Which is the more advanced technology: Stealth bombers or submarines?

• Thread starter redgoat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Submarine
In summary, the conversation discusses the technological difficulty of building a stealth B-2 bomber versus a Virginia class submarine. Both parties agree that the submarine is more technologically advanced due to its size and the complex tasks it must perform, such as withstanding extreme pressures and minimizing noise. The discussion also touches on the different methods of achieving stealth for planes and submarines and the advancements in sound-deadening technology for submarines. Overall, the group concludes that while both vehicles are highly advanced, the submarine may be considered more technologically challenging to build.
redgoat
Which one is more technologically difficult to build, the latest stealth B-2 bomber or the latest version of Virgina class submarine?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Very interesting question. I would guess a submarine, b/c of it's size.

yah me too... only thing really new to the b-2 is the stealth part. Subs have entire nuclear reactors on board...

I would have to go with the sub as well. Simply for the sheer size of the project. Also, since the sub sees incredible pressures, the majority of the welding must be done by hand and then inspected. That in and of itsself is a huge undertaking.

Apples and oranges. Both are two totally different technologies, both equally great and complex.

I'll agree with the apples and oranges, but with one caveat: for the structure and the surface, the B-2 is far, far more complex than a submarine and most of the technology involved in the stealth shape was brand new, whereas the structural issues of getting a sub down to 4000 feet were worked out decades ago.

Also, sub stealth is achieved through different means than airplane stealth (though they could be done the same way).

apple and oranges... with planes you are trying to create a low radar profile. With subs the question of stealth boils down to platform noise. The shape of the hull/sail, minimizing cavitation on the screw, and keeping machinery noise to a tolerable level (off platform radiated acoustics) determines a subs stealth capability.

venuesystem said:
apple and oranges... with planes you are trying to create a low radar profile. With subs the question of stealth boils down to platform noise. The shape of the hull/sail, minimizing cavitation on the screw, and keeping machinery noise to a tolerable level (off platform radiated acoustics) determines a subs stealth capability.

Don't forget the sound deadening material used to cover the sub(it's as advanced as RAM on the stealth airplane) and the screw is designed to do more than minimize cavitation. The shape also has a lot to do with the acoustic profile of the sub (banded or not, number of blades, how clean it is...)

Apples and oranges or not, I'd say Subs---having worked in one for some time---are exceedingly advanced vehicles. I might be so inclined to say they are more advanced than an aircraft. Structurally, they have to survive in a much more harsh environment. Acoustically they are on par with stealth aircraft's ability to avoid radar. From a weaponry aspect, subs carry the same or equiv weapons onboard. Now throw in a nuclear reactor, a diesel, O2 generator, desalinator plant, sonar, CO2 scrubber, living quarters, a battery, etc and it all adds up to a more advanced piece of engineering. When I say advanced I don't mean cutting edge though many subs in the US Navy are cram-packed with cutting edge technology what I mean is trying to pack everything needed to make a sub livable for a crew of 140 underwater for greater than 60 days as quietly as possible requires a lot of engineering. Moreover, from the nuclear perspective, the powerplant on a US sub is among the most over designed pieces of equipment you'll encounter. The shutdown margine on a sub far and away exceeds any commercial plant on the planet for a good reason.

While the structural 'shape' was reworked in the 60's to the teardrop design used today the surface covering is new relatively speaking. In fact it took the US a decade to recover from espionage resulting in the Russians surpassing our ability to run quiet for a short period of time. The overall design of the B2 OTOH was designed in the 30's(if not before then). The YB-49 first flew in 47.

Anywho, my penny goes in the Sub's hat.

1. What is the difference between a submarine and a stealth bomber?

A submarine is a watercraft that operates underwater, while a stealth bomber is an aircraft designed to avoid detection by radar and other detection systems. Submarines are primarily used for underwater warfare, while stealth bombers are used for air strikes and reconnaissance missions.

2. How do submarines and stealth bombers operate?

Submarines use a combination of propulsion systems, such as nuclear power or diesel engines, to move underwater. They also have various sensors and weapons for communication and defense. Stealth bombers use advanced technology, such as radar-absorbent materials and special design features, to evade detection and carry out their missions.

3. What are the advantages of using a submarine or a stealth bomber?

Submarines provide a stealthy and highly mobile platform for conducting underwater operations, such as surveillance and missile attacks. They can also travel undetected for long periods of time and carry a large amount of supplies and weapons. Stealth bombers, on the other hand, can penetrate enemy defenses and strike targets with precision, making them ideal for strategic strikes and reconnaissance missions.

4. How do submarines and stealth bombers stay hidden from detection?

Submarines use a combination of techniques, such as operating at lower depths, using quiet propulsion systems, and utilizing advanced sonar technology, to avoid detection. Stealth bombers use a variety of methods, including radar-absorbent materials, special coatings, and advanced avionics, to reduce their radar signature and remain undetected by enemy defenses.

5. What are the potential risks and challenges associated with operating submarines and stealth bombers?

Submarines face risks such as collisions, equipment malfunctions, and oxygen supply issues, which can be dangerous for the crew. Stealth bombers may encounter difficulties with enemy air defenses or encounter mechanical problems during flight. Both types of vehicles require well-trained and skilled personnel to operate effectively and safely.