- or really in most of these ponds -- it's typical to use untreated chicken manure as the primary nutrition," he told MSN News. "In some places, like Thailand for example, they will just put the chickens over the pond and they just poop right in the pond."

http://money.msn.com/now/post--tilapia-raised-on-feces-hits-us-tables

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Damn, Evo, I wish you hadn't told me that. Yuch ! I just had a very nice spiced breaded tilapia dish for lunch yesterday. It's been one of my favoite fish meals, and I may never be able to eat it again. I had no idea about that.

Oh, well, I still love you anyway :smile:

Oh man, wife and I have been trying to eat more fish lately and just ate a bunch of tilapia filets the other day. Thankfully we didn't really like them that much and decided to go with other fish.

Are you going to spoil Swai and Salmon for us?

Yes, tilapia is indeed a real type of fish. Tilapia refers to several species of freshwater fish that are widely farmed for food around the world. They are known for their mild-flavored white flesh, which makes them popular in the culinary world. Tilapia is consumed in various forms, such as fillets, whole fish, and as an ingredient in various dishes.

Tilapia farming is common in many countries due to the fish's ability to thrive in a variety of environmental conditions, reproduce rapidly, and adapt to different diets. This adaptability and their relatively low cost have contributed to their popularity in the aquaculture industry.

There are different species of tilapia, and they can vary in appearance and size, but they are all considered real fish and are part of the animal kingdom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh oh...

I may have saved your lives. :eek:

Switching my diet over to more Tilapia fish would still be a better move for me. It can't possibly be worse than the junk I currently eat (read stuff in a box in the freezer to the microwave). :blushing:

[Then again, some of that stuff in the box in the freezer is also in fish-form. Hmm.]

I have a feeling it's healthy...

Used to buy this regularly some years ago, because it really was the only type of fish I could afford at the time. Country of origin: Vietnam.

Now I have to contend with chicken breast from chickens that have been raised on a hefty diet of dianabol, testosterone, and probably HGH. These chickens have some serious pecs, I bet they could out-bench me!

We can't win. Most of the above concerning tilapia was referring to fish imported from Asia where anything goes.

On the other hand American feed lot beef cattle are also fed chicken poo, albeit it is sterilized chicken poo, there is little regulation.

Poultry litter can be used as a feedstuff, but it presents special consumer issues that must be addressed. There are currently no federal or Missouri regulations governing the use of poultry litter as a feedstuff; however, certain common-sense guidelines apply. Poultry litter should not be fed to dairy cattle or beef cattle less than 21 days before slaughter. The reason for this prohibition is that the residues of certain pharmaceuticals used in poultry production may be present in poultry litter.

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G2077

zoobyshoe said:
American and Canadian farmed tilapia is fine. People shouldn't shun the fish altogether.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/tilapia.asp
But there is hardly any domestic tilapia, less than 5% and mostly the whole fish, not fillets, China is the major supplier of tilapia.

Plus, the fish itself isn't a healthy choice, it and catfish have the lowest omega 3 amounts, and tilapia has a ratio of twice the amount of omega 6 to omega 3 which is bad. I've read that you should have a ratio of 4:1 to 20:1 for omega 3 to omega 6.

Nutritional Concerns

For doctors, the debate has centered more on tilapia’s nutritional benefits, or lack thereof. Like all fish, tilapia is a good source of protein, with few of the unhealthy saturated fats in red meats. But unlike most other fish, tilapia contains relatively little of the fish oils that medical research has shown assist brain development and protect against heart disease, stroke and abnormal heart rhythms: a pair of omega-3 fatty acids.

“When people talk about the need to eat more fish, they are using that as a metaphor for fish oil, DHA and EPA,” said Edgar R. Miller III, associate professor of medicine and epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. “So what do we do about the fact that tilapia and catfish, which are farm raised, have very low levels of these compounds?”

While a portion of tilapia has 135 milligrams of omega-3 fatty acids, a portion of salmon has over 2,000 milligrams. And farmed tilapia may have even less than wild tilapia because fish acquire omega-3s by eating aquatic plants and other fish. “They are what they eat,” Dr. Bridson said.

But others are concerned about research showing that another type of fatty acids, the so-called omega-6 acids, outnumber the beneficial omega-3s in farmed tilapia by a factor of 2 to 1. Some research suggests that ratio increases the risk of heart disease; in salmon and trout the ratio is reversed.
So if you're eating tilapia for omega 3, stop.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/s...ml?pagewanted=2&_r=1&sq=tilapia&st=cse&scp=1&

They're also destroying the ecosystem and killing off beneficial fish, they are considered an invasive species and doing a lot of damage.

The Pollution Problem

But many biologists worry that the big business of tilapia farming will outweigh caution, leaving dead lakes and extinct species.

Dr. McCrary has spent the past decade studying how a small, short-lived tilapia farm degraded Lake Apoyo in Nicaragua. “One small cage screwed up the entire lake — the entire lake!” he said of the farm, which existed from 1995 to 2000.

Last edited:
A lot of the rice paddies of eastern Asia are personally fertilized by the farmer or his family members. If you eat fish and rice there, you're probably getting a double helping of crap. But, cycle of life and all that ...

Evo said:
But there is hardly any domestic tilapia, China is the major supplier

Plus, the fish itself isn't a healthy choice, it and catfish have the lowest omega 3 amounts, and tilapia has a ratio of twice the amount of omega 6 to omega 3 which is bad. You need a ratio of 20:1 for omega 3 to omega 6.

Tilapia is easy to farm yourself if you're worried about the supply chain, when I tried my hand at it I had a 200 gal tank set up and grew algae/plants in the sump that I re-fed to the fish. The biggest issues with it are managing the fish populations and setting up a breeder to keep the hatchlings out of the sump.

You probably really need a dedicated pool or pond to get enough fish to feed yourself and be somewhat self sufficient though.

Tilapia is pretty nasty tasting, and no amount of deep frying can save them (like cat fish), and yeah, it's not a real health food like salmon. It's cheap! I guess they have that going for them.

We have a organic farm and I have been eating tilapia for as far as i can remember. Well I stopped my consumption when i moved to Dubai. It is staple to Asian consumption. The small wild one taste different than the farmed variety. It has a distinctive taste compared to other white fresh water fish but I do agree that the mass produced type taste funny. It's like comparing grass to corn fed cows.

Not all salmon are healthy either.

Plants grow on manure as well right? The large amounts of antibiotics is very concerning, that should be forbidden.

Actually I spoke with a chicken farmer the other day, who had a very interesting approach to eliminating antibiotics: they disinfect a stable, after which they fully cover the ground with manure. The manure microorganisms create an environment in which disease-causing microorganisms cannot thrive (through competition), apparently it's working for them and they get healthy chickens.

Oh, and if you're worried about harmful bacteria, apparently it's hard to find a chicken without it. The Dutch government recently finished a few-year research program into the safety of meat, the Research Council for Safety conclusion: "the risks are too numerous and too serious".

Last edited:
Oh my. Redbelly Tilapia.

320px-Tilapia_zilli_Kineret.jpg

Not to be confused with Redbelly98.

My rule is I don't eat anything that poops.

leroyjenkens said:
My rule is I don't eat anything that poops.

So it's OK to eat things that are constipated?

I bought a bag the other day. It doesn't taste of anything anyway. Thanks for the info, I'm not eating them anymore.

Those fishes can indeed live in contaminated areas. A river close to my home is contaminated and they live there as if nothing. Me and my grandfather (which is no more) used to catch them with fishing rods. But we threw them back on the river after a while so they could continue living, we were just fishing for fun.

AlephZero said:
So it's OK to eat things that are constipated?
Pft, hahahaha.

Last edited:
Before we start jumping on the bandwagon to abandon the consumption of tilapia, it's important to keep several facts into consideration:

(1) Tilapia have a very low level of mercury, as they are fast-growing, lean and short-lived, with a primarily vegetarian diet, so do not accumulate mercury found in prey.

(2) Tilapia are low in saturated fat, calories, carbohydrates, and sodium, and are a good protein source. Tilapia also contain micronutrients such as phosporus, niacin, selenium, vitamin B12, and potassium.

(3) As far as the lower levels of omega-3 and higher levels of omega-6 are concerned, there have been recent studies published in various medical journals where randomized controlled trials have so far failed to show that omega-6 fatty acids elevated the risk of heart disease. In addition a study of 70,000 patients in Greece found administering omega-3 supplements provided no health benefits. See references 49, 50, 51 and 52 hyperlinked in the following Wikipedia article (Reference 52 links to a NY Daily News article, which in turn references an article published in the September 12, 2012 edication of JAMA -- admittedly second-hand source, but worth looking into nonetheless).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia#As_food

If you read the NY Times article I posted, you will see that the concerns are the unregulated Asian Imports, which, unfortunately, comprise ~ 95% of the tilapia Americans consume.

If you are eating tilapia for health benefits, it's a bad choice even if it comes from a reputable source.

Nutritional Concerns

For doctors, the debate has centered more on tilapia’s nutritional benefits, or lack thereof. Like all fish, tilapia is a good source of protein, with few of the unhealthy saturated fats in red meats. But unlike most other fish, tilapia contains relatively little of the fish oils that medical research has shown assist brain development and protect against heart disease, stroke and abnormal heart rhythms: a pair of omega-3 fatty acids.

“When people talk about the need to eat more fish, they are using that as a metaphor for fish oil, DHA and EPA,” said Edgar R. Miller III, associate professor of medicine and epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. “So what do we do about the fact that tilapia and catfish, which are farm raised, have very low levels of these compounds?”

There is a difference between "supplements" and a natural source. There are many studies showing that "natural" sources of Omega 3 are beneficial.

So, the point is, don't eat tilapia from uncertified sources, and if you're wanting health benefits, be aware that it is not a good source.

As for me, I'll stick to my sole, salmon and flounder.

Monique said:
The large amounts of antibiotics is very concerning, that should be forbidden.

Antibiotics in feed is something I've only really read about recently and become concerned with. We already have a growing problem of antibiotic resistance that is going to take stringent regulation and better practices to mitigate, do we really need to take the risk of antibiotic-resistant zoonosis?

Seems like methods you describe should become part of regulation.

I don't eat them...I have eaten them twice and had an allergic reaction...I thought it was the seasoning because I eat other seafood and shellfish with no problem. I don't really like them though...much prefer red snapper, porgies, salmon, and salted cod :biggrin:

To add to the idea that eating something that is raised on feces is nasty, cattle is being fed chicken litter (poultry excreta, spilled feed, feathers, and material used as bedding) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poultry_litter#Use_as_Cattle_Feed

The FDA investigated whether a ban was needed, because chicken feed contains ruminant remains, including tissues that can transmit mad cow disease, but the meat industry promised not to process brain and spinal cords.

HeLiXe said:
I don't eat them...I have eaten them twice and had an allergic reaction...I thought it was the seasoning because I eat other seafood and shellfish with no problem. I don't really like them though...much prefer red snapper, porgies, salmon, and salted cod :biggrin:
Salmon may also be farmed in pens, and of course, this means they are exposed to their excreta.

I overheard a conversation among two scientists concerning the problem of animal waste. I wonder if we should be concerned. :uhh:

Evo said:
There is a difference between "supplements" and a natural source.

Source?

Evo said:
There are many studies showing that "natural" sources of Omega 3 are beneficial.

Source?

ZombieFeynman said:
Source?
You should read the medical section, I've posted information on supplements there. But here you go.

Although previous research has shown that omega-3 fatty acids may help those who have already had a heart attack or suffer from heart failure, a new study finds that the supplements do little to prevent cardiac trouble in people who have risk factors for heart disease.

Italian researchers reported that omega-3 fatty acid supplements did not reduce death from heart disease or heart attacks or strokes in this vulnerable group.

Study co-author Dr. Maria Carla Roncaglioni, head of the Laboratory of General Practice Research at the Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, added that "there is no need to add a long-term preventive treatment with omega-3 fatty acids in people with cardiovascular risk factors [that are controlled with] evidence-based treatments and healthy lifestyle -- particularly with regard to dietary habits."

The report was published in the May 9 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/...ents-dont-protect-against-heart-trouble-study
Source?
Omega-3 fatty acids are considered essential fatty acids: They are necessary for human health but the body can’t make them -- you have to get them through food. Omega-3 fatty acids can be found in fish, such as salmon, tuna, and halibut, other seafood including algae and krill, some plants, and nut oils. Also known as polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), omega-3 fatty acids play a crucial role in brain function, as well as normal growth and development. They have also become popular because they may reduce the risk of heart disease. The American Heart Association recommends eating fish (particularly fatty fish such as mackerel, lake trout, herring, sardines, albacore tuna, and salmon) at least 2 times a week.

Research shows that omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation and may help lower risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and arthritis. Omega-3 fatty acids are highly concentrated in the brain and appear to be important for cognitive (brain memory and performance) and behavioral function. In fact, infants who do not get enough omega-3 fatty acids from their mothers during pregnancy are at risk for developing vision and nerve problems. Symptoms of omega-3 fatty acid deficiency include fatigue, poor memory, dry skin, heart problems, mood swings or depression, and poor circulation.

It is important to have the proper ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 (another essential fatty acid) in the diet. Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation, and most omega-6 fatty acids tend to promote inflammation. The typical American diet tends to contain 14 - 25 times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids, which many nutritionally oriented physicians consider to be way too high on the omega-6 side.

Source: Omega-3 fatty acids | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/omega3-fatty-acids#ixzz2yhN4fw5B

University of Maryland Medical Center

Astronuc said:
Salmon may also be farmed in pens, and of course, this means they are exposed to their excreta.
I know -_- but salmon is so tasty
Astronuc said:
I overheard a conversation among two scientists concerning the problem of animal waste. I wonder if we should be concerned. :uhh:

This makes me feel that we totally should be concerned. I am actually a vegetarian right now...not sure for how long, so I may go back to eating fish one day...but there are still concerns with pesticides and other things. No matter what we eat there will always be an area of concern.

HeLiXe said:
I know -_- but salmon is so tasty
It's not an issue for salmon, they are not bottom feeders.

Evo said:
It's not an issue for salmon, they are not bottom feeders.

But antibiotics are a big issue with farmed salmon. They are used to stop skin parasites etc spreading quickly, in the high population density in the fish cages.

AlephZero said:
But antibiotics are a big issue with farmed salmon. They are used to stop skin parasites etc spreading quickly, in the high population density in the fish cages.
I was only referring to them eating poo. I only eat wild salmon.

AlephZero said:

poor salmon. :(