Question about tourists that give correct answers and wrong answers.

• Thread starter Alexsandro
  • Start date
In summary: If the answer remained West, the probability that East is nevertheless correct would be 9/10 (=90%). But by asking for the fourth time, the probability that East is correct is raised to 100%! How can this be justified?In summary, the probability that East is correct is 9/10.
Alexsandro
Can someone help me with this question ?

You are lost in the National Park of Bandrika. Tourists comprise two-thirds of the visitors to the park, and give a correct answer to request for directions with probability 3/4. (Answers to repeated questions are independent, even if the question and the person are the same). If you ask a Bandrikan for directions, the answer is always false.

(a) You ask a passer-by whether the exit from the park is East or West. The answer is East. What is the probability that is correct ?

(b) You ask the same person again, and receive the same reply. Show the probability that it is correct is 1/2.

(c) You ask the same person again, and receive the same reply. What is the probability that is correct ?

(d) You ask for the fourth time, and receive the answer East. Show that the probability it is correct is 27/70.

(e) Show that, had the fourth answer been West instead, the probability that that East is nevertheless correct is 9/10.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexsandro said:
Can someone help me with this question ?

You are lost in the National Park of Bandrika. Tourists comprise two-thirds of the visitors to the park, and give a correct answer to request for directions with probability 3/4. (Answers to repeated questions are independent, even if the question and the person are the same). If you ask a Bandrikan for directions, the answer is always false.
Well, arent the Bandrikans nasty!

(a) You ask a passer-by whether the exit from the park is East or West. The answer is East. What is the probability that is correct ?
There is, according to this, a 2/3 chance that the person you asked is a tourist. If that is true, the probability that they answer correctly is 3/4. Probability that the person you ask is a tourist and answers correctly is (2/3)(3/4)= 1/2. Strictly speaking, we should now add the probability that the person asked is a Bandrikan and they answer correctly but the probabilty of that is (1/3)(0)= 0. The probability of getting a correct answer is 1/2.

b)You ask the same person again, and receive the same reply. Show the probability that it is correct is 1/2.
I don't understand this! Why would we expect the person, whether tourist or Bandrikan, to give a different answer? We are told that the probability that the tourist will answer correctly is 3/4 but I wouldn't assume that two answers in a row are independent! If the tourist believed, rightly or wrongly, that the exit was East and told you that the first time, why wouldn't he/she answer the same the second time? In any case, the answer is exactly what it was in (a): 1/2!

On the other hand, IF we are to assume that the tourist is answering at random, with probability of being right 3/4 each time, independently of any previous answer (which seems to me a very strange assumption), then I would argue that the probability of a tourist being correct two times in a row is (3/4)(3/4)= 9/16 and the probability of a tourist being wrong two times in a row is (1/4)(1/4)= 1/16. The probability of a tourist being correct two times in a row given that they gave the same answer two times in a row, is (9/16)/(9/16+ 1/16)= (9/16)(16/10)= 9/10. The probability of asking a tourist and getting the correct answer two times in a row (under these hypotheses) is (9/10)(2/3)= 3/5, NOT 1/2!

(c) You ask the same person again, and receive the same reply. What is the probability that is correct ?
A third time? I would have to answer 1/2 again because, again, I see no reason for either tourist or Bandrikan to change his/her answer!

IF we are to assume that the tourist is answering at random, with probability of being right 3/4 each time, independently of any previous answer, then I would argue that there was a (2/3) chance that the person we asked was a tourist and, each time, there was a 3/4 chance of getting a correct answer: The probability that a tourist answers correctly 3 times in a row is (3/4)(3/4)(3/4)= 27/64 and the probability that a tourist answer incorrectly 3 times in a row is (1/4)(1/4)(1/4)= 1/64. The probability that a tourist answers correctly three times in a row given that they answer the same three times in a row is (27/64)/((27/64)+ (1/64))= (27/64)(64/28)= 27/28. The probability that the person you ask is a tourist and answer correctly three times in a row would be (2/3)(27/28)= 9/14.

(d) You ask for the fourth time, and receive the answer East. Show that the probability it is correct is 27/70.
This is getting ridiculous! How dumb do they think the tourists are? If I were the tourist and you asked me the same question 4 times in a row, I would punch you in the nose! My answer would still be 1/2, not 27/70!
But: probability that the tourist, answering randomly, gets the question right 4 times in a row is (3/4)4= 81/256 and the answer that the tourist gets the question wrong 4 times in a row is (1/4)4= 1/256.
The probability that the tourist gets the question right 4 times in a row given that they answered the same way 4 times in a row is (81/256)/((81/256)+ (1/256))= (81/256)(256/82)= 81/82. The probability that you asked a tourist and he/she answered correctly 4 times in a row is (2/3)(81/82)= 27/41, not 27/70!

(e) Show that, had the fourth answer been West instead, the probability that that East is nevertheless correct is 9/10.
Oh, I give up!

It looks like if you ask the same person more than once, then you have to change the probability they are a Bandrikan or a tourist based on the sequence of answers. If you get a sequence of the same answers then the likelihood that you are talking to a Bandrikan increases. Conversely if you get a different answer then you must be talking to a Tourist. To work this out you need Bayes Rule, which is explained in http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~norman/BBNs/Bayes_rule.htm

Hey, it is a very very old posthttp://debtreliefohio.org/ohio-chapter-11/" but I am stuck at it due to the hilarious topic. Can you us some more data on the Bandrikans? Who are they, where do they live?

Last edited by a moderator:

I can help answer this question using the concepts of probability and independent events.

(a) The probability of a tourist giving a correct answer is 3/4, so the probability that the answer is correct is also 3/4.

(b) Since the question and the person are the same, the events are independent and the probability of receiving the same answer twice in a row is (3/4)^2 = 9/16. Therefore, the probability that the answer is correct is 9/16.

(c) Following the same logic as (b), the probability of receiving the same answer three times in a row is (3/4)^3 = 27/64. Therefore, the probability that the answer is correct is 27/64.

(d) Since the question and the person are the same, the events are independent and the probability of receiving the same answer four times in a row is (3/4)^4 = 81/256. However, the question states that the answer is East, so we need to take into account the fact that the answer is always false when asked to a Bandrikan. This means that the probability of receiving the correct answer is actually (3/4)^4 - (1/3)^4 = 81/256 - 1/81 = 27/70.

(e) If the fourth answer is West, the probability of receiving the correct answer is (3/4)^3 * (1/4) = 9/64. However, since the fourth answer is West, it means that the previous three answers were also West, which means that the probability of receiving the correct answer is (1/4)^3 = 1/64. Therefore, the probability that East is still the correct answer is (9/64) / (1/64) = 9/10.

1. What is the purpose of asking tourists questions that they may answer correctly or incorrectly?

The purpose of asking tourists questions is to gather information and data about their experiences and perspectives. By asking questions that may have both correct and incorrect answers, researchers can gain insight into how tourists perceive and understand certain topics or destinations.

2. How do you ensure that the tourists are giving accurate answers to the questions?

To ensure accuracy, researchers may use various methods such as cross-checking responses with other sources, asking follow-up questions, or conducting multiple surveys with different groups of tourists. Additionally, the questions should be well-designed and unbiased to avoid leading or misleading responses.

3. What are some potential challenges in obtaining accurate answers from tourists?

Some potential challenges in obtaining accurate answers from tourists include language barriers, cultural differences, and the possibility of respondents giving socially desirable answers. It can also be difficult to verify the credibility of the information provided by tourists, as they may not have a thorough understanding of the topic being questioned.

4. How can the data collected from tourists' answers be used in research?

The data collected from tourists' answers can be used in various ways, such as identifying trends and patterns, understanding the impact of tourism on a destination, and informing decision-making for businesses and governments in the tourism industry. It can also be used to gain insights into tourists' perceptions, behaviors, and preferences.

5. Is there a risk of bias in the data collected from tourists' answers?

There is a potential risk of bias in the data collected from tourists' answers, as they may not be representative of the entire population of tourists. Tourists who are willing to participate in surveys may have different characteristics or perspectives compared to those who do not. It is important for researchers to acknowledge and consider this potential bias when analyzing and interpreting the data.