Non-dimensional differential equation

In summary, the given conversation discusses a non-dimensional differential equation for the height of a body thrown vertically upwards from the ground. The equation is given by \begin{equation} \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -1-\mu (\frac{dx}{dt}) \end{equation} with initial conditions x(0)=0 and \frac{dx}{dt}(0) =1, and where 0<\mu<<1. The conversation then asks for the height at the highest point, where \frac{dx}{dt} =0, which is given by \begin{equation} h(\mu)= \frac{1}{\mu}- \frac{1}{\
wel
Gold Member
A body of constant mass is thrown vertically upwards from the ground. It can be shown that the appropriate non-dimensional differential equation for the height [itex]x(t;u)[/itex], reached at time [itex]t\geq0[/itex] is given by
\begin{equation} \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -1-\mu (\frac{dx}{dt})
\end{equation}
with corresponding initial conditions [itex]x(0)=0, \frac{dx}{dt}(0) =1[/itex], and where [itex]0<\mu<<1.[/itex]
Deduce that the (non-dimensional) height at the highest point (where [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} =0[/itex]) is given by
\begin{equation} h(\mu)= \frac{1}{\mu}- \frac{1}{\mu^2} log_e(1+\mu) \end{equation}

=>
It really hard for me to start

I was thinking do integration twice by doing the separation of variable:
\end{equation}
I got the general solution of \begin{equation}x(t)= \frac{log(t\mu +1) -t \mu}{\mu^2}\end{equation}

after that I do not know how to get the answer.
Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
wel said:
A body of constant mass is thrown vertically upwards from the ground. It can be shown that the appropriate non-dimensional differential equation for the height [itex]x(t;u)[/itex], reached at time [itex]t\geq0[/itex] is given by
\end{equation}
with corresponding initial conditions [itex]x(0)=0, \frac{dx}{dt}(0) =1[/itex], and where [itex]0<\mu<<1.[/itex]
Deduce that the (non-dimensional) height at the highest point (where [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} =0[/itex]) is given by
\begin{equation} h(\mu)= \frac{1}{\mu}- \frac{1}{\mu^2} log_e(1+\mu) \end{equation}

=>
It really hard for me to start

I was thinking do integration twice by doing the separation of variable:
\end{equation}
I got the general solution of \begin{equation}x(t)= \frac{log(t\mu +1) -t \mu}{\mu^2}\end{equation}

after that I do not know how to get the answer.
Please help me.

How did you get that solution? You have a constant coefficient second order DE. You wouldn't expect a logarithm in the solution.

What is a non-dimensional differential equation?

A non-dimensional differential equation is a type of mathematical equation used to describe the relationship between various variables in a system. It is called "non-dimensional" because all the variables in the equation have been scaled and normalized, removing any units or physical dimensions.

Why are non-dimensional differential equations used in science?

Non-dimensional differential equations are used in science because they allow for easier analysis and comparison of different systems. By removing the units and focusing on the relationships between variables, scientists can better understand the underlying principles and behaviors of a system.

What are some examples of non-dimensional differential equations?

Examples of non-dimensional differential equations include the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids, and the Lotka-Volterra equations, which model predator-prey relationships in ecology. These equations have been scaled and normalized to remove any physical units or dimensions.

How are non-dimensional differential equations solved?

Non-dimensional differential equations are typically solved using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve breaking the equation into smaller, simpler equations that can be solved step by step. There are also some specific analytical techniques for solving certain types of non-dimensional differential equations.

What are the limitations of non-dimensional differential equations?

While non-dimensional differential equations are useful for analyzing and understanding systems, they have some limitations. These equations rely on simplifying assumptions and may not accurately represent real-world situations. Additionally, they can be difficult to solve for complex systems with many variables and interactions.