Discrete proofs involving divisibility

In summary, the conversation is about proving the statement that n∈Z, n= a multiple of gcd(a,b) ⇔ n is a linear combination of a and b. The main challenge is in understanding the relationship between gcd and linear combinations. The expert suggests using Bezout's identity and focusing on the properties of a and b in relation to gcd to establish the proof.
mikky05v
I'm trying to do some extra course work to prepare for my final next week but I'm having a lot of trouble with the book problems. They talk about a lot of things we weren't taught. Can someone help me out here?

Prove: n[itex]\ni[/itex]Z, n= a multiple of gcd(a,b) ⇔ n is a linear combination of a and b

This question makes no sense to me. How do I prove that and where can I start. What does gcd have to do with linear combinations.

Physics news on Phys.org
mikky05v said:
I'm trying to do some extra course work to prepare for my final next week but I'm having a lot of trouble with the book problems. They talk about a lot of things we weren't taught. Can someone help me out here?

Prove: n[itex]\ni[/itex]Z, n= a multiple of gcd(a,b) ⇔ n is a linear combination of a and b

This question makes no sense to me. How do I prove that and where can I start. What does gcd have to do with linear combinations.

##n## is a linear combination of ##a## and ##b## should mean that there exist ##s,t\in\mathbb{Z}## such that ##n=sa+tb##.

Write down the precise mathematical meaning of "##n## is a multiple of ##\gcd (a,b)##" and see if that gets you started.

ok this is what i have
Prove: n∈Z n= a multiple pf gcd(a,b) ⇔ n is a linear combination of a and b

let gcd(a,b)=d. We are given that n=xd for some x∈Z
Using Bezout’s identity we can expand d, d= sa+tb for some s,t∈Z
Hence, n=xd=x(sa+tb)=xsa+xtb
We recognise this as a linear combination of a and b

now i don't know where to go to do the reverse direction

mikky05v said:
ok this is what i have
Prove: n∈Z n= a multiple pf gcd(a,b) ⇔ n is a linear combination of a and b

let gcd(a,b)=d. We are given that n=xd for some x∈Z
Using Bezout’s identity we can expand d, d= sa+tb for some s,t∈Z
Hence, n=xd=x(sa+tb)=xsa+xtb
We recognise this as a linear combination of a and b

now i don't know where to go to do the reverse direction

Given ##n=sa+tb## and ##d=\gcd (a,b)##, what can you say about ##n-sa##?

n-sa=tb where do i go with that?

Actually, forget that hint ... at least the part about focusing on ##n-sa##.

What are you trying to show about ##n## again? What do you know about ##a## and ##b##?

umm I am given n is a linear combination of a,b and I am trying to show that n is a multiple of gcd (a,b)?

Right. And what do you know about ##a## and ##b## in regards to ##\gcd(a,b)## that might help you establish that ##n## is a multiple of ##\gcd(a,b)##? Think about how you might prove that the sum of two even numbers is even.

What is divisibility?

Divisibility is the property of a number being divisible by another number without leaving a remainder. In other words, if a number is divisible by another number, the division operation would result in a whole number without any decimals.

How do you prove divisibility?

There are various proofs for divisibility, but the most commonly used one is the direct proof. This involves showing that if one number is divisible by another, then the quotient obtained from the division is also a whole number. This can be done by dividing the number and showing that the remainder is equal to zero.

What is the difference between divisibility and a multiple?

Divisibility refers to the property of one number being divisible by another, while a multiple is a number that can be obtained by multiplying another number. For example, 6 is divisible by 3, but 6 is a multiple of 2.

What is the divisibility rule for numbers ending in 0 or 5?

A number is divisible by 10 if its last digit is 0. Similarly, a number is divisible by 5 if its last digit is either 0 or 5. This rule can be extended to larger numbers as well. For example, a number is divisible by 100 if its last two digits are 00.

How can divisibility be applied in real-life situations?

Divisibility is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is applied in various fields such as finance, computer science, and cryptography. In finance, divisibility is used in currency exchange and stock market calculations. In computer science, it is used in algorithms to efficiently solve problems. In cryptography, divisibility is used to generate secure encryption keys.