How to integrate by parts when del operator is involved?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate a specific formula involving the divergence of a vector and volume element using integration by parts. The formula for integration by parts in higher dimensions is mentioned and the conversation ends with a request for clarification on how to apply the formula.
iScience
i'm trying to integrate this:

$$W=\frac{ε}{2}\int{\vec{∇}\cdot\vec{E})Vdτ}$$

where ε is a constant, E= -∇V, τ is a volume element

how do i end up with the following via integration by parts?

$$W=\frac{ε}{2}[-\int{\vec{E}\cdot(\vec{∇}V)dτ}+\oint{V\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{a}}$$]

where the vector a is an area element

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I know the formula for integration by parts, i don't know what to do with the del operator.

ie, I don't know what to make my 'u' and 'dv'.

^If you know the formula why are you asking?
There are some variations the one you want is

$$\int_{\mathcal{V}} \! k \, (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{A}) \, \mathrm{d}\mathcal{V}=\oint_{\partial \mathcal{V}} \! k \, \mathbf{A} \, \mathrm{d}\mathcal{S}-\int_{\mathcal{V}} \! \mathbf{A} \cdot (\nabla k) \, \mathrm{d}\mathcal{V}
\\ \text{which is like}
\\ \int u \, \mathrm{d}v=u \, v-\int v \, \mathrm{d}u
\\ \text{with}
\\u=k
\\v=\mathbf{A}$$

iScience said:
I know the formula for integration by parts, i don't know what to do with the del operator.
I'm sorry, but you did ask:
how do i end up with the following via integration by parts?
... and the answer to that question is to follow the formula for integration by parts. Now you say you know the formula?

Please show us your best attempt using your knowledge of the formula, so that we may better understand the question.

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals that are in the form of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and involves transforming the integral into a simpler form that can be easily evaluated.

2. How does integration by parts work?

The integration by parts formula is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are two functions. This formula is derived from the product rule of differentiation. It works by reducing the complexity of the integrand (the expression inside the integral) and hopefully making it easier to integrate.

3. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is useful in situations where the integral involves a product of two functions, one of which is difficult to integrate. It is also helpful in cases where the integral has trigonometric or logarithmic functions, as integration by parts can help simplify these functions.

4. What is the role of the del operator in integration by parts?

The del operator, represented by the symbol ∇, is a vector differential operator commonly used in multivariable calculus. In integration by parts, the del operator is involved when the integrand contains a vector function, and it helps to simplify the integration process by converting vector operations into scalar operations.

5. What are the steps for integrating by parts when the del operator is involved?

The steps for integrating by parts when the del operator is involved are as follows:1. Identify the u and dv terms in the integrand.2. Use the del operator to rewrite the u term in terms of v.3. Apply the integration by parts formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du.4. Integrate the u term using the appropriate rules.5. Substitute the values back into the integration by parts formula and simplify the integral.6. If necessary, repeat the process until the integral is in a simpler form that can be evaluated.