Advice on Genetics Study for A-Level Student

In summary, if you are interested in studying genetics, it is important to research the admission requirements for medical school and consider getting a bachelor's degree before applying. It is also worth looking into universities that offer genetics as a concentration within a biology degree. The decision to pursue medical school or a PhD should also be carefully considered, as they will offer different paths for studying genetics. Consulting with a school counselor can also provide more specific guidance for your individual plan.
Abodunrin05
I really want to study genetics, but I'm not too sure how to go about it. My dad is advising me to get a degree in medice first, but shouldn't i just study genetics as my first degree? Please give me some advice about what to do. I am at my final year at secondary school(high school) and I'm doing my A-levels in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

Biology news on Phys.org
In Canada, most medical school requires at least 3 years of undergraduate study before enterring. So you should look into the admission requirements in states/country. You might have to get a bachelor degree.

Also, genetics is not always a degree that is given. You have to look into the university curriculum. It is sometimes offer as a concentration in biology.

Is medical school a personnal choice or are your parents pushing you? There is always posibility to combine thing such as being a medical doctor that study genetics disease in clinical setting.

Abodunrin05 said:
I really want to study genetics, but I'm not too sure how to go about it. My dad is advising me to get a degree in medice first, but shouldn't i just study genetics as my first degree? Please give me some advice about what to do. I am at my final year at secondary school(high school) and I'm doing my A-levels in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

It sounds from IanSmith's post that Canada is similar to the States. The requirements for most biology fields are roughly the same, so when I went to school years ago they didn't give majors in specific biological fields.

I ended up with a BS in biology (and I took extra genetic coursework - which really amounts to cell biology, virology, molecular biology, extra chemistry coursework) and there may have been something like "emphasis in genetics" on the degree. I think the pre-med students had the same spectrum of classes, with probably some anatomy and physiology thrown in.

The genetics degree came about in graduate school. I would suggest talking to your school counselor for better specifics about your individual plan.

It sounds like he's in England/the UK if he's doing A-Levels but maybe he's not

Last edited:
You may need to sit down and figure out from what angle do you want to study genetics. As mentioned earlier, if you go the medical degree route you have the option of working in a clinical setting with patients and perhaps doing research into the genetic aspects of some particular disease. If you want to do more focused, basic science research, you might consider going to graduate school and getting a PhD. This will most likely lead to a more laboratory-based level of research, although you could go into epidemiology or again clinical research and still work with people.

Either of these routes is going to expose you to some level of genetics along the way and illustrate how it relates to biology, chemistry, etc and from there you can tailor your course work to suit your needs. The PhD route may give you more flexibility in that respect, especially if you select a school with a strong genetics program, the MD will probably require more "off-topic" course work.

1. What is the importance of studying genetics at the A-level?

Studying genetics at the A-level level is important because it provides a foundation for understanding the fundamental principles of genetics and how they contribute to the development and functioning of living organisms. This is essential for pursuing further studies in biology, medicine, or other related fields.

2. What are the key topics covered in A-level genetics?

Some of the key topics covered in A-level genetics include inheritance patterns, DNA structure and function, gene expression, genetic engineering, and biotechnology. Students will also learn about the ethical and social implications of genetics and genetic research.

3. How can I prepare for A-level genetics exams?

To prepare for A-level genetics exams, it is important to review class notes, textbooks, and other study materials. Practice questions and past exam papers can also be helpful in identifying areas that need more focus. It is also important to attend class regularly and seek help from teachers or tutors if needed.

4. What skills are necessary for success in A-level genetics?

Some of the key skills necessary for success in A-level genetics include critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Students should also have a strong foundation in biology and chemistry, as well as good study habits and time management skills.

5. Are there any recommended resources for studying A-level genetics?

There are several recommended resources for studying A-level genetics, such as textbooks, online resources, and review books. Some popular resources include "Genetics: Analysis and Principles" by Robert Brooker, "Genetics Essentials: Concepts and Connections" by Benjamin Pierce, and "Cracking the AP Biology Exam" by The Princeton Review.