Difference between double and repeated integrals

In summary: Basically, a "double" integral is an integral that is evaluated over a two dimensional area, while a "repeated" integral is an integral that is evaluated over a region that is repeated a certain number of times.
Benny
Hi, I'm just having some trouble with definitions. I've googled repeated integrals but I haven't yet come across something which has answered my question. Anyway, I'd like to know what the difference is, between double and repeated integrals. For example if I had:

[tex]
\int\limits_0^2 {\int\limits_0^x {x^2 y} dydx}
[/tex]

I would evaluate it as follows.

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int\limits_0^2 {\left[ {\frac{{x^2 y^2 }}{2}} \right]} _{y = 0}^{y = x} dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int\limits_0^2 {\left( {\frac{{x^4 }}{2}} \right)} dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= \left[ {\frac{{x^5 }}{5}} \right]_0^2
[/tex]

= 32/5.

Now I assume that I've just evaluated the integral as a "double integral." The question booklet I have lists the question under "repeated integrals." I'm wondering what the difference is and how I can evaluate this integral as a repeated integral. The only thing I can gather about repeated integrals(from the little bits of info I've found on google) is that the integration is done repeatedly wrt one variable but I'm not sure how that works. Can someone please explain to me how to evaluate this integral as a repeated integral? The answer is 16/5.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benny said:
Hi, I'm just having some trouble with definitions. I've googled repeated integrals but I haven't yet come across something which has answered my question. Anyway, I'd like to know what the difference is, between double and repeated integrals. For example if I had:

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
= \color{red} \left ( \frac{1}{2} \right ) \cdot \color{black} \left[ {\frac{{x^5 }}{5}} \right]_0^2 \color{red} \ = \ \frac{16}{5}
[/tex]

= 32/5.

Now I assume that I've just evaluated the integral as a "double integral." The question booklet I have lists the question under "repeated integrals." I'm wondering what the difference is and how I can evaluate this integral as a repeated integral. The only thing I can gather about repeated integrals(from the little bits of info I've found on google) is that the integration is done repeatedly wrt one variable but I'm not sure how that works. Can someone please explain to me how to evaluate this integral as a repeated integral? The answer is 16/5.
the answer to above integral is 16/5.
you forgot the factor of (1/2) shown in RED above.

Benny said:

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
= \color{red} \left ( \frac{1}{2} \right ) \cdot \color{black} \left[ {\frac{{x^5 }}{5}} \right]_0^2 \color{red} \ = \ \frac{16}{5}
[/tex]

= 32/5.

there's no practical difference between a "double integral" and a "repeated integral". the term "repeated integral" generally refers to the method used to evalute a "double integral":

[tex] \mbox{Double Integral = } \int \, \int_{(2D) Region} f(x,y) \, dA \ = \ \int \, \int_{(x,y) Region} f(x,y) \, dx \, dy \ \mbox{ = Repeated Integral} [/tex]

in your solution above (except for the error shown in RED), you evaluated the "double integral" over a (2D) Region with the method of "repeated integrals" over an (x,y) Region, by first integrating wrt "y" and then integrating wrt "x".

Last edited:
What you did is a "repeated" integral because you first found the integral with respect to y and then "repeated" the process- found the derivative of the result with respect to x. A "double" integral is, as geosonel said, an integral over a two dimensional area, not necessarily saying anything about the coordinate system.
It is a basic theorem that, given a specific coordinate system, we can change a double integral into a repeated integral ("Fubini's Theorem"). Typically, we set up a problem in terms of a double integral and then change to a repeated integral to evaluate the integral.

I just rechecked my working and after attempting some of the questions I did last night, again, I've founded that my initial attempts had many arithmetic errors which lead to deviations from the correct answer. Thanks for the help guys.

1. What is the difference between a double integral and a repeated integral?

A double integral is an integral that involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region, whereas a repeated integral is the process of applying a single integral multiple times to evaluate a function with respect to different variables.

2. How is the notation different for double and repeated integrals?

In a double integral, the function being integrated is written as f(x,y) and the integral is denoted as ∫ ∫ f(x,y) dA. In a repeated integral, the function being integrated is written as f(x) and the integral is denoted as ∫ f(x) dx, with the variable of integration changing for each iteration.

3. When should I use a double integral versus a repeated integral?

A double integral is typically used when you need to find the volume under a curved surface or the area of a region in a two-dimensional plane. A repeated integral is used when you need to find the total change of a function over a given interval.

4. What is the geometric interpretation of a double integral?

The geometric interpretation of a double integral is the volume under a curved surface in a three-dimensional space. This is because the double integral is essentially the sum of infinitely small rectangles that make up the surface.

5. Can a double integral be written as a repeated integral?

Yes, a double integral can be written as a repeated integral by integrating the function with respect to one variable first, and then integrating the resulting function with respect to the other variable. This is known as iterated integration.