Parseval's Theorem Homework: Fourier Sine Series

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Fourier sine series for a given function and using Parseval's theorem to obtain a certain sum. However, there seems to be an error in the application of Parseval's theorem, as it is not stated correctly for a sine series. The correct version for a complex Fourier series is provided, along with the relationship between ##c_n## and ##a_n## and ##b_n## for a real Fourier series.
AppleFritters

Homework Statement

I'm given the following function
[tex]f(x) = \begin{cases} x &-2<x<2\\ f(x+4) &\mbox{otherwise} \end{cases} [/tex]

And I'm asked to find the Fourier sine series. Then I'm supposed to use Parseval's theorem to obtain a certain sum.

Homework Equations

Since I have a sine Fourier series, Parseval's Theorem for this says
[tex] \frac{1}{b-a} \int_a^b |f(x)|^2 dx = \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n^2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I worked through and got the Fourier sine series for this function which is
[tex] f(x) = \frac{4}{\pi} \left[ \sin \left( \frac{\pi x}{2} \right) - \frac{1}{2} \sin \left( \frac{2 \pi x}{2} \right) + \frac{1}{3} \sin \left( \frac{3 \pi x}{2} \right) - \frac{1}{4} \sin \left( \frac{4 \pi x}{2} \right) + \ldots \right] [/tex]

Now I apply Parseval's Theorem:
[tex] \frac{1}{b-a} \int_a^b |f(x)|^2 dx = \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n^2 \\
\frac{1}{2-(-2)} \int_{-2}^2 x^2 dx = \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n^2 \\
[/tex]

On the left hand side:
[tex]\frac{1}{4} \int _{-2}^{2} x^2 dx = \frac{16}{12} [/tex]

On the right hand side:
[tex] \left(\frac{4}{\pi} \right)^2 \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{16}{\pi ^2} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2} [/tex]

Now equating the left and right hand sides:
[tex] \frac{16}{12} = \frac{16}{\pi ^2} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2}\\ [/tex]
[tex]\frac{\pi ^2}{12} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2} [/tex]

The answer I'm supposed to be getting is
[tex]\frac{\pi ^2}{6} \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2} [/tex]

So I'm off by a factor of a half somewhere but I can't figure it out. Some help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you have stated Parseval's theorem correctly for the sine series.

Parseval's theorem for the complex Fourier series is as follows:
$$\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}c_n e^{2\pi i n x / P}$$
in which case
$$\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}|c_n|^2 = \frac{1}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b} |f(x)|^2 dx$$
If you have a real Fourier series:
$$\frac{a_0}{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n \cos(2\pi n x / P) + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} b_n \sin(2\pi n x / P)$$
then how does ##c_n## relate to ##a_n## and ##b_n##?

Last edited:

1. What is Parseval's Theorem in relation to Fourier Sine Series?

Parseval's Theorem is a mathematical concept that states the total energy of a signal can be calculated by summing the squared magnitudes of all the individual frequency components in its Fourier Series representation. This theorem is often used in the context of Fourier Sine Series to determine the total energy of a signal over a certain period of time.

2. How is Parseval's Theorem used in practical applications?

Parseval's Theorem can be used in various practical applications such as signal processing, data compression, and image analysis. It allows us to accurately analyze and measure the energy of a signal, which can then be used to make informed decisions about the signal or to compare it with other signals.

3. What is the formula for Parseval's Theorem?

The formula for Parseval's Theorem is:
ab |f(x)|2 dx = a02/2 + Σn=1 (an2 + bn2)
Where an and bn are the Fourier coefficients of the signal f(x).

4. How is Parseval's Theorem related to the concept of energy conservation?

Parseval's Theorem is closely related to the concept of energy conservation because it states that the total energy of a signal remains constant regardless of its representation in the time or frequency domain. This means that the energy of a signal can be conserved and accurately calculated using Parseval's Theorem.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions to consider when using Parseval's Theorem?

One limitation of Parseval's Theorem is that it can only be applied to signals with finite energy, which means that the integral in the formula must converge. Additionally, it assumes that the signal is periodic and can be represented by a Fourier Series. Non-periodic signals may require other methods for calculating energy.