Is the Subset S Open, Closed, or Neither in Various Complex Spaces?

• Thread starter Oxymoron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Closed
In summary, the subsets S in Question 1, 2, and 3 are neither open nor closed, while the subset S in Question 4 is neither open nor closed. The subset S in Question 5 is closed, as its complement is open.
Oxymoron
Question 1

Let [itex]\mathcal{H} = \mathbb{C}^k[/itex], where [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex] is a Hilbert space. Then let

[tex]S = \left\{x : \sum_{i=1}^{k} |x_i| \leq 1 \right\}[/tex]

be a subset of [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex]. Is the subset [itex]S[/itex] open, closed or neither?

Question 2

Let [itex]\mathcal{H} = \mathbb{C}[/itex]. Then let

[tex]S = \left\{\frac{1}{n} : n\in \mathbb{N}\right\}[/tex]

be a subset of [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex]. Is the subset [itex]S[/itex] open, closed or neither?

Question 3

Let [itex]\mathcal{H} = \mathbb{C}^2[/itex]. Then let

[tex]S = \left\{(z,0) : z\in \mathbb{C}\right\}[/tex]

Question 4

Let [itex]\mathcal{H} = l^2[/itex]. Then let

[tex]S = \left\{x : \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} |x_i|^2 < 1\right\}[/tex]

Question 5

Let [itex]\mathcal{H} = L^2([0,1])[/itex]. Then let

[tex]S = \left\{f : f(t) \neq 0 \, \forall \, t \in [0,1]\right\}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solution 1

Intuitively, this set is closed because it contains its own boundary.

Solution 2

We can write out the subset as

[tex]S=\{1, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{3}, \frac{1}{4}, \dots \}[/tex]

In set notation...

[tex]S = (0,1][/tex]

That is, S is neither open nor closed.

Solution 3

Since [itex] (z,0) = 0 \, \forall \, z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex], then S is closed since the complement is open. ie since

[tex]\mathbb{C}^2 \backslash \left(S = \{0\}\right)[/tex] is open.

Oxymoron said:
Solution 2

We can write out the subset as

[tex]S=\{1, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{3}, \frac{1}{4}, \dots \}[/tex]

In set notation...

[tex]S = (0,1][/tex]

That is, S is neither open nor closed.

? I would interpret (0, 1] as the set of all real numbers between 0 and 1 (including 1 but not 0) not S.

Of course, it is true that the set is neither open nor closed. It is not open because a neighborhood of 1/n, a disk in the complex plane centered on 1/n will contain numbers not in the set. It is not closed because the sequence has limit point 0 which is not in the set. (If 0 were included, the set would be closed.)

Oxymoron said:
Solution 3

Since [itex] (z,0) = 0 \, \forall \, z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex], then S is closed since the complement is open. ie since

[tex]\mathbb{C}^2 \backslash \left(S = \{0\}\right)[/tex] is open.

I may be misunderstanding your notation. It is true that S is closed because the complement of S is open.
But I don't understand your saying (z, 0)= 0 . (z, 0) (for all complex z) is topologically equivalent to the complex plane in the same way that the x-axis, y= 0 (all points (x, 0)), is topologically equivalent to the real line.

And I really don't understand what you mean by [tex]\mathbb{C}^2 \backslash \left(S = \{0\}\right)[/tex]. What could S= {0} mean?

? I would interpret (0, 1] as the set of all real numbers between 0 and 1 (including 1 but not 0) not S.

Ha. I don't know what I was talking about ? You are right of course, and what you wrote is exactly what I was thinking...

I may be misunderstanding your notation. It is true that S is closed because the complement of S is open. But I don't understand your saying (z, 0)= 0 . (z, 0) (for all complex z) is topologically equivalent to the complex plane in the same way that the x-axis, y= 0 (all points (x, 0)), is topologically equivalent to the real line.

I see. I wasnt sure what was meant by (z,0) - but from what you wrote I would guess that what the question means. I suppose I had a lucky guess then!?

Last edited:

1. What is an open, closed, or neither system?

An open system is one in which energy and matter can freely enter and exit. A closed system is one in which energy can enter and exit, but matter cannot. A system that is neither open nor closed is one in which both energy and matter cannot enter or exit.

2. How does the concept of open, closed, or neither apply to scientific experiments?

In scientific experiments, the system being studied is often considered closed, as no energy or matter is allowed to enter or exit during the course of the experiment. However, some experiments may involve an open system, where energy or matter is intentionally introduced to observe its effects.

3. Can a system change from open to closed, or vice versa?

Yes, a system can change from open to closed or vice versa. This can occur due to external factors such as the addition or removal of a barrier, or due to internal changes such as the consumption or release of energy or matter.

4. Why is it important to consider whether a system is open, closed, or neither?

The classification of a system as open, closed, or neither is important because it affects the behavior and dynamics of the system. For example, an open system is more likely to exchange energy and matter with its surroundings, while a closed system may exhibit more stable and predictable behavior.

5. How does the concept of open, closed, or neither relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics govern the transfer and transformation of energy in a system. The classification of a system as open, closed, or neither is directly related to these laws, as they dictate the behavior of energy and matter in a given system.