People interested in science

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, Neil DeGrasse Tyson believes that developed countries have a moral obligation to push the boundaries of science and space exploration. However, there is a debate on whether individuals with an interest in science have a moral obligation to do research and make the world a better place. Some argue that individuals should be free to pursue any career, while others believe that developed countries should provide funding for scientific research. There is also a concern that this line of thinking may lead to individuals appointing themselves as in charge of what others should do. Additionally, there is a discussion on the speed of light and the possibility of traveling faster than it through time dilation. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the idea that individuals should not be told what to do with their lives
cragar
I was watching Neil De grasse Tyson, and he said the developed countries have an obligation to push the boundaries of science and space exploration. I was thinking do people that have an interest in science have a moral obligation to do science research and make the world a better place, what does everyone think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I personally believe it is my freedom to decide what to do with my interests. I do like to see the world in a better place but I want to contribute because I want to, not because I have to.

My life, my decision whether I was an astronomer or physicist or whatever the hell. Space exploration is sci-fi to me, it's cool to see it being done, however, should we expect any practical outcome of it? I don't know, I don't care. First, get our s* sorted out here on god's green earth, then see what's out there, maybe.

Anyway, the speed of light cannot be reached or broken by any super ship no matter how powerful. Even IF somehow, through some miracle - what is the point? Would take 4 years still to reach the closest star system to ours (assuming we reach the speed of light instantenously with infinite acceleration) . Information feedback still is limited to the speed of light, means another 4 years to find out that what we discovered is a planet made of rock...greaat. Meanwhile, back on the Earth..

I was thinking do people that have an interest in science have a moral obligation to do science research and make the world a better place, what does everyone think?

Trouble with that line of thought is it'll tempt somebody to appoint himself in charge of what other people should be doing.. and the people to whom THAT idea appeals are the least qualified to do it..

“When a man’s business is worth minding, he will mind it. When it isn’t, he will mind other people’s business.” eric hoffer

cragar said:
I was watching Neil De grasse Tyson, and he said the developed countries have an obligation to push the boundaries of science and space exploration. I was thinking do people that have an interest in science have a moral obligation to do science research and make the world a better place, what does everyone think?

What EXACTLY did he say? I really like Tyson, but I despise people who feel the need to tell others what they should do so I'd be interested in hearing how he phrased this.

Individuals should be free to pursue anything they choose in life. I do feel that developed countries have a duty to fund scientific research and considering how important science is I think its a massively underfunded area. I'm pretty sure this is also the point that Tyson would of been making. OP do you have a link if otherwise?

If all people with an interest in science had an obligation to do scientific research, I think the world definitely would not be a better place. For example, who would be doctors or engineers if all those interested in science were doing research? The point is that nearly all fields could benefit from having people with an interest in science, not just those fields involving research. We already have this problem in some fields today. For example, very few in the US congress have any training in the sciences, which is troublesome considering that they're in charge of funding most of the research that goes on in the US.

lendav_rott said:
Would take 4 years still to reach the closest star system to ours (assuming we reach the speed of light instantenously with infinite acceleration) .

The nice thing about relativity is that you can get to the closest star system as fast as you like (except instantaneous). So if you want to get there in one second (and have the necessary fuel, and somehow survive the acceleration involved), then you can :tongue:

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
Trouble with that line of thought is it'll tempt somebody to appoint himself in charge of what other people should be doing..

Correct. We need some research into a way to stop this. :rolleyes:

and the people to whom THAT idea appeals are the least qualified to do it..

However if these people have the resources (money), they can make ideas happen with enough time; IMO. What to do?

micromass said:
The nice thing about relativity is that you can get to the closest star system as fast as you like (except instantaneous). So if you want to get there in one second (and have the necessary fuel, and somehow survive the acceleration involved), then you can :tongue:

How do you figure? As far as I know, the whole point of relativity is that we cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

samnorris93 said:
How do you figure? As far as I know, the whole point of relativity is that we cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

Yep, that too!

samnorris93 said:

you are forgetting time dilation, if I travel very close to c, my clock will slow way down. it won't take me 4 years to get to the nearest star, but way much less if I can travel fast. if we could travel at c which we can't no time would elapse.
I am not saying I am telling people what to do with their lives.
But let's say someone was dying out in the middle of a forest and doctor was walking by and could save his life, shouldn't he try to save his life, or should he say well I didn't feel like doing it I was on a hike. Maybe that's an extreme example,
Tyson talked about developed countries doing research in one of his penny for NASA talks I would have to look back on youtbue to find the talk. Tyson also talked about how space exploration would cause us to dream again and get people motivated and could lead to new inventions and science developments. I think people should have to opportunity to do what they want, so maybe we should have more funding for science and education in general so people can pursue what they want.

I thought he was talking about earth-time, hence the confusion.

Really, though, how strange would it be to travel that fast and then return to Earth to find that it no longer existed? :(

Most of us travel at most at 150 km/h-200km/h on freeways, time dilation doesn't quite help. The ones on the ship, it's weird, the formula for time dilation says it's the "actual time elapsed" over 0 if v = c, so the time passed is immeasurable.

lendav_rott said:
Most of us travel at most at 150 km/h-200km/h on freeways, time dilation doesn't quite help.

That's hardly close to the speed of light, is it?? (with respect to an observer who doesn't travel in his car)

1. What are some common misconceptions about science?

Some common misconceptions about science include the idea that it is always objective and that scientific theories are absolute truths. In reality, science is a constantly evolving process and theories are constantly being refined and updated based on new evidence. Additionally, science is not completely free from bias and subjectivity, as scientists are human beings with their own perspectives and biases.

2. How can I get involved in scientific research?

One way to get involved in scientific research is to pursue a degree in a scientific field and work in a research lab. Another option is to volunteer or intern at a research institution or participate in citizen science projects. Additionally, many universities and organizations offer opportunities for the general public to participate in research studies.

3. What are the benefits of being interested in science?

Being interested in science can lead to a deeper understanding of the world around us and the ability to critically evaluate information. It can also lead to a fulfilling career in a variety of fields, such as healthcare, technology, environmental science, and more. Additionally, being interested in science can help develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills that can be valuable in everyday life.

4. How can I keep up with the latest scientific advancements?

There are several ways to stay updated on the latest scientific advancements. You can follow reputable scientific journals and publications, attend conferences and seminars, join online communities and forums, and follow scientists and researchers on social media. It's also important to critically evaluate sources and be aware of potential biases or misinformation.

5. What can I do to support and promote science in my community?

There are many ways to support and promote science in your community. You can volunteer at science events or museums, advocate for science education and funding, participate in science outreach programs, and support local science organizations and initiatives. You can also engage in discussions and share accurate scientific information with others in your community.