Diagonalize matrix: please check work

In summary, diagonalizing a matrix involves finding a similar matrix in diagonal form with all non-diagonal entries as zero. It is important because it simplifies calculations and allows for easier computation of powers, inverses, and eigenvalues. To diagonalize a matrix, one must find the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors, and use them to form a transformation matrix. A matrix is diagonalizable if it has enough linearly independent eigenvectors. To check for correctness, one can multiply the diagonalized matrix with the transformation matrix or verify the zero entries and correct eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

Homework Statement

I am pretty sure I went completely wrong but not sure where. Please help!

2 -3
2 -5

Homework Equations

2 -3
2 -5

The Attempt at a Solution

(note: I apologize for poor notation)

eigenvalues = -4, 1
eigenvectors = (1/√5)(1/2), (1/√10)(3/1)

The matrix is not symmetric, thus the diagonal is (Q^-1)(A)(Q) = λ

Без імені.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you have done looks good but your last line is not at all clear. You have not said what "Q" is. [itex]Q^{-1}AQ[/itex] is a 2 by 2 matrix, not a "diagonal", and you have not said what "[itex]\lambda[/itex]" is intended to mean. Your attachment is correct.

Likes 1 person

What does it mean to diagonalize a matrix?

Diagonalizing a matrix means finding a similar matrix that is in diagonal form, where all the non-diagonal entries are zero. This process involves finding a new basis for the matrix that allows for easier calculations and analysis.

Why is it important to diagonalize a matrix?

Diagonalizing a matrix can help simplify calculations and make it easier to understand the underlying structure of the matrix. It also allows for easier computation of powers, inverses, and eigenvalues of the matrix.

How do you diagonalize a matrix?

To diagonalize a matrix, you must first find the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of the matrix. Then, use these eigenvectors to form a transformation matrix, which can be used to transform the original matrix into its diagonal form.

What are the conditions for a matrix to be diagonalizable?

A matrix is diagonalizable if it has n linearly independent eigenvectors, where n is the size of the matrix. This means that there must be enough eigenvectors to form a basis for the matrix.

How can I check if my work in diagonalizing a matrix is correct?

You can check your work by multiplying the diagonalized matrix with the transformation matrix and seeing if it equals the original matrix. You can also check if the diagonalized matrix has all zero entries except for the diagonal, and if the eigenvalues and eigenvectors used are correct.