Happy 4th of JulyFlip Early, Flip Often

• Thread starter hypatia
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different techniques for grilling, including the idea of flipping meat every four or five minutes versus only once. The speaker prefers to sear both sides and take the meat off, while also mentioning the preference for less cooked meat. The conversation also mentions the opinion of Alton Brown.
hypatia
"So you flip every four or five minutes. Sometimes I flip every two or three, depending on what else I'm doing"

http://www.robertkbrown.com/2002/05/31/everything_you_thought_you_knew_about_grilling_is_wrong.html

Hope everyone has a great 4th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bah, those rules don't work well for me. I put my steak on, let the first side get seared (just enough to leave the grill marks; usually this is the time it takes me to walk inside with the plate I carried the steak out on and get a clean one for the cooked food), flip it and sear the other side, and then take it off, it's done! With that guy's instructions, the meat would all be horribly overcooked! If you're leaving it on one side long enough for the juices to leak out toward the top, it's already too overcooked for me before you even flip it. (Yeah, I tend to prefer almost raw food.)

Moonbear said:
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah.

It pains me to say it, but she's right, you know.

Yep, sear it on one side, flip, sear the other side and it's done. If someone tells me they it more done, I just cook it a bit longer before I flip, but it only gets flipped once.

I wonder what Alton Brown has to say.

Moonbear said:
(Yeah, I tend to prefer almost raw food.)
ah, Finally a real woman.

1. What does "Flip Early, Flip Often" mean?

"Flip Early, Flip Often" is a phrase often used during the 4th of July holiday to remind people to regularly turn over their grilled or barbecued food to ensure even cooking and prevent burning.

2. Why is the 4th of July considered a happy holiday?

The 4th of July is considered a happy holiday because it marks the day of independence for the United States, when the Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776. It is a day of celebration, patriotism, and often includes parades, fireworks, and family gatherings.

3. How did the 4th of July become a national holiday?

The 4th of July became a national holiday in 1870 when Congress made it an unpaid federal holiday. It was later changed to a paid holiday in 1938. The holiday was declared to celebrate the birth of the United States as an independent nation and to honor the founding fathers who signed the Declaration of Independence.

4. What are some traditional foods eaten on the 4th of July?

Some traditional foods eaten on the 4th of July include hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, corn on the cob, and apple pie. These foods are often associated with outdoor barbecues or picnics, which are popular ways to celebrate the holiday.

5. How do people typically celebrate the 4th of July?

People typically celebrate the 4th of July by attending parades, watching fireworks displays, having outdoor barbecues or picnics, and wearing patriotic clothing or accessories. Some also attend concerts or festivals, visit historical sites, or participate in community events to commemorate the holiday.