How Can We Petition for a Sidewalk on a Dangerous Road?

• Thread starter k_squared
  • Start date
In summary, the City of the individual speaker's city does not have a sidewalk along a road that is used for commerce and transportation by cars. This results in a high number of pedestrian fatalities and an increase in quality of life issues for the city because it limits transportation. To make matters worse, the majority of the city's large employers are located on the road, making it a tourist draw. There is a way to petition for a sidewalk, but it may not be legal to ride bikes on those sidewalks. Bicycle advocacy groups may be a good place to start.
k_squared
I live in a city where, unfortunately, most of the commerce is along an outer road of the highway - that does not have a sidewalk.

The City itself probably wouldn't mind a sidewalk, but, the transportation department controls the outer road.

People have been killed, repeatedly, going down this road on foot. It is a serious disabled access issue... I am an able-bodied cyclist, and even though the speed limit is only 40 m.p.h. I think cycling along the shoulder is next to insane, and I know some people who can't drive, that have to assume mortal danger every time they want to go to work.

It also degrades quality of life in the city, because it limits transportation options - commuting by car is the only choice that doesn't leave an aftertaste of mortality in your mouth, if traffic is doing anything.

This wouldn't be such an issue, but virtually all of the cities large employers are down this road. To make matters worse, it's a tourist conduit.

So, how does one petition for a sidewalk? I was literally going to start a petition, but I don't even know who to give the signatures to...

Physics news on Phys.org
k_squared said:
I live in a city where, unfortunately, most of the commerce is along an outer road of the highway - that does not have a sidewalk.

The City itself probably wouldn't mind a sidewalk, but, the transportation department controls the outer road.

People have been killed, repeatedly, going down this road on foot. It is a serious disabled access issue... I am an able-bodied cyclist, and even though the speed limit is only 40 m.p.h. I think cycling along the shoulder is next to insane, and I know some people who can't drive, that have to assume mortal danger every time they want to go to work.

It also degrades quality of life in the city, because it limits transportation options - commuting by car is the only choice that doesn't leave an aftertaste of mortality in your mouth, if traffic is doing anything.

This wouldn't be such an issue, but virtually all of the cities large employers are down this road. To make matters worse, it's a tourist conduit.

So, how does one petition for a sidewalk? I was literally going to start a petition, but I don't even know who to give the signatures to...
First, bicycles aren't always legally allowed on sidewalks, they are illegal where I live.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2013/08/legal-to-ride-a-bike-on-sidewalk.html

You can approach your city council about sidewalks, but it still may not be legal to ride bikes on those sidewalks.

It's really not all about the bike, but I do appreciate the response.

Thank you for this artical - laws do vary wildly.

I agree with Evo - your City Council is a good place to check.

Also, see if your city has a Planning Commission. Infrastructure is their thing! And they don't have the political pressures on them that City Councils often do. Go to a few of their meetings and share your concerns, they may be more open to citizen input.

Disclosure: my step father has been active on Planning Commissions all his career - I know he was strongly affected by citizens who would take the time to speak at meetings :smile:.

I just wanted to throw in my support for the general principle of more pedestrian and cyclist-friendly urban design. I find in general that the current "box store outlet" malls that are designed around cars are horribly difficult to navigate as either a pedestrian or a cyclist.

Another avenue to pusue (in addition to talking with your elected city council members) is to talk to someone at a local bicycle shop or cycling club. There may already be such initiatives in place that they would be aware of and rather than re-inventing the wheel, you might get more bank for your buck by supporting something that's already happening.

Hmm, I would like to search public accident records in order to use that information to cite safety concerns along that road - ie, I am trying to look up the cases where people have been struck and killed along this road.

However, I cannot find a way to search public accidents.

Does anyone know how to do this?

k_squared said:
Hmm, I would like to search public accident records in order to use that information to cite safety concerns along that road - ie, I am trying to look up the cases where people have been struck and killed along this road.

However, I cannot find a way to search public accidents.

Does anyone know how to do this?

If it's a small city street, it probably won't be available online. You may have to physically go to your local Transportation Department. I'd start by making some phone calls, if I were you.

Have you checked to find out if the property facing the road is owned by the city? Here property facing highways is mostly privately owned, and sidewalks are the responsibility of the landowner. It's why along a major road here the sidewalk starts and stops because some landowners don't want to care for a sidewalk.

For instance http://www.binghamton-ny.gov/departments/public-works/who-responsible-maintenance-sidewalks

1. What is the process for petitioning for a sidewalk?

The process for petitioning for a sidewalk varies depending on your location and local government regulations. In general, you will need to gather support from your community, submit a formal petition to your local government, and potentially attend a public hearing to present your case.

2. How many signatures do I need for a sidewalk petition?

The number of signatures required for a sidewalk petition also varies by location. In some areas, there may be a specific percentage of residents or property owners that need to sign the petition, while in others, a certain number of signatures may be required. It's important to check with your local government for specific requirements.

3. How long does the petitioning process take?

The timeline for the petitioning process can also vary. It can take several months to a year or more for a sidewalk petition to be approved and for construction to begin. The timeline may also be affected by factors such as funding availability and the complexity of the project.

4. What can I do if my sidewalk petition is denied?

If your sidewalk petition is denied, you may have the option to appeal the decision or try again in the future. It's important to understand the reasons for the denial and potentially gather more support or address any concerns that were raised by the local government.

5. How can I stay informed about the progress of my sidewalk petition?

You can stay informed about the progress of your sidewalk petition by regularly checking in with your local government or attending public meetings related to the project. You can also reach out to your local representatives or community organizations for updates and information.