The cosmos and human behaviour

In summary, some people believe that aspects of human behavior are a microcosim of the behavior of the cosmos.
cosmicbro
All,

Is anyone aware of any theories or studies examining the relationship between the behaviour of the cosmos and that of human beings? For example: The gravitational pull of large (or small) bodies in nature causes them to be attracted to or repelled from each other, human beings are attracted to or repelled by other humans. Are aspects of our behaviour a microcosim of what is obviously a very massive and very ancient universe?

Last night after I thought about my question a bit more I realized that some might take me to mean that I was fascinated in something akin to astrology-my idea is a bit different.

I am aware that astrology seeks to describe the influence of the stars on human behaviour, but what I'm talking about is more sublime. The science of cosmology, which can be both quantified and qualified in scientific terms is relatively new and discoveries are being made about the behaviour of matter, from the subatomic level to the level of stars and star systems.

Here's my attempt at a syllogism:

the universe is composed of matter and energy (basically).
those elements interact with each other in myriad ways, across time and space.
our physical bodies are umtimately composed of those elements, therefore we are a reflection of a very very ancient cosmos, one that is constantly evolving.
all matter (and energy) in the cosmos is ultimately recycled
therefore if our bodies are composed of some form of recycled cosmic material are not our souls as well?
and, is it possible that our very social systems, as well as our individuality are reflections of some form of yet to be discovered cosmic order?

Doug

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
phobos, this might be leading to astrology...might go better in the debunking forum, but in the meantime, i will take a stab at it:

cosmicbro, i am unsure if you are referring to astrology or not, but there is no proof of the planets exerting an influence on humans affecting their behavior:smile:

as far as studies, i don't know...as far as theories, people tend to think astrology does in theory, however, it does not influence human behavior, it reflects:wink:

Welcome to Physics Forums, cosmicbro! :smile:

I'm sure this can be an interesting discussion, but I don't think it fits in the astronomy forum. Not quite sure where it fits...could go under skepticism/debunking like Kerrie said...but it seems more like a thinking-out-loud about new ideas rather than making definitive claims. Let's try this in Theory Development and hope it doesn't get lost. I'll leave a marker to point people's attention to it.

Enjoy!

1. How does the cosmos impact human behavior?

The cosmos, or the vast and complex universe, can have a profound influence on human behavior. For example, celestial events such as solar flares and lunar cycles have been linked to changes in mood and behavior. Additionally, the concept of cosmic interconnectedness may shape our perceptions and beliefs about the world and our place in it.

2. Is there a connection between astrology and human behavior?

While many people believe in the power of astrology to predict and explain human behavior, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. Astrology is not a scientifically recognized discipline and its predictions are often vague and open to interpretation.

3. How does the study of the cosmos contribute to our understanding of human behavior?

The study of the cosmos, particularly in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology, can provide insights into the origins and evolution of the universe. This knowledge can help us understand the fundamental forces and principles that govern the universe, which may in turn inform our understanding of human behavior and consciousness.

4. How have cultural and societal beliefs about the cosmos influenced human behavior throughout history?

Throughout history, cultural and societal beliefs about the cosmos have played a significant role in shaping human behavior. For example, ancient civilizations often worshiped and attributed human-like qualities to celestial bodies, which impacted their beliefs and actions. Similarly, modern religions often have teachings and rituals related to the cosmos that can influence behavior.

5. Can studying the cosmos help us better understand our place in the universe and our purpose as humans?

Studying the cosmos can certainly provide a deeper understanding of our place in the universe and our purpose as humans. By learning about the vastness and complexity of the cosmos, we can gain perspective on our own existence and contemplate the big questions about life, consciousness, and our place in the grand scheme of things.